Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Greg Larocque ROCKED! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Greg Larocque ROCKED!
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Mike Grell is currently doing a brand-new 6-issue mini for IDW Publishing of JON SABLE FREELANCE. Yee-hah!
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to agree Mahlstedt was awesome over Greg's work. Ofcourse I'm a HUGE Mahlstedt fan. Giffen, Larocque, and Bagley (New Warriors) all benefitted from this guy. (Karl Kesel is my other favorite inker).

Anyways the Larocque/Mahlstedt are for sure my fave. I have to go back and look but i don't remember the guys looking too much the same. Atleast Cham and Blok didn't. [Wink] And the women were beautiful. It was during my favorite Legion era so I may be biased.

(Did he draw Power Man & Iron Fist? And who inked him? Thanks.)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
My index is not quite finished yet... but I show Greg LaRocque did PM/IF #103, inked by Andy Mushynsky-- whose style was similar to Joe Sinnott. I'm guessing Greg did more issues... one of these days I'll have to dig those out.

Greg was also the 3rd artist to draw O M A C: One Man Army Corps!!! He had the bad luck (I suppose) to follow Jim Starlin, whose run was cut short by the infamous "DC Implosion". Together with writers Mishkin & Cohn and inker Vince Colletta, he did 6 8-page episodes in the back of WARLORD #42-47. After the ultra-ULTRA-violent turn Starlin put the series through, LaRocque & co. tried to drag things back to a more Jack Kirby view of things... to mixed success. I believe that was the first time I saw Greg's work (1981); he turned up on PM/IF in '84.

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Greg I think did # 73, #103, #108 thru #113.

I remember #113 the best he drew one of my fave Marvel villains Bres. A character he also drew in Avengers. He draws the definitive Bres (who actually would make a good legion villain)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow Kid
Talokian Super-Hunk

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Kid   Email Shadow Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I always thought that Greg Larocque held the legion back during the second half of Levitz's run. He drew the girls alright but all of his guys had these weird sloping noses. He also lacked the unique, interesting depiction of the 30th Century that all of the great legion artists have had (IMO Swan, Cockrum, Grell, Giffen and Coipel)which I have always felt is the main criteria for who should or shouldn't draw the legion.
profh0011
Applicant

I took a closer look at that (unfinished) index...

POWER MAN / IRON FIST
#73 / Sep'81 -- Wraith, Color Or Creed // Duffy / LaRocque / Villamonte

#91 / Mar'83 -- Paths And Angles // Steven Grant / GREG LaROCQUE

#103 / Mar'84 -- Doombringer // Goodwin / LaRocque / Mushynsky

The 1st was a fill-in during the terrific Duffy-Gammill period. The 2nd was a fill-in near the end of Denys Cowan's run (I was always SEVERELY disappointed in his art, compared to Kerry Gammill's). The 3rd followed a whole set of issues by Kurt Busiek & Ernie Chan. And that's as far as my index goes! Talk over overdue for updating...

l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Kid:
[QB]I always thought that Greg Larocque held the legion back during the second half of Levitz's run. QB]

i liked Larocque's run on Legion but i always thought that Mike Decarlo's inks imo made Greg's work look sort of Kirby-ish to me.

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

"Mike Decarlo's inks imo made Greg's work look sort of Kirby-ish"

That's odd-- I never noticed that. However, when Keith Giffen came back (LSH #50), he had definitely shifted BACK into his earlier "Kirby" mode (like back when he drew THE DEFENDERS). Teamed with DeCarlo, it was the best that style of Keith's had ever looked, and I was reminded very much of Kirby-Sinnott-- or maybe Kirby-Stone. (If only Keith hadn't decided to distort his faces more and more with each issue...)

I did a pin-up of the Giffen-DeCarlo era for KLORDNY some time back, which I recently posted at my website.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/zodiaccomics/klordny.html

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Greg LaRocque, IMO the greatest, grandest, most glorious, gigantic artistic talent to work on LSH.

Even when Levitz's writing went into a nosedive post-Universo, LaRocque kept getting better and better. To give one example, the Luck Lords story may not be much of a story, but LaRocque creates some breathtaking panoramas.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmp. Coulda sworn Grell returned for that issue.

I'm lukewarm on him. Don't dislike him, but he never stood out to me. Some of his eyes/faces seemed a bit off as well.

But to each their own.

It didn't help him any that colorists hadn't caught up to how to color on baxter paper, either - colors were still quite garish in those days.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Grell was one of several guest artists in that issue, each drawing a different flashback. LaRocque drew all the present-day sequences.

And I [Love] loved [Love] the garish colors.

But, as you say, to each their own.

IMO if LaRocque had drawn Conspiracy in its entirety, it might have actually risen above its flaws.

--------------------

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
My opinions:

His women were beautiful and dynamic. He liked big hair.

Sometimes his proportions on the human body seemed kinda wonky.

Often his faces were quite generic.

His scenery often seemed... sterile.

Yes, he was a victim of transitional coloring and DeCarlo's unfairly distinctive inking.

He will always be compared to Giffen and Lightle, whose work is far more entertaining.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I hate to call someone's art 'workmanlike,' but his was. It did the job, cleanly and clearly, which I appreciate. There were occasional pictures that leapt out at me (the picture of shady with her cloak billowing around at the link on page one, for instance), but much of his work was good, but not great.

Which, unfortunately, puts him miles above some other Legion artists, who somehow managed to give every Legionnaire, male or female, the same perfectly square head, and enormous botox-lips...

I can't be too critical of facial similarities, since even Steve Lightle, who is probably my favorite Legion artist, tended to use similar faces. (All of the men, in particular, had really delicate eyebrows, as if they'd spend hours plucking them just so...)

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember waaay back when in an interview with Greg, before his first issue of Legion ever came out, he listed Mike Grell as among his most beloved influences in the comic artist industry and he said he would strive to bring back that clean, defined look to the Legion once again.
The similarities in their work is obvious and you can cleary see the influences of Grell's work, especially in Greg's versions of the female Legionnaires.

I think Greg did a great job during his time with the Legion and left way too early IMO.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Greg LaRocque, IMO the greatest, grandest, most glorious, gigantic artistic talent to work on LSH.

Even when Levitz's writing went into a nosedive post-Universo, LaRocque kept getting better and better. To give one example, the Luck Lords story may not be much of a story, but LaRocque creates some breathtaking panoramas.

Years later, I still stand by that statement.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.