Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Calling the Roll of Dream Crime Part 3 (spoilers) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Calling the Roll of Dream Crime Part 3 (spoilers)
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
spoilers
spoilers

spoilers
spoilers

spoilers
spoilers

Most of you have already read this-- but since Lightning Lad and Nightcrawler were kind enough to set this up for me, I thought I should inaugurate the new forum with the most recent CTR.

Calling the Roll is a character-by-character look at the latest issue of THE LEGION.

Let the roll be called...

SHIKARI: Love Batista's Shikari, though the wings aren't as... majestic as they should be, IMO. 'Kari's 'hearing' Universo's underlying telepathic monologue is unexpected. Following the 'path' of the voice to her truth-sensing scene on page 14 made perfect sense to me. But her initial hearing is, as yet, unexplained.

Latent telepathy? I hope not, since it's becoming way to common in female Legionnaires. Aren't there any young male 'paths around?

Or was Shikari and her 'alien' Kwai senses perceiving the electronic (?) communications machinary later revealed to be the mechanism by which Universo was broadcasting his 'dream crime'?

Page 15... 'Kari's growing distress also made sense, since she *is* still very much a stranger getting used to her new home. She was also always somewhat a stranger in her natural culture, wasn't she?

I'm sure appearance-sensitive Sensor just loved that "Aaaaaah! You!" greeting.

Shikari made the perfect choice for 'exposition recipient'.

She showed her bravery in making that 'leap of faith' despite the crushing, twisting 'star weights'.

Yet, I wanted to get inside her head in a more revealing way. It's not enought to see events from her perspective, along side her, so to speak. I'm waiting to actually see events *through* her 'eyes'. I think DNA have wisely held back a bit with 'Kari's characterization. We know her, but we don't. She's a bit of a tantalizing mystery.

SENSOR: Page eight... Is it Sensor or the narrator who calls Cham and Gates 'bleeding hearts'? And who else, I wonder, is referenced in panel one's narrative box? If supposedly Jeka's thought, it's ironic... since she would once surely have been included in that grouping.

Regal attitude combined with low self-image is *not* a pretty pairing. Jeka 'reads' like a completely new character, here. Perhaps that's intentional- to go along with her physical transformation and its attendant hormonal changes. Perhaps this will be a temporary function of her adjustment.

She certainly takes charge of 'Kari with royal prerogative. Notice the bottom of page 16-- where the tip of Jeka's tail is looped around Shikari's wrist. I'm surprised 'Kari didn't name Jeka 'pushy Legion', instead of 'coiled Legion'.

Page 19... The stregth... intriguing. Wonder if there are other power changes we haven't seen? Or is something else afoot?

KID QUANTUM: Page 12... Universo's illusion perhaps adapts to the surface thoughts/speech of its subjects. Kid Q says 'last shred of my power' and we immediately see the mysterious 'cub' scene. Has the dream convinced Jazmin that she's out of power, so that she stops using it... thus causing Cub to plop from the sphere? Or is Universo using the first event to fuel the second setting... thereby occupying Jo and Tinya, drawing them further into his illusion?

TRIAD and GEAR: Again, we see instant accomodation of Universo's dream. Gear says the words 'profile' and 'identify', followed by Triad's 'match' and then 'BOOOOOM'.

COSMIC BOY: "From one of my 21st century history classes..." Cos as professor. Imagine. Anyone else like to see a glimpse (or more) of one of these sessions?

Page 12... The illusion adapts to Cos' statements and/or fears... Or is Star Boy *really* turning into a black hole?

DREAMER: Reading background noise... or is she perhaps seeing further into the future than she's aware? Is there a Darkseid storyline coming in the wake of Dream Crime?

ULTRA BOY and APPARITION: Don't like the golden skin tones for Tinya-- or is she reflecting the energy cast from the quantum sphere?

Since Jo joins the attack/defense, it seems Cub's growth could well be a part of the illusion. Or is it?

I hope there's some sort of resolution to this marital drama soon. I miss the Tinya with a sense of humor and the Jo who isn't alway oblivious to everything around him.

BRAINIAC 5: Somehow, I hope he thinks his way 'free' all on his own.

STAR BOY: Charging into the fray, once again. Poor Thom. With his relationship with Nura and the destruction of Xanthu in mind, he must be as mentally scarred as Jeka. Maybe they could commiserate and bond a bit...

