Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » RETRO REVIEW # 2: Superboy/LSH 222 (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: RETRO REVIEW # 2: Superboy/LSH 222
Chameleon Boy
World Changer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chameleon Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Chameleon Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Hope Waid and Kitson are paying attention!!

I wonder how many other fans feel jilted out a potentially powerful "minority" character?? If I were a black man I would be really pissed that I had no really good black characters to be all excited about. I think Black Panther is about the only one that really stands out and T'Challa is not even used that much and all his books always fail. What's that all about?? and who's that dude that runs around with Iron Fist?? He's cool too! There's also Black Lightning and a few others but no first stringers!! No guys and gals really popular and can hold on to their own books kind of popular!! It's truly sad! [Frown]

If that damnedable "Code Authority" would have let Jim Shooter introduce Ferro Lad all those years back as a black hero (and screw those red necked close minded idiots in the Southern States!! [Mad] I can say that, I was born and raised in the Bible Belt, namely Floridy! ACK!! [Razz] I'm happy to say that I moved west to California with all them other queers! [Big Grin] ) then just think how that MIGHT have changed today's views about black heros?? Tyroc ROCKS and he should be a member and a respectable one at that. I know there is Jazmin (so there is two "minorities" right there, a woman and a black woman at that, now if she were only a lesbian that would really round that character out full throttle! [Big Grin] ).

Rant over. Tyroc is cool and I hope that Waid and Kitson do something great with him!!

'nuff said!!

[Chameleon Boy]

--------------------
---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---

From: RWC, CA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Tyroc, I thought, was a well-meaning but misguided attempt to create a black character from creators (or execs, maybe) who didn't interact with black people all that much and had stereotyped notions about them.

It's easy to criticize Tyroc in retrospect, of course. I have to say that my impression of him at the time was very different. He was played up to be a major character in his first three appearances (# 216, 218 and 222), so it was very disappointing that he vanished altogether thereafter. The true test of racial harmony/equality would have been to treat him as just another Legionnaire, just as Sulu and Uhura were treated as just other members of the bridge crew on STAR TREK. No big deal was made out of the fact the one was Asian, the other African.

Lash's comments about this issue echo my own feelings. It was a "whatever" story with a few good moments. As for the backup story, I remember thinking it was very unlike a Legion story of the time, both in terms of art and story. The Legionnaires, who certainly knew what true heroes were like, seemed to fall too easily for this charlatan.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Good review, Lash, but Tyroc...ugh. I wish I could remember how I reacted to this story when I first read it - probably not as critical as today.

You & EDE do a much better Questar/E10YM!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chameleon Boy:
If that damnedable "Code Authority" would have let Jim Shooter introduce Ferro Lad all those years back as a black hero then just think how that MIGHT have changed today's views about black heros??

Just to set the record straight, the Code had nothing to do with the decision. Mort Weisinger didn't want to do it, so it didn't get done. It never went further than an idea in Jim Shooter's head.

I wonder if Tyroc had a more prominent role in Starlin's Legion story. Over twenty pages were cut from it, and it was supposed to feature the whole team in more than cameo roles. Tyroc's best appearance might never have been published!

--------------------
My powers are Legion!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chameleon Boy
World Changer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chameleon Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Chameleon Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Oooops, your right, just re-read the interview and it was the story he wanted to do on drugs involving Timber Wolf that got the boot. Mort indeed did have the badly misplaced forsight to shoot down the Fero Lad story in which he revealed himself as a black male in which there was to be a "no big deal" reaction. Instead the disfigured him, how rude!!

[Chameleon Boy]

--------------------
---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---

From: RWC, CA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey--- I used to write pretty good reviews!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, you did! So churn out some more!
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

You & EDE do a much better Questar/E10YM!

*blushes, sighs* Those stories were so fun!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Yes, you did! So churn out some more!

AGREED!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.