Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » You never forget your first time

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You never forget your first time
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
My first Legion comic, fresh off the stands: Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #218

[Aaahhh!] OOOUUUUEEIIIII!!!!!!

My first Legion back issue purchase: Adventure Comics #346

And you...?

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, it was a long long long time ago, and I do forget ... but the first issue I remember reading was the story where 5 legionnaires are changed into babies and adopted by 5 childless couples. Adventure #356.

Either I read the other stories first and they just didn't stick in memory or I read them afterwards. We were always swapping big bags of old comics or inheriting them from older brothers and sisters - so a lot didn't get read in sequence. And we had spinner racks. ANd I walked 5 miles to school.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Mine was Legionnaires #1, complete with pack-in trading card!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Mine was a battered, cover-less special reprinting the relevant "Death of Lightning Lad" issues. That's all it took.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
LSH v.1 # 1. It reprinted "The Lad Who Wrecked the Legion" from ADVENTURE # 328.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Legionnaires #41. I was enamored with XS from her guest starring in the early issues of Impulse and eagerly picked up the title when I discovered she had returned to her old book. I was instantly in love with the concept of the Legion and the characters, and within a year the entire postboot run was mine. [Wink] It was all Jenni's fault, bless her!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
When I was really young, I had a Legion issue but the only thing I remember about it was seeing Lightning Lad and thinking he was the white version of Black Vulcan from "Superfriends."

Some point later, I remember reading a friend's copy of some Legion comic -- the only thing I remember from that was seeing Wildfire blast out of his suit as it fell on top of Blok's head. I remember thinking it was cool and kinda weird as well.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My first issue was Superboy # 210, Soljer's Private War. My first back issue purchase is harder to remember. I recall getting a summer job when I was 14 or 15 working a construction site and all my money went into back issues of either LSH or X-Men. It was either Superboy # 195, The One-Shot Hero or Adventure Comics #369 Mordru The Merciless. Either way it would have been a great purchase for me.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, I forgot my first time.

Seriously, I don't remember my first issue. I was probably only 7 or 8 at the time so you'ss have to cut me some slack. I remember some friends of my brothers giving our family a stack of superhero comics. I was only into Richie Rich and Uncle Scrooge at the time so this seemed like a step up. I have narrowed it down to three candidates:

Secrets of the Legion #1 - What a way to start, eh? It was there that I was introduced to Triplicate Girl and fell in love forever. I thought the art was so incredible. Little did I know.

Best of DC Digest #something or other - It had Superboy on the front and contained reprints of the Dev-Em story, the first Time Trapper story, a Super Pets adventure, a Subs spotlight, and an election where Saturn Girl wins by spelling Proty backwards. Sure it was 20 years old at the time, but it was great stuff for a kid of any time.

Crisis #1 - I don't think it was my first, since the concept of the Legion seemed familiar, but that appearance of Dawnstar made sure that I would be a fan to this day. Va-va-va-voom!!

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Lad
No-so-special Guest Star

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
My first time was LSH v4 #84, the issue with the Shvaughn diary entries. I read that book from dad's stack of comics and became hooked.
From: San Juan, Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
MIne was part 4 of Earthwar!

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Aside from the other instances I mentioned above, I remember as a kid seeing a friend's copy where there were a mess of members flying on the cover and I remember saying to my friend "The team has *how many* members?!?" I figured there was no way I'd be able to figure it out. Good thing I changed my mind when I grew up some.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne3003
New Old Guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne3003   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne3003         Edit/Delete Post     
I am so old...

I remember reading Adventure Comics # 290, or Action 276 - little fuzzy on the memory there - as my 1st LSH story.
However, the clincher was Adventure Comics # 293 -with both Curt Swan cover and interior art. Today that issue still stands out in my memory because of the Swan art. I am sure because of that issue the Superman family of comics became regular purchases thereafter- one never knew where the Legion would show up, and so I had to buy them all.

From: Athens, Georgia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.