M'ONEL: Pages 19 and 22 seem to encapsulate M'on's use in THE LEGION thus far. Page 22...His casual use of heat vision shows the breadth and strength of his powers. Page 19... He's knocked casually aside like a ragdoll by a snake princess' tail.

I wonder... is Jeka actually using supersnaketail strength... or is she tapping into Universo's dream? Has she uncovered a way to insert her powers into the overarching dream-structure? Consciously or unconsciously? Will she have a minute, once on Steeple, to think things through?

WILDFIRE, SPARK, BIG VI-WITH-THE-UGLY-GREEN-STREAK, CHAMELEON, and INVISIBLE KID make good little soldiers-- even though they're actually standing stock still.

SUMMING UP: A whole lot of middle- which isn't a bad thing for the third of five parts. Darkseid, even an illusory Darkseid, made a powerful and fearful impact as presented.

The shifting between dream and reality is tricky- especially when presented as one thing, as here. We don't know yet just what's what, so it is hard to form an opinion.

More next time... as we'll probably see some resolution before the big finish.

Loved the color.

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Todd. Great as usual. The Legion is still one of the only books I have to read when it comes out. Others can sit in my reading stack for months. And only 3 more issues until Steve's triumphant return! YAY!
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
OMG, can this GET any cooler???

Todd has long-deserved his own forum for the CTR's!

Can't wait to see this every month!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I hope Shikari's "seeing" ability is defined a little clearer soon - I agree that it's almost bordering on telepathy. She can already use it to anticipate a foe's movements. She can see through Sensor's illusions, can she also see through Cham's disguises? Can she sense Vi even if she were too small to be seen by the eye? Can she tell if someone's lying? I can't imagine Lyle has a chance of sneaking up on her or anything...
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I found Cub's appearance before he "aged" to look suspiciously like Kal-El Superboy... Black hair, blue eyes...

Supposedly, the aging happened in the "dream", but as we saw with M'on at the end of the issue, the Legionnaires' actions have effect in the real world despite being in response to the dream scenario. Add my suspicions to the appearance of what appears to be Kal-El Superboy on TnT's cover for issue 25...

...and I GOT CHILLS, BAYBEE!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Yay, Calling the Roll!

My few two cents:

Sensor: I can see that DnA are trying to divert the character from the sometimes cloyingly "nice" persona she's usually had. That's all well and good, but my main quibble here is that I like that she's upset and angry right now, but her dialogue has no sense of the "regal" underpinnings of Jeka. She doesn't sound like a scared and pissed off princess. The smart aleck dialogue seems pretty "common" to me.

Shikari: I like Shikari, but is seems a little like she's adapted to her present circumstances a little too quickly.

The rest: I can't get too overly excited by a lot of what's happening in the Darkseid dream. It's entertaining, but in the same way a spring training game is interesting. I'm a little disappointed that even in the dream, we still can't be rid of the Tinya/Jo/Imra thing. Please let this be done with soon.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yarky
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yarky           Edit/Delete Post     
Shikari's ability seems to require active use for example she only broken thru Universo's attack when she tried to find the source of "Darkseid's attack". I imagine Lyle could sneak up on her if he was very careful to give no sign of it, perhaps invisibly flying.

And the Jo/Imra/Tinya problem has gone on far too long. It is very annoying now.

From: Houston TX | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Nice job. A few comments:

> Page eight... Is it Sensor or the narrator who calls Cham and Gates 'bleeding hearts'?

I'd tend towards Jeka herself. The whole thing is reflective of her thoughts, and a phrase like that one would seem to flow out of her harsh attitude here.

> Or is Star Boy *really* turning into a black hole?

Page 16... he's not - he's standing between Kid Q and Cos

> ULTRA BOY and APPARITION: Don't like the golden skin tones for Tinya-- or is she reflecting the energy cast from the quantum sphere?

I'm sure that's a reflection.

Incidentally, what do you think of her [albeit small] costume change here, shortening the black stripe to end with a point @ her waist. Personally, I don't like it - she suited the stipe better than some others, with the long black stripe to match her long straight black hair.

> The shifting between dream and reality is tricky- especially when presented as one thing, as here. We don't know yet just what's what, so it is hard to form an opinion.

I'd tend towards everything before Kari broke free (Sensor's one page interlude aside) being part of the collective "dream", and everything after being real. The only thing which may be even partially reflected in reality is Cub's sphere going, since the day has to be just about up - and I doubt he'll have grown up like that. Chalk that one down to a GDS "homage," and a reflection of his parents fears (esp. Apparition).

