Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » JEFF MOY returns for 1 storyline: a DREAM or you SCREAM? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: JEFF MOY returns for 1 storyline: a DREAM or you SCREAM?
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd applaud it. It doesn't hurt, though, to have been applauded oneself!

-

Moy signed this at the 2002 San Diego Comic-Con. (Click for a larger version.) He remembered me from my moniker, and I'd only spoken on line about him a few times!

I always did like his clarity of line and his anatomy. He told a story well, when he was given a well-formed story to tell -- and that was seldom, sad to say, in his period of the reboot.

Chris Batista, now, is notably closer to what I like, with Moy's clarity but greater skill at facial expressions. Still, I'd enjoy seeing Moy back on the Legion, for whatever period worked.

Whether Moy would work well with DnA, in that he responds better to character-driven stories, which aren't that duo's forte -- that's another sitch.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
I certainly wouldn't mind it at all.

Ah, and when I was searching LegionPics the other day, I found this. May be out of date now, but you can look:

quote:
Steve Lightle said on Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:29 am:
The strange thing is ... DC hasn't picked Mike McAvennie's replacement yet. At the moment, the Legion has no editor. I've been told who the possible front runner is for the job ... but nothing is concrete yet.

On the other hand, I do have some good news for fans of Legions passed ... There are issues in the works by both Dan Jurgens and Jeff Moy. Those issues are certainly going to make some fans happy. The story line I am supposed to work on has been assigned to the writers ... or so I've been told. Now, we'll just see if the musical chairs that DC is playing with the editors doesn't kill the deal.

Please keep a good thought, everyone. I guess that if it's meant to be, it will be ... I'm certainly not in a giving up kind of mood today.

To everyone who has spoken up on my behalf ... my sincere thanks. You guys do my heart good.

Steve Lightle

[ August 08, 2003, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Sanity or Madness? ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I grew really fond of Moy's work over the years. I'm not such a huge fan that I'd necessarily pick up a title I wasn't already interested in just because he was supplying the art, but I'm quite excited about seeing his work on the Legion again.

And I really like that Emerald Empress/Violet artwork! [Smile]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
Moy signed this at the 2002 San Diego Comic-Con.

Hey, look at taht! Not only did Vi steal Kinetix's role as Emerald Empress, but her current form as well.
[Laugh Out Loud]

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
Aside from not liking the stories very much, I definitely wasn't into Moy's art. His figures looked very plastic in their poses, reminding me of action figures -- even their facial expressions left me cold. I don't hate it, so I could stand a storyarc...

I would agree with this assessment pretty much.

However, one thing I really did appreciate was that, more than any other artist of recent memory, his Legionnaires did, in fact, look like teenagers.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought Moy and Lee Moder were both really good choices for the early reboot. I'd be more than happy to see either of them back, if the story was right. Actually, I think Moder would be a good fit still, his art isn't all that different from Batistas speaking in the broadest terms possible.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe in an Elsewheres title, but I'd prefer never again to see Moy's art in the main Legion book. Not that I think he's untalented, but his artwork dredges up too many memories of the Legion's "Archie" days, a period that's better left in the past, imo.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Moy drew campbell soup kids. It bacame a bit difficult to take an arc serious. If he had drawn a bit more like some of these samples shown recently, I think I'd have fonder memories.

Like Kev Walker; it wasn't the skill, it was the design choices.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
People are looking at his art without taking into account the context; the reboot was really just a glorified homage to the early SA Legion stories, while giving them an overall consistent and cohesive feel than the originals. The art merely reflected the general feel of the stories, IMO. Moder's style actually changed from his first year's-worth of issues to the style he's trying to escape now(see a fill-in he did for CrossGen's SOJOURN), and the biggest knock on Moy is that he was TOO good at capturing the feel of that era. If he came back for a current issue or arc, I think it would be as different as Chris Sprouse's early work was from his Later LEGIONNAIRES covers, right before DnA took over.
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe mondo
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe mondo   Author's Homepage   Email joe mondo         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm afraid I never enjoyed Moy's artwork - though he seemed like a nice guy.

I know people say they looked like teenagers - but to me they always looked more pre-teen. And then the tongues and such made it worse.

The stories were indeed more Silver Age in the their tone, but I thought they were much more cutesy than the SA actually was, and Moy's still just put it over the top for me. I thought Moder provided a better balance. I also thought his Legionnaires looked more like teens.

[ August 08, 2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: joe mondo ]

From: seattle | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 13 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm, how fast can I say … NO?
It was during Moy’s tenure that I almost gave up the book after 20+ years of continuous collecting. Very few eras rank lower than this period IMO.

No more X-babies please!

From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
Moy signed this at the 2002 San Diego Comic-Con. (Click for a larger version.)

Thanks for posting that, Greybird. I'd never seen it before. Moy did a great job capturing both personalities.

I do wonder how Vi managed to loose every stitch of clothing except her hairband, though. [Wink]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Moy did return for one story. I didn't scream...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.