Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Cultural/Historical Influences On The Legion (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cultural/Historical Influences On The Legion
Reep
Resigned

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
I was recalling some of the Adventure stories and a couple 1960s references in them got me to wondering about what other cultural (and now historical) influences have become a part of Legion Lore.

The two that prompted my wondering were The Time Trapper's "Iron Curtain of Time," a reference to the coldwar description of Soviet control of Eastern Europe, and the naming of Starfinger as a play on the popular James Bond movie of the time Goldfinger.

What other such non-comic cultural/historical influences have their been on the Legion?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
The famous Damn Tabloid (All-New Collectors' Edition C-55) that had Garth and Imra's wedding -- in an alternate, militarized 30th Century -- had an interesting departure point from the "real Legion timeline," I always thought. It was, they said, the disbanding of the United Nations in the late 1970s.

I never decided whether it meant that the timeline was ultra-malleable, or that a pious faith still existed in the U.N.'s worth -- as a Sixties hangover -- when Paul Levitz wrote the story. Probably the latter.

Although I was taken in by its own publicity mill as a Sixties kid (like Levitz), I soon saw that those in, around, and touting the U.N. continued to "cry 'peace, peace,' but there is no peace." (Patrick Henry saw through such illusions, including the ulterior motives for the Constitution -- or for a U.N. Charter.) The U.N. has almost never stopped a war as such, large or small, but has merely bolstered or excused the bigger powers' manipulations.

It was strange, after two decades of my well-honed cynicism about the United Nations, to encounter the story in C-55 as a 30something adult. And to see how the lack of the U.N. seemed -- to a 20something Paul Levitz, anyway, and his DC colleagues --to have made all the difference to the unfolding of the Legion's "future history."

The story was still exciting and well-told .. but it left an esthetic aftertaste, in alluding to an all too real-current-world, hopelessly flawed institution.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The Space Circus issue made overt reference to the cultural exchanges between the U.S. and Soviet Union - and declared them illogical, useless or something like that. (Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!)

There was also the baseball game in the 5YL story in which Starfinger tried to fix the game. Not a specific reference but evoked a number of sports fixing scandals of our time.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Just to hop in here again... it's funny but I don't think we ever saw any reference to the hippies and protests of the 60s in the Legion - or did we? That seemed to pop up in other comics and Star Trek had an episode using that theme also. It seems it would be a natural with a group of clean-cut, law-abiding teenagers - to have them in conflict with anti-system or alternative lifestyle kids.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Just to hop in here again... it's funny but I don't think we ever saw any reference to the hippies and protests of the 60s in the Legion - or did we? ... It seems it would be a natural with a group of clean-cut, law-abiding teenagers - to have them in conflict with anti-system or alternative lifestyle kids.

There was a story in the Action Comics series, in the late '60s, in which Timber Wolf fell prey to a pusher and became addicted to some futuristic drug. A clear allagory to the "refer madness" of the period.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
One interesting reference was in Adventure Comics #301 (cover dated Oct. 62) when Antenna Boy applies for membership. In demonstrating his powers, to pick up radio signals from across time and space, he plays a newsflash announcing the re-election of JFK.

Obviously, AB could pick up broadcasts from completely different timelines as well.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, PB, IIRC, it said just "Kennedy re-elected," so I always thought afterwards, well, there's a lot of Kennedys, so it may yet still come true!

[Chameleon Boy]

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I believe some of the boys played some futuristic version of D&D in the rec room

Tyroc was certainly influenced by our culture and current political climate -- maybe that's why he didn't last?

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Reep is right!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
Eryk Davis Ester is right!

[Chameleon Boy]

Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Umm, hello, your both wrong... [Mad]

I mean, sure Reep gives the Mighty Marvel No-Prize answer, but which Kennedy do you think Ed Hamilton was referring to? Or was it Siegel? Either Way.

Of course, by corrupting the orignal post (even if it was your own), which dealt with real world influences on the Legion, with fictional hypothetical answers, you have defiled the sanctity of the thread.

Therefore, I file a formal protest and call upon the founders to take away 100 of your posts and add them to my total. [Wink]

Eryk Davis Ester

Actually, I think it was Weisinger's influence that led to the insertion of the "Kennedy" line. IIRC, he was a big supporter of the Democratic party, and inserted subtle political messages periodically throughout the Superman family of titles...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
IIRC, he was a big supporter of the Democratic party...

Really? I never knew that.

I still want 100 of Reep's posts though. [Razz] I will never catch you guys....

kid chaos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid chaos   Author's Homepage   Email kid chaos         Edit/Delete Post     
IIRC, the TMK Khund war storyline began shortly after the Gulf War started. Orando was kinda like Kuwait (sp?), the little nation invaded by bigger one. And the Legion was kinda like US and UK coming in for the rescue.

A bit of a stretch I know.
It was probably just a coinceidence.
(geez I cant spell tonight)

Eryk Davis Ester

Certainly the use of the "Red Terror" was influenced by real world concerns about chemical and biological warfare, so I think that's a good one, braalian.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.