Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » If you didn't buy 'em, how did you acquire 'em? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you didn't buy 'em, how did you acquire 'em?
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Your LSH comics, whether you have one or hundreds. Yeah, how'd you get 'em if you didn't go to the store/convention/internet and purchase them yourself?

My story is pretty boring. Even as a kid I made my own selections and paid for them with my own money earned from kid-type odd jobs.

The dozen or so that have been gifted to me have come fom LWers! (Some Adventure, SLSH 200, & more from Pov, some SLSH including the Super Stalag Outlawed Legion reprint from Lash [whose grandma bought it for him. Provenance!], and the Mordru tabloid from lil'r. Thanks, lads!)

I've also borrowed stuff from individuals and libraries, but I'm not counting loan materials as part of my collection -- I've returned them all, honest!

So, what about you sentients?

Parents/relatives buy 'em for you, at your request or otherwise?

Given to you by other kids or sibs, or traded with same?

Found them somewhere? (Where? We must know.)

Won them? (Please tell!)

Got one (or more) by mistake? (^Ditto!)

That was the middle comic from the Whitman 3-pack or something similar?

...but surely you didn't STEAL any.

[ August 23, 2011, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Thriftshop Debutante ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
My grandma sent me some Grell Legion comics way back in the 70's, and I became hooked on the Legion. I had nothing previous to, nor post-Grell for a LONG time. I had managed to find at least one issue of the EarthWar comics. So, when we moved to Washington state, my family and I went to Seattle, to the Pike Place Market, and I discovered Golden Age Collectibles. I found Superboy #197 all the way through the then current Earthwar series, something like #243 or or 5! My parents actually bought me all of that stuff! I could not believe they were doing that for me. It was amazing.

After that, I kept going to the stores that sold Legion comics, and if I missed and issue, I would look at other stores in the area. My Mom would *always* take me out of her way in order to find the comics I wanted. I have NO idea why they were so cool to me about all that, but they were. I will never forget that.

After that, I have found all my Legion comics on my own, and paid for them myself.

[ June 24, 2005, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Sketch Lad ]

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
When I decided that I liked the Legion, I asked my Dad where our Legion collection was and he pointed me to a few long boxes. There, I saw the entire adventure run from roughly the Subs second appearance forward, a few Superboy and the Legion’s, and then the whole Legion run from Omen and the Prophet to the then present day (minus a handful, which I’ve since bought).

Since then, I’ve bought all the issues missing in b/t (including the Great Darkness TPB, which I bought first).

However, I have been lucky enough to receive these:

- Vee sent me along a few of his old Adventure comics to fill out my run (thanks Vee! [Big Grin] )

- Faraway Lad was nice enough not to outbid me on Ultra Boy’s first appearance during my first ebay purchase when I just starting grad school (and very poor). I know I technically bought this one, but it’s worth mentioning. (Thanks Far! [Big Grin] )

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've basically been buying it with my own money off the stands since 1975. I've bought back issues at comic book stores, online (through Mile High or others places), bid a TON on eBay (and wouldn't be surprised if I outbid a number of people here before I knew you all [Big Grin] ) and I've had a few gifted to me (thanks Rhino!). And I've tried to share the wealth where I can.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I got most of my earliest Adventures from neighbor kids who'd had them handed down to them from older brothers. Not unlike heroin, the first few hits were free. Once I was hooked, I started shelling out the dough until my collection was complete. First through back issue companies, then when they got revitalized in the early 70s, at the local newsstands. That was before stores that sold comics exclusively existed.

[ June 24, 2005, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: jimgallagher ]

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The cat dragged them in, but they're still readable.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
MRROWWW!!!!!
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Parental patronage.

I've described in previous threads (for those with long memories) how I discovered the Legion while my brother and I were left at the comic book rack when my mother and grandmother went shopping. The issue was LSH (first series) #1, with Superboy on the cover swinging Mon-El into a futuristic street doohickey. The issue made such an impression that I begged Mom to take me back the next day and buy the issue. To her everlasting regret, she gave in.

Mom bought all my comics until I was able to afford them myself. Back issues in my hometown were unheard of. When I was 14, I discovered my first comics shop while in Kansas City. It was there that I bought most of the ADVENTURE run. I now live about 30 blocks from that same shop, though, ironically, I rarely go there. Too many more attractive options.

The first two ADVENTUREs I ever owned, however, were given to me by a friend who moved away. He was two years older than me, but had a small collection of comics from the '60s, including ADV. # 368 (the mutiny of the super-heroines issue) and # 372 (the origin of the LSV). When he left, he gave those comics to me. What a guy!

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
If it weren't for my free Legion comics, I might not be a fan today! I bought the first issue of TMK (cuz I liked Giffen), but found the book too dense to get into. I was working as a Marvel intern at the time and there were always free comics around (more Marvel than DC needless to say). I got ahold of numbers 3 and 4 and that hooked me enough to keep buying the book and search out as many back issues as I could grab up.

(Needless to say, I also got a ton of other free books besides that...)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Intern at Marvel, Drake? Do tell!!

This thread inspires me to give some long-overdue shout-outs!

To my grade-school friend Keith and his Mom, who took me to my first-ever CBS!

To my late, great-aunt (Mimi!), who happened to live nearby that very same CBS!

And to my dear Grandmother, who went to pick her up every Friday and took me along to buy me comics!

Then I grew up and stuff, and started buying my own. FEH!

I'll tease Granny (now in her 80s) sometimes... "Can you take me to the comic book store and get me some comics? The cheap ones are only $2.50 each!" and she'll gasp in shock or something, it's cute!

Shout-outs also to the following LWers for providing me with awesome various LSH collectibles!

li'l Rhino!

Thriftshop Debutante!

Poverty Lad!

Beagz!

Dean Lee!

and (the long-lost) Omega-Matt.

[ June 25, 2005, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Lash, my grandma had no idea what she was sending me, back in the 70's. She just figured they were "funny books." She had no idea that I'd become addicted and end up collecting that series for the rest of my life. It's kinda weird, really.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

[Tornado Twins]
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Miss Teeds, I must correct you above: I am almost certain the ish I sent you was the S/LSH reprint with the Starlin cover, "The Outlawed Legion" and not the Super-Stalag story reprinted in a 100-page spectacular (I can't picture myself ever parting with my old 100-pagers).

I can distinctly remember reading it in the parking lot of Montesi's after I bought it!!

Also, as I recall, it earned a grade of "A+" from me [LOL]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Correction: A++ [ROTFLMAO]

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Oops! That is correct. But with a cover like this:

Click for fullsize image

...you can see how I made the error.

PS: you gave it an A++

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.