Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Where are the middle names?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where are the middle names?
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Did they fall somewhere by the wayside between 2000 and 3000?

The only one I can think of is R.J. Brande, and even then Rene Jacques may be an unhyphenated double first name.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
*ahem*!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

No, I think your name is Edavis and you broke it.
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Middle names fell into disuse after the great computer storage crisis of 2742, not unlike our own much-feared Y2K. I don't profess to understand all the technical details, but some dominant operating system at the time was sloppily-enough written that, with an expanding galactic population, they were running out of storage space for recording people's names (and had unmentionably frightful problems with area codes, I might mention).

Therefore, most planets passed a law (this was pre-U.P. but there was some form of economic cooperation) that all children born after 2743 would not have middle names recorded. You could give junior as many names as you wanted (important for lingerign vestiges of royalty) but they wouldn't be official. Most people didn't bother with middle names after that, although you always have a few eccentrics. Hence Eryk Davis. As for Rene Jacques, he forgot to drop the second name when he came from wherever he came in the post-boot.

I thought everyone knew this....

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Cargg surely protested?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
They actually had their own separate system, something about"binary" that they didn't accept. Why they don't have middle names is due to the objection of the word "middle" as applied to people. Nobody wants to be the middle triplet, or sit in the middle, etc. - so instead, all their first names have three syllables.

Here again, you have the occasional crackpot who wants to be different - but we know where that gets you on Cargg. It gets you off Cargg, if you're lucky.

Any other questions?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Very imaginative scenario, Fats. LOL.

Most comic book characters don't have middle names as a general rule. It's just one more detail to keep track of, probably. Does Clark Kent have middle name, or Bruce Wayne?

For that matter, most comic book names are very easy to remember and rather generic, U.S. sounding. Barry Allen ... Hal Jordan ... Steve Rogers ... Tony Stark ... Peter Parker. You don't find many Steinhauers or Knauteruds in comics. Guess creators worry that if fans can't pronounce 'em, they won't want to read about 'em.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Blast-Off had a middle name -- Jahr Drake Ningle
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.