Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » I've never started topics about Shadow Lass or Colossal Boy. (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I've never started topics about Shadow Lass or Colossal Boy.
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
I've never started topics about Element Lad or Phantom Girl.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Actually Gim and Shady would make an interesting pairing. There both essentially warriors, but of very different sorts. Gim is the ultimate "loyal soldier", the by-the-book star-of-the-academy kind, while Shady is the "planetary champion", the lone symbol and representative of her people, the chosen-by-her-birthright to train to kick ass.

I don't know... I find it kind of appealing in a way...

Strangely, I don't find this appealing at all anymore.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Nothing about Shadow Lass is appealing anymore.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Leviathan was one of the more clever new monikers, while Umbra was one of the worst.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I always thought that 3boot Shadow Lass (what a floozy) slept with all the Legion guys, so Gym was a part of that maybe?
As far as a regular couple though I don't know ... to me the pair is a sort of mis-match. Their personalities would clash I think. At least this current Levitz pair would.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[Roll Eyes]

Shady just can't catch a break, can she? (Seriously. Was there anyone she was actually with canonically in Threeboot apart from Ultra Boy and Karate Kid? Looking forward to posts all about what "floozies" the two of them must be. Ho hum.)

Thanks for the High School flashback there, fk.

[No]

Some days I honestly wonder why I came back to fandom at all...

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CandleLSHlight:

Oh, I agree. Everything else she's ever done is completely null and void because her current love interest/sex partner is a bad person (and their partnership isn't very well-explained or plausible due to less-than-satisfactory writing. Really).

(That was sarcasm, BTW.)

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

So, apparently Giffen thought Gim was the handsomest male Legionnaire.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ It's hard for we as readers to make a judgement call on something like that since very few artists have the ability to draw more than one or two 'male' or 'female' faces - so they tend to draw all their characters at the same level of generic attractiveness (unless they're meant to be ugly like Batman's old sidekick Harold or someone).

And also, since so many different artists have worked on the Legion over the years it's hard to know what a character like Gim (who's never been specifically mentioned within the pages as being especially handsome, unlike Nura - or am I just grafting fan/writer-thought onto her? Has she been specifically mentioned within the pages as being the most attractive femme on the team?) is meant to look like in comparison to the others.

That said, I've always thought of Gim as having one of those very old-school Hollywood 'attractive' types of faces - a bit of a Rock Hudson mixed with some Robert Mitchum (a very physical member like Gim would probably have that tough, broken nose type of face that Mitchum seemed to have) type of face. Handsome by those old-school 'man-face' standards but not one of those 'boyish' looks that are probably most popular today.

Back to Shady and Gim - I kinda do and don't see it. It would be interesting to see for a while but I don't see it lasting. I'm kinda ready to see him with someone other than Yera though. Geoff Johns in that Action Comics arc was the first person to make me feel something about their relationship but there has been too little before or since then to make me believe in it. I blame all that on Levitz since he's the one who's written them together the most. Either give me a reason to want them to be together, Paul, or pair them off with someone else! At the moment they're just a boring, nothing relationship to me.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I've decided to steer this thread back to TD's weird aversion to blue-skinned girls and really, really tall guys!

What's up with that?

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
If Gim and Tasmia had a kid, would it have the power to turn into a giant shadow?

(Avoiding 'grow in the dark' joke...)

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
quote:
Originally posted by CandleLSHlight:

Oh, I agree. Everything else she's ever done is completely null and void because her current love interest/sex partner is a bad person (and their partnership isn't very well-explained or plausible due to less-than-satisfactory writing. Really).

(That was sarcasm, BTW.)

I'm afraid I still find her boring.
Shadow Lass just doesn't hold a candle to Umbra (pun intended. [Smile] )
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Leviathan was one of the more clever new monikers, while Umbra was one of the worst.

I wrote a letter about combining Shady with Lady Memory and I think I included a new name for her - Umbra.
Umbra is the dark just before dawn, IIRC, the blackest part of the night.
It also sort of combined Shady's power/cave idea with Lady Memory's darker personality and living with the past.
That's how I saw it, anyway.
That and I just couldn't find anything else that worked for me, at the time.
[shrug]
Whether that was the writer's reasoning or not, I don't know.

As for looks, KItson't Gim was to die for.
Whatahunk!
sigh
But, Barry's an amazing artist; his characters actually look different from each other, as do Coipel's creations, but he never got to draw Gim in the book itself, I think.

When Dreamy was introduced, the boys went gaga over her and I'm pretty sure she was considered the most beautiful of the girls, especially back then.

Umbra and Leviathan I can't see as a couple, ever.
Not only did he die before she joined but he was just too nice.
I don't think she would have understood someone WANTING to be a hero when that was all she really knew how to be.

3boot's pair, maybe, but he didn't really like being 'small', so maybe not.

The original boot, probably not, either.
Gim never had much self-confidence.
But their IQ's are actually similar - Shady's at 5 and Gim at 6, which might have worked okay.
Levitz and Crow wrote 'the Companion' ages ago, though, back when women were still struggling to be taken seriously, but most of the Legionnaires came in around 5 or 6, to be honest, with just a few in the 7 to 25 range - Brin was the only 4, I think.

The retro/Nuboot Tasmia seems to like powerful men who are needy, but not too needy.
Gim might work powerwise, except that his 'needy' areas lie in his self-confidence and fighting judgement, two flaws that THIS Tasmia doesn't seem to have much patience with.
[No]

[ December 05, 2011, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm, Shady and Gim.....now that she's single and he thinks Yera is dead, I guess the door is open for the possibility at least.

I think he would be intimidated by her in a relationship though, it seems that he was attracted to Yera's naivete in the same way he was always attracted to Vi's shyness and insecurity. Notice that since Gim hooked up with Yera and Vi's personality did a complete 180, there hasn't been even any acknowledgement of the crush he had on Vi for years....I think once she became all aggressive it completely turned him off. I remember a scene just before Magic Wars when Gim and Yera were arguing and he seemed to be unable to deal with her being overtly angry, so I really think he just can't cope with that kind of attitude in a woman.

As for Shady...who knows what she's attracted to anymore? Moving from Brainy to Mon-El makes sense in that they are both pretty intellectually driven, but then she unceremoniously goes from Mon to Earth-Man of all people, and says it's because she's attracted to his power. If power were all she were attracted to, why would she have chosen Brainy to begin with, and why WOULDN'T she have chosen Superboy? There has to be something more to it, but buggered if I can figure out what it is aside from some asinine mind-alteration subplot.

We found out in Adventure that Shadow Lad has now returned to their homeworld to act as its planetary protector, maybe Shady's recent actions are just the result of her having some kind of crisis over that? Like maybe she thinks she's okay with Grev stealing her thunder, but she secretly has some resenment towards the Legion and specifically Mon-El for keeping her away from her home duties so long that now her cousin has been given her job? I would be more okay with that than with the explanation she's given.

If I had to pick potential love interests for them both out of the current cast....I would say Tinya for Gim (assuming Jo is out of the picture), and Lydda and Shady would actually be a very interesting match at the moment.....

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.