Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Why do serious Legion discussions seem to be ignored? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why do serious Legion discussions seem to be ignored?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm.... 4 hours 39 minutes before the sillies set in on this one. Of course, trans fat is a very serious health issue....

You know, I was going to get into a long and serious discussion with Greybird on the subject of sentience/consciousness in animals and humans over on some thread, but I just didn't have the energy by the time I got home on Thursday. Serious threads tned to take effort and, as some have pointed out, you're not always able to devote that effort - temporally, mentally, intellectually.

See how deftly she brings this back on topic, but doesn't, alas, add anything new to the discussion. She had to go back and correct the math too. Such work!

[ July 19, 2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
See, this has been a very informative thread with some well-thought-out responses.

There's nothing really more for me to add.

Which is why I normally wouldn't make this post.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
And that's where you're wrong Lash. I really don't think my response was well thought out at all.

Maybe some of the others were, but mine definitively was not.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
First off, thanks, Dev Em, for acting on my suggestion. I was hoping to start such a thread when I had time, but that didn't happen today. It's nice that someone else stepped up to bat.

Lack of time to post thoughtful remarks seems to be the recurring theme of this thread. I understand this. Posting in a fan forum is meant to be fun, not the stuff of graduate theses.

It happens that I and maybe certain others find the serious topics to be fun. I enjoy learning, and one way to learn is from other people's points of view. One need not be a Legion scholar or even a fan of several decades to have a strong opinion on something. Sometimes the best opinions are the fresh ones, from people who are relatively new to the Legion.

As it happens, I initiate very few topics. I seem to be more comfortable responding to questions put forth by others than in generating my own topics. So, I understand people's reluctance to put a lot of thought into posting, or not wanting to look stupid. (Though that shouldn't stop you -- I'll wager every one of us has said something we've later regretted. I know I have. Looking "stupid" just means you took a risk; some risks pay off, others don't.)

So, anyway, I appreciate the feedback that this topic has generated. It opens up some questions: Should our serious topics be a little less thought-provoking? Should we try to be more concise, or break up our thoughts in some way? What would be the most effective means of having serious discussions that more people would feel comfortable (or less constrained by time) to participate in?

Any suggestions?

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I've seen some people say that they don't feel qualified to enter into some of the deeper discussions and that's too bad -- I say don't feel intimidated by the initial post. Even if you can find one point to comment on, do it. No one expects everyone to be able to research their points and expound on them as much as the initial post. Or ask questions if someone is talking about a part of Legion history that you're unaware of. Or post your thoughts based solely on the title of the thread, stating that you haven't been able to read through all the posts -- it might still be of interest. We're all hear to listen to everyone's opinions (I assume).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
It is a bit intimidating to reply to some of thses posts. I have been reading the Legion for 20 plus years, but to see the thought some of you guys put into things.

Well, it reminds me of when I was younger. I would count the panels that each Legionnaire appeared in each issue. It was a long process and I'm not even sure why I did it. I would then add them all up to see which Legionnaires were getting the most screen time!

I wish I still had those papers and I wish that I had the enthusiasm that I had back then.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking for myself, I've have 2 fundamental problems contributing to more "serious" topics, ones that haven't been brought up in this topic thus far:

1) I get a monthly shipment of comics through a mail order service. This means that everyone has read the latest issue of Legion before me. So if a current issue is being discussed, I haven't read it. And by the time I read it, everyone's talking about the NEXT issue I'm waiting on!

2) The first year or two on the Legion message boards I really mined all the "serious" topics I wanted to talk about regarding the Legion's history. So if I see, for example, a topic on some aspect of TMK, I think, "oh well...been there, done that." Basically, I've seen it all at this point, so new serious debates or discussions about runs preceding the current one rarely hold any interest for me.

But the humorous topics I find fresher and more interesting to contribute to. This make any sense?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I have to say a lot of it for me is the time thing. Plus I just don't have the ability I once used to have of being able to come up with a well thought out, serious discussion on any topic, not just the Legion. Currently work and real life keeps me from really trying to get back into the swing of any deep philosophical dicussion. I've already mentioned elsewhere what I did at work the last two days but its is hard to focus on the fun stuff, like the Legion, when your head is full of database info.

I can understand how it feels to post something you've spent a lot of time thinking out and have no one reply. Which is why I try to post a thank you to each one done even if I don't have a better response. Let's face it, some of you are way out of my league when it comes to how well you can add 2 and 2 and come up with e=mc2.

I've been reading this book (or its serveral incarnates) since my father died in 1975. In a lot of ways the Legion was there for me when I needed it and this board is some small repayment of that. Without all of you (especially Gary) it wouldn't be the same. I've a number of other on-line friends that I came to know because of the Legion but it doesn't mean the same to them and they have other outside obsessions (mostly on-line e-mail games and HeroClix). You guys give me a sounding board for the serious stuff, even if I don't participate, and the light heartedness I always need.

So I guess I'm thanking you all again and hope that we all continue to consider Legion World your home. For serious discussion or not.

[Edited because I couldn't make sense out of my last sentance. See, that's why I avoid serious discussion. [Wink] ]

[ July 19, 2003, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.