Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Why I thought INSECT QUEEN was important to the Legion (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why I thought INSECT QUEEN was important to the Legion
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the compliments, guys! That's how it works...someone expresses interest in an obscure character, which inspires someone like me to make a drawing of said character. If not for Legion World, I would probably never do sketches of Lester or Sinde or Beauty Blaze. LLL!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm another BIG fan of Pete, Lana and the Insect Queens of both the pre- and re- boots! Wish we could've seen more of all of them!

Speaking of Pete - has anyone been reading recent issues of Adventures of Superman? I've got a bad feeling he's about to be bumped off in it! It'll be a real shame if so but the way post-Crisis writers have been so mean to this character it'll come as no surprise unfortunately.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
See, that's why I hate reboots... we lost the reboot IQ and there's not likely to be one on the horizon...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... I wonder what the heck Mort Weisinger was talking about in Adv. 301?

quote:

Dear Editor: Will Lana Lang ever go into the future and meet up with the Legion of Super-Heroes?

Laura Schorr, Westfield, N. J.

(We had Lana involved with the Legionnaires in a couple of stories several years ago and plan to stage a reunion between her and Lightning Lad very shortly. -Ed.)

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe the plan was to have Lana somehow be Garth's time-lost twin, since this letter was printed before Ayla's introduction.

Imagine Lana as a teen drag king...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Apparently, there's going to be a 'new' Insect Queen in upcoming issues of SUPERMAN by Kurt Busiek. (Not sure that that's the Supes title Kurt's writing, but I think it is.)

It's supposed to be a storyline comprising three issues. There's a picture in the newsarama column about the DC Universe panel in Baltimore that is *probably* her, though it could be Bumblebee or Queen Bee.

No mention if there's any connection to Lana. I can't imagine Busiek would write this character without one- even if it's fairly tenuous.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I always loved Lana and the Smallville cast being a part of the Legion. In particular Insect Queen.

She was in my favorite all time Legion story...Adv 369-370.

Thing is...she is tied into the original Superboy mythos and I believe that cast has something to do with the legal definition of the Superboy character, that's part of why they lost the case concerning the Smallville TV Show...so it's probably one of those things DC has to work around.

It wouldn't surprise me if Busiek makes Lana the Insect Queen again....but as for it being the Smallville Lana...doesn't look promising.

I really hate this ownership dispute...I wish DC would just pay the Siegels, again, and be done with it. They've made a ton of money off Superboy and the other Siegel creations, like Superman...not to mention Siegel's own role in the development of the Legion itself...time to just get this over with. I agree retconning the copyright laws was lame...but this disupute is even lamer.

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Gosh - I wonder if this post will kill this thread for two years again like my last post did?

Anyway, it's great that my fears re: Pete's fate two years ago were unjustified. Not sure what he's been up to lately but I think he should always be a part of Superman/boy's life.

Lana too. And the Legion should always have an Insect Queen. And a Konk! I am seriously missing that character for some reason. We got to see far too little of her.

Oh I'm gonna get emotional if I start thinking about all the good characters we lost with the threeboot... [Frown]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't have a problem with Lana as Insect Queen or with her being a Legion Reservist, but I'm content that her appearances were few and far between. One of the peculiarities of the Superman mythos is that most of Kal's friends -- made while he was both a teen and an adult -- became involved in the Legion in some way: Pete Ross and Jimmy Olsen became honorary members; Lois Lane had several adventures with the Legion. Only Perry White seemed to be miss out on all the fun ...

For that matter, Mon-El started out as a friend of Superboy's before he joined the Legion. Ma and Pa Kent played significant roles in certain Legion adventures. And let's not forget Superboy's cuz, Kara.

(And just so his enemies don't feel left out, we've got Brainiac 5 as an adopted descendent of the original Brainiac and multiple appearances by some variation of Luthor and Mxyzptlk.)

At some point, all of this involvement of Kal-El's friends, family, and hangers-on stretches Legion credibility to the breaking point. No other Legionnaire had so many others who were connected to the team. Many Legion parents and siblings appeared once or twice, some not at all. (Bouncing Boy and Duo Damsel's parents didn't even attend their wedding; I don't believe Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl's parents attended theirs, either.)

Since Superboy was the "star" of the Silver Age Legion, occasional appearances by his friends and family made sense -- and, in the case of the Mordru story, their involvement was crucial -- but too much of a good thing can spoil the soup, as it were.

By contrast, Lana appears in a non-Insect Queen role in both Superboy # 197 and 198. These stories showed she was still part of Superboy's life and a friend of the Legion, even though she didn't participate in these adventures. When she next appears as Insect Queen (# 205), it's in a contrived story in which only she and Ultra Boy can save the entire Legion. Lucky for the Legion that Superboy decided to bring her by for a visit on her birthday.

When Lana and the other characters could be worked in organically, as in the Mordru story and Sup # 197-198, they enhanced Legion stories. Otherwise, credibility suffered through their frequent involvement in a team a thousand years removed from their lives.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
Gosh - I wonder if this post will kill this thread for two years again like my last post did?

I thought I was the only one who did that around here!

My post killed this thread for a couple of months before the new IQ news.

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:

Oh I'm gonna get emotional if I start thinking about all the good characters we lost with the threeboot... [Frown]

Or the one before that. And the one before it.

Seriously-- I *loved* postboot L'onna INSECT QUEEN Long. Maybe even more than Lana. We didn't get to see *nearly* enough of her!

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
hey I loved Lonna too but maybe she will worm her way into the new Shooter era Legion someday soon. *finger crossing*
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
Only Perry White seemed to be miss out on all the fun ...

that's cause he was an icky adult and the legion were teens. And Lois ended up there cause she was Superman's giiiiiiiiiiiiiiirlfriend so she had a reason to be tied up there.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Apparently, there's going to be a 'new' Insect Queen in upcoming issues of SUPERMAN by Kurt Busiek. (Not sure that that's the Supes title Kurt's writing, but I think it is.)

It's supposed to be a storyline comprising three issues. There's a picture in the newsarama column about the DC Universe panel in Baltimore that is *probably* her, though it could be Bumblebee or Queen Bee.

No mention if there's any connection to Lana. I can't imagine Busiek would write this character without one- even if it's fairly tenuous.

If you are refering to the picture of the woman in red with insect wings at the bottom of that page, I believe that's the new Red Bee, slated to appear in Uncle Sam & The Freedom Fighters upcoming series.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
Only Perry White seemed to be miss out on all the fun ...

that's cause he was an icky adult and the legion were teens. And Lois ended up there cause she was Superman's giiiiiiiiiiiiiiirlfriend so she had a reason to be tied up there.

Well, Jimmy was an adult, too, and he didn't have a romantic relationship with Big Blue (that we know of).

All Perry had to do was get some sort of temporary power (perhaps super-copy editing) and he could have been made an Honorary Legion Mentor, after Marla.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.legionclubhouse.com/wiki/index.php?title=Insect_Queen/Lonna_Leing

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.