Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » It's time for Sussa! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It's time for Sussa!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
There's gotta be one somewhere....!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's a link to the Lightle, grell and Giffen alternate covers on the ACTION arc... I've only gotten the Giffen, but he's my fave, so... cool (wouldn't have minded the Grell one, though...)

LIGHTLE, GRELL, GIFFEN Action covers!

(scroll down a smidge)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Lash!

Hmm... the Lightle cover makes me smile. Seeing that logo with that artwork style makes me happy.

The Grell cover cracks me up because it feels like a time warp, straight back to the 70's! It reminds me of the S/LSH cover he did with the Composite Legionnaire. The weirdest thing is that he didn't give Earth Man the big boards, the sideburns!

The Giffen cover is a perfectly good design, but it doesn't have that Giffen weirdness going on. It just seems to have poor craftsmanship.

Glad I got to see them though!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Paka

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Paka Paka

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Paka Paka Paka Paka

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
 -
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
 -
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
One of my favorite comic book panels of all time is 5YL Sussa karate chopping one of mordru's zombies in the throat ...

I think she also says she's getting into it or it's kinda fun ...

My other favorite panel is when Tyroc karate chops Earth Man in the throat.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
An exploration of how her power works could help to differentiate her from other hair-powered heroes, like Marvel's Inhuman Queen Medusa, or the Global Guardian's Godiva.

Medusa's powers are supposedly psionic in nature, being 'hair-o-kinesis' or something, while Godiva's powers have never really been explained (suggested to be magical, IIRC, ages ago, but more recently being portrayed as something physiological that could allow her hair to be scalped from her and retain it's ability if transplanted to someone else).

Making Sussa's 'hair-powers' different from both of these options, could be a step towards making her more unique and intriguing.

If each strand of her hair is composed of a complicated fiber similar to that spun by an actual spider, being stronger than steel, by weight and volume, and yet flexible enough to stretch up to three times it's resting length (allowing a six foot lock to snake out and grab someone up to six meters away, or to wrap many times around a grown man, like a constricting snake) that could be neat. Her hair, in sufficient thickness, would be knife-proof, bullet-proof, etc. and, depending on what it's made of (some sort of carbon nanotubes?) might even be fireproof and insulate vs. electricity, making her hair a decent protective shield against many attacks common to 31st century super-fights.

Instead of 'hair-o-kinesis,' the individual strands might have tiny little muscles (or some other means of physical motion, such as cell contraction), and be able to contract or manipulate themselves, with individually unimpressive strength, but a number of strands able to operate together to easily overmatch a normal person.

One thing that a hair-based super would have to deal with would be anchoring and the ability of their body to handle the forces their hair is exerting. If Sussa's hair was using mechanical energy (instead of psionics), it would tear itself from her scalp the first time she tried to lift anything significant. Perhaps her hair follicles aren't attached to her scalp at all, but sink down through the scalp to anchor to her *skeleton,* instead, with the majority of her individual 'hairs' anchoring to her support bones (shoulders, arms, etc.) running under her skin. That would add secondary super-powers to her, as the fine mesh of 'hair' pleating under her skin between her scalp and the various long bones in her body would provide some defensive ability (as a knife or bullet entering her body would have to pass through the layer of extremely tough hair under her skin, before getting to her muscle or organs) and might serve to make her appear stronger than a normal woman of her size, as she doesn't just have muscles, but also has a layer of that hair beneath her skin that can flex and contract and support weight, allowing her to *seem* to have greater than normal strength for her size. Each individual follicle, depending on where it anchors to her skeleton, might be the 'tip of the iceberg,' with six feet of visible follicle, and another meter or two that's woven under the skin and could be anchored as far away from her scalp as her shin bones!

I vaguely recall that she was once said to be able to 'snare crooks in webs that came from her hair' or something whacky (and completely different from Medusa or Godiva's hair-o-kinetic powers). Perhaps that could become part of her powerset again, with strands or locks of hair being able to part from her body and still grapple another, even if she walks away (or, somewhat creepier a visual, able to be flung from her head to fly a couple of meters through the air like some sort of hair-snake, to grapple someone).

Ideally, she'd be able to re-attach that hair, perhaps overriding whatever commands it had (to grapple someone) by touching it and causing it to snake back up her arm and re-root itself in her scalp. If left alone too long, the hair might 'die,' but remain a stronger-than-steel set of restraints, until cut away or untangled...

That could be a neat effect, a lock of her hair reaching out to ensnare someone, and then neatly parting from her scalp, remaining behind to keep the luckless soul entangled and helpless, while she keeps moving on, confident that she can come back later for the lock of hair, or, if necessary, just regrow it.

The idea of her hair anchoring to her skeleton (and existing in protective / supportive layers beneath her skin) might be a bit 'out there,' as far as the science goes, but not as much as 'psionic control of hair.' [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Prehensile hair has always been one of my favourite superpowers ever. I think Medusa kicking the Fantastic Four's asses at a time when most women in comics were busy swooning imprinted on my young impressionable mind.

Spider-GIrl's hair being able to operate independently of the mass of hair on her head is an interesting angle....it's not the direction I would take, but admittedly it would make her much more unique and her name would make MUCH more sense if she could do that...it's not like spiderwebs only work while they're connected to the spiders that made 'em!

Going along with the thief angle that was established 5YL, I think it would be cool if she has some kind of sensory power through her hair as well...maybe a really developed tactile sense and a vague kind of radar-sense by picking up vibrations through the air the way spiders can tell when something's stuck in their web by its vibrations (a "spider-sense" if you will)...something where she could use her hair for scouting, for lockpicking, picking pockets, etc...

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

She later became a children's book author and illustrator known as Dr. Sussa.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

^I knew it was a bad pun, but I didn't think it would kill this thread!

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.