Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » If you were in charge of a toy company... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you were in charge of a toy company...
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Which female and male Legionnaire action figure would you be sure your company made next? and from which era would the figures be from?

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
For a female figure, Triad. All three versions in separate blister packs. Because we know all of us completists would buy them because of the different eye color and outfit.

As for the male, I'm not sure. They've done enough of them for awhile, counting the upcoming figs. But I'd have to go with something current, maybe Gear because of the cool attachments.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Dawnstar. Twelve inches tall. Twenty points of articulation. Flappable wings by radio remote control. Classic and late-Giffen buckskin outfits. ... Hey, if I'm the prez, what's the point if I can't indulge an occasional personal whim? No more stock options for my trouble and travail, these days!

Seriously, the Triad example, especially for compulsive collectors, is undeniably compelling. For the men, Wildfire is long overdue and is underrated as to his appeal. A character without a face will get younger buyers' imagination jump-started.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
For the men, Wildfire is long overdue and is underrated as to his appeal. A character without a face will get younger buyers' imagination jump-started.

It worked for me!(so did Ferro for that matter) Seriously, I think the fact that the Legionnaires don't wear masks was a reason I never warmed to them as a child. McCloud's "Understanding Comics" goes into this theory at length, but having less defined faces or *masked* protagonists can create a vacuum that more freely allows the reader to identify with him/her.

And to answer the question, I'll agree with Grey and say Dawnstar and Wildfire. Dawnstar because its obvious from looking at her what her powers are (and pretty wings!) and Wildfire cuz he fuckin' rocks! [Smile]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I have to agree that Wildfire, and especially Dawnstar, would be extremely cool, but I stand by my original choices simply based on marketing. Triad for the multiple purchase and Gear because every kid knows the more attachments, the better the toy.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
I have to agree that Wildfire, and especially Dawnstar, would be extremely cool, but I stand by my original choices simply based on marketing. Triad for the multiple purchase and Gear because every kid knows the more attachments, the better the toy.

Sadly, I can't see kids wanting even one Triad, let alone three (unless her profile were pumped up ahead of time) and if you want to mass market it to Wal-Mart et al, Gear's skin color ain't gonna cut it, regardless of attachments.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:

Sadly, I can't see kids wanting even one Triad, let alone three (unless her profile were pumped up ahead of time) and if you want to mass market it to Wal-Mart et al, Gear's skin color ain't gonna cut it, regardless of attachments.
Maybe on the East Coast but I'd have to say that wouldn't hold true out here in the West. Even in Utah the Barbies you can never get unless you are first in line are the ones of color. Old white skin blonde haired Barbie Christmas can be found on the self well after Valentine's Day.
DrakeB3004

Maybe I was making assumptions, but would the case you're speaking of have to do with the number of Barbie's of color versus the number of causasian Barbie's in stock? I'd suspect so -- you wouldn't happen to know would you?
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
Maybe I was making assumptions, but would the case you're speaking of have to do with the number of Barbie's of color versus the number of causasian Barbie's in stock? I'd suspect so -- you wouldn't happen to know would you?

You're right that I don't know how many of each they get at the various stores (we usually hit Wal-Mart) but after 12 years of living here in Happy Valley you would think that if it were as simple as ordering more African-American (I'm sorry, that is the right PC term still isn't it) Barbies they would do it. Without fail, every year when Caroline goes to get her Holiday Barbie, if we don't get there on the day the case(s) is opened, we don't get her non-caucasian Barbie.
DrakeB3004

I think that may only prove my point -- that dolls of color are so poorly underordered because some retailers just don't want to bother and don't want to have any overstock because they don't think they'll be able to get rid off them.

This is kinda depressing to talk about ... oh! How about a rubber Bouncing Boy spaceship that's also a mega-super bouncing ball??

Legion Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Anatomically correct Proty.

--------------------
My powers are Legion!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
There should probably be a Proty Beanie Baby, or a Proty/Play-Do tie-in.

For general appeal, I would think Dawnstar would clinch it. Well, Shikari might too - do kids go for the alien, or would they prefer the more terran doll? Even without the radio-controlled wings - she would be an impressive figure, surely igniting the imagination of little kid and big kid minds alike.

Wildfire and Gear could appeal to the sci-fi interest. They look futuristic.

I thought a radio-controlled, talking Quislet doll would be fun - but you'd probably have to be a Legionaholic to appreciate it.

You probably would have a hard time identifying with a Proty doll too, unless you're a Legion fan, but at least you could squeeze it as a stress reliever. Or play office basketball with it. Or lob it at people. Doorstop. Paperweight. Plug a hole in the roof. Puppy chew toy. I have no respect.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know if it's the same for Barbie as other toys but I used to have a friend who was a fiend for Star Wars toys, bought about 4 of everything and opened 1 of them, and I think the stores can only order "1 case - Star Wars action figure assortment." There was always a figure that only shipped 1 per case and it was the one the serious collectors would kill each other for. A lot of the time it was the female figure like Leia. If it's the same with Barbies, there may be one non-caucasion per case and the stores can't really do anything about it.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by minesurfer:
Which female and male Legionnaire action figure would you be sure your company made next? and from which era would the figures be from?

We've got enough male figures coming that I'd focus on the ladies: Phantom Girl, Shrinking Violet, and Triplicate Girl. All Adventure-era versions.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
For some reason, this thread has me fixated on the idea that a Tyroc figure would be a real hoot. Pixie boots rule!
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.