Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Cultural/Historical Influences On The Legion (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cultural/Historical Influences On The Legion
Reep
Resigned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reep           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm just curious, Portfolio Boy, how you know what Kennedy it was that Siegal was referring to???

Is this a situation where you have to wear Saturn earrings? [Big Grin]

Since I was buying Adventure off the stands even before there was a Legion feature, I feel obliged to mention that both Bobby and Teddy Kennedy were very active in politics back then, and Siegal (or Weisinger) may have intentionally not added a name to "Kennedy" just to spark curiosity in the reader as to exactly which Kennedy is being referred to. Sly Democrat!

And hey, newbie, I earned my post count the old-fashioned way!

I just reposted all my old posts from the DCMB!

Hoo Hah!

[Chameleon Boy]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reep:

Since I was buying Adventure off the stands even before there was a Legion feature...

WOW! I wish there was an instant graemlin for staring gape-mouthed in awed reverence.

[Smile]

Speaking from the last generation to regularly buy comics off the newsstands, I bow to your experinece. Oh, to have been a kid when you were and to have seen those newsstands then.

Kids today with only their specialty shops, if there even are any kids still reading comics, just don't know what they are missing.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The Khund/Gulf War connection with the Red Terror is interesting and not at all far-fetched. I didn't pick up on it at the time but it certainly fits.

I always thought the Khunds - originally - were the Russians/Soviets to the Legion's western look and ways. Except that they seemed to be all male in the military (up until post-boot Amelia the Armorer) and the Soviets always seemed to have more women in all jobs - military, government - than the west. Maybe not in actual fighting.

Another comics classic panel that hasn't shown up in the Legion, as a cultural reference, is "the kid reading a comic book", IIRC. Usually nothing to do with the story - just background. Wonder if they think comics have disappeared in the future?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
One cultural phenomenon that touched the Legion was all the kung-fu fightin' in the seventies, leading to Val somehow taking on the features of Bruce Lee.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:

Oh, to have been a kid when you were and to have seen those newsstands then.

There's a downside to that. Face it, you can buy back issues, but you can never buy back years. [Smile]
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Star Trek was an acknowledged inspiration for some of Dave Cockrum's technology, especially the Legion Cruisers he designed. I also remember an old Adventure era letter column in which Jim Shooter got taken to task for giving Brainiac 5 dialogue that was too reminiscent of Mr. Spock.

There were also a few Adventure era stories that used ideas from other media as inspiration. A couple that come to mind are the issue with Otto Orion, based on "The Most Dangerous Game" and "The Super-Stalag of Space," inspired by "Stalag 17" and to a lesser extent "The Great Escape."

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually the origin of the LSH, where the youth of the future prevent an assasination of an important man, was obviously inspired by the kennedy (and other) assasinations of the 60's. giffen and the beirbaum's even followed it up with a ret-con "second shooter" mention.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd prefer ... a second Shooter mention.

In the issue credits.

For finally seeing his "last Legion story."

{g}

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The few stories had environmental slants, though Devil Fish is the only one that comes to mind. Strangely enough,The Devil Fish NEEDED pollution to survive.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I believe the fireballing issue late in the v.3 run was inspired by terrorist activities of the time.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.