Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Yal Come Back Now!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yal Come Back Now!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The idea of an Old West frontier world inhabited by prospectors with robot lawmen is one who's potential was wasted in Legion lore by only being explored in the "Whatever happened to Kid Quantum?" issue!

I think the re-imagined Thomas Keene should come from Yal.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Great Scott! No one replied to this thread?

Not even a measly pity post from the likes of Cobalt Kid or Fat Cramer?

The funny thing is... after just re-reading the "Whatever Happened to Kid Quantum?" issue, I thought of the exact same thread idea again!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 13 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
*glares; has grown weary of typing "fourth-dimensional-"*...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I like to think of the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter as being a bit of a 'frontier,' populated by asteroid miners who don't take no guff from the SP, being more likely to take justice into their own hands (by pitching an offender out the nearest airlock, in the most extreme cases!).

Even after the asteroid belt gets a bit upscale, centuries later, the Oort cloud, beyond Pluto's orbit, becomes the 'new frontier,' with the same familiar sorts of ornery idependment-minded SOBs who want to get away from the authoritarian micro-managed 'developed' inner worlds. The resources of the oort cloud, both in water ice and in mineral wealth, will always be of value, and if the boomtown folk who are willing to work out there have their own ideas about how to run things, the rest of the solar system will shrug and look the other way, content to buy their ware, and ship any of their own that 'don't play well with others' to join that rowdy bunch of hard-working, hard-playing 'gold rush' types.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^ Wow, that's a really fantastic idea, Set! Just *ripe* for story-telling!

I think the entire concept of Old West inspired frontiers in space, PLUS robot lawmen, is fantastic. Huge potential that could inform not just one story but a series of them.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Huge potential that could inform not just one story but a series of them.

Bah... Fox would just cancel a series like that.

(Sorry... still bitter a decade later [Smile] )

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

The Asteroid Belt generally seems to have an Old West crossed with Caribbean Islands feel in much Sci Fi.

The Oort Cloud is interesting, because it's just so far from anything else that it would be likely to maintain a kind of permanent isolation. I think it's more than a fourth of the way to Alpha Centauri or something. It's likely that whatever method for faster than light travel is developed will likely basically bypass it for most ordinary travel. ("Engage hyperdrives!" would occur around, say, Pluto.) Most the bodies out there are fairly small, but it might be a nice way to get a groovy little planetoid to yourself.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Huge potential that could inform not just one story but a series of them.

Bah... Fox would just cancel a series like that.

(Sorry... still bitter a decade later [Smile] )

Yup!

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.