> BRAINIAC 5: Somehow, I hope he thinks his way 'free' all on his own.

I think there is precedent, isn't there?

Oh, and Von more theeeng:

Anyone want to guess what happens to the people "killed" in the dream, like Kid Q & Thom? Their thoughts stop, to make more room for Universo? Something else?

[ July 08, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Sanity or Madness? ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by yarky:
I imagine Lyle could sneak up on her if he was very careful to give no sign of it, perhaps invisibly flying.

Hehehe ... how long 'til the next issue comes out? [Invisible Kid]
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Thanks Todd. Great as usual. The Legion is still one of the only books I have to read when it comes out. Others can sit in my reading stack for months. And only 3 more issues until Steve's triumphant return! YAY!

And thank YOU, Scott-- and Nightcrawler-- for devoting this space for CTR. I appreciate it greatly.

My comic stack is shrinking, too-- but there are some upcoming projects that will take up the slack. At least for a month or two.

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
OMG, can this GET any cooler???

Todd has long-deserved his own forum for the CTR's!

Can't wait to see this every month!!

Thanks, M'lash-- I hope CTR lives up to your enthusiasm!

TN

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
I hope Shikari's "seeing" ability is defined a little clearer soon - I agree that it's almost bordering on telepathy. She can already use it to anticipate a foe's movements. She can see through Sensor's illusions, can she also see through Cham's disguises? Can she sense Vi even if she were too small to be seen by the eye? Can she tell if someone's lying? I can't imagine Lyle has a chance of sneaking up on her or anything...

This *does* need to be cleared up. I wonder if it can be attributed to a matter of physiology, rather than super-powers. Maybe her people can better hear electronics than most UP member...

...so that she was 'picking up' the broadcasts Universo was making.

Though it didn't seem like 'hearing', did it?

I hope DNA don't leave this dangling... isn't there a secret files coming up sometime soon? That'd be a good time to address this, perhaps.

TN

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Lad:
I found Cub's appearance before he "aged" to look suspiciously like Kal-El Superboy... Black hair, blue eyes...

Supposedly, the aging happened in the "dream", but as we saw with M'on at the end of the issue, the Legionnaires' actions have effect in the real world despite being in response to the dream scenario. Add my suspicions to the appearance of what appears to be Kal-El Superboy on TnT's cover for issue 25...

...and I GOT CHILLS, BAYBEE!! [Big Grin]

Verrry cool prognostication there, pov. Hard to think of Jo and Tinya as parents of 'Superboy', though.

I kind of think that it might be M'onel changing uniforms (and names?)... after meeting Clark and Kon-el.

We'll see in... what, four issues?

TN

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by matlock:
Sensor: I can see that DnA are trying to divert the character from the sometimes cloyingly "nice" persona she's usually had. That's all well and good, but my main quibble here is that I like that she's upset and angry right now, but her dialogue has no sense of the "regal" underpinnings of Jeka. She doesn't sound like a scared and pissed off princess. The smart aleck dialogue seems pretty "common" to me.

I have to agree, matlock. I would've liked to see a bit more regal-sounding dialogue interspersed with the 'common'. The common would've been all the more shocking by comparison. There *was*, in mitigation, some royal-seeming *action*-- the virtual dragging of Shikari.

quote:
Originally posted by matlock:

Shikari: I like Shikari, but is seems a little like she's adapted to her present circumstances a little too quickly.

I'm not so sure... I get the impression that Shikari was 'in the market' for a change such as accompanying the Legion. She was primed and ready to discover/delve into a new situation.

Still-- there's always room for a 'surprised newcomer' sort of reaction from her... even after people joined in her wake.

TN

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Shikari's ability seems to require active use for example she only broken thru Universo's attack when she tried to find the source of "Darkseid's attack". I imagine Lyle could sneak up on her if he was very careful to give no sign of it, perhaps invisibly flying.

Which somehow makes me anticipate a meeting between Karate Kid and 'Kari... remember his 'hearing heartbeats' ,or somesuch, from kilometers away?

Invisible flying *should* be used often. Hard to counter.

I think the active component of 'Kari's powers makes more sense, in this instance, than my slapping 'alien' hearing onto her physiology. Ah, well.

quote:

And the Jo/Imra/Tinya problem has gone on far too long. It is very annoying now.

I just hope there's a BIG payoff for the protractedness of this subplot.

TN

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.