Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Which Keith Giffen art style was better? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Which Keith Giffen art style was better?
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Acknowledgement goes to Cobalt Kid for giving me the 'nudge' to intro another query:

Keith Giffen's run on the LEGION was phenomenal and from LEGION 285 (Princess Projectra-Karate Kid spotlight story) to the first few pages of LEGION 307, his art was superb...then it became rushed and sloppy. However, thats my point of view. Others may disagree (and that's reasonable enuff)

Who among the Legion Worlders had a favourite Giffen run? Was it:

1)The first run (LEGION 285-313)
2)The second run (LSH 50-63)
3)The third run (LEGION 5YL 1-38)?

and give some reasons why. It may be interesting to find out...

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
First run all the way!

It was Giffen at his peak. I agree, his later art looks sloppy and hurried. It's a murky mess and everybody looks the same.

But, at his peak, I wanted to draw just like him!

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Gary!

I remember the Star Boy spotlight - it was Giffen's last good job...He drew a particularly handsome Thom and made Wildfire look as "super" as he was when Cockrum was doing the art chores.

What went wrong?

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
ahhh this is tough. i love all his art.

if i was forced (i mean really forced) to choose i would say second run.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
First run, definitely, for the reasons stated above.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Look at those faces! (And everything else {ahem})

-

First run. No contest. Giffen's faces and bodies actually had some classic definition. In his third run, especially, too many fine details faded into a sketchy and shapeless mass -- and he portrayed emotion primarily by scrunching up faces.

Even in his prime, inkers such as Larry Mahlstedt were his better half. Such as on that famous poster (reprinted in the first edition of "The Great Darkness Saga" TPB) with hundreds of characters.

Whatever gave him an evocative visual technique somehow vanished, in the middle of the "Omen and Prophet" story line, and never came back. It may have been that poster that made him burn out, from some reports.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the shout-out Brian!

I'd have to agree with Giffen's first run too all the way. His art was so refreshing and crisp, and his takes on the various characters is part of what made GDS so much fun.

I do have to say, however, that I loved his nine-panel grids in TMK. They were reminescent of Steve Ditko and the Silver Age, and they were a distinct form of Legion story-telling.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Greybird:
[QB] Look at those faces!

Excellent job of digging up those few panels of Saturn Girl and Light Lass bonding in sister-in-lawish fashion, Greybird

Tho its difficult to pinpoint when the scenes took place...before the Great Darkness stories, obviously.

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
While I like all of Giffen's styles, I actually put his first run as *third* - as well done as that stuff was, stylistically it never wowed me.

It's hard for me to decide between the other two styles because I loved them for different reasons. I guess the TMK stuff would be #2 because I loved the darker tone, the thick black brushwork, even the faces unrealistically half-covered in shadow! Loved the nine-panel grid, love the grit! It was perfect for the kind of stories they were telling (I also loved the "Dr. Fate" mini he did prior to TMK which had a similar style).

But based on visual style alone, I'll go with his second run which hit its peak during the Emerald Empress two parter. Yeah, some of his faces were a bit inflated (and maybe a little too "Maguire-like"), but I loved how clean that style was and how he had simplified his linework. Not crazy about the redesigned costumes, but that's another thread...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
All Giffen's art rawks, with the sole exception of that sketchy mess he used for his TRENCHER series.

His 5-years Later luscious lips come close to toppling Mike Allred from the Luscious Lips Throne!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthtownKid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthtownKid   Email SouthtownKid         Edit/Delete Post     
I like all three runs a lot, and overall, Giffen has been my all time favorite Legion artist, whichever style he was working in.

But I think I like the first run best. A lot of it comes from Levitz really being at his peak story-wise. And Giffen's style and storytelling were much more clear...easier to follow what was going on, and much easier to tell exactly which character was which at any given time. Basically, friendlier and more accessible to new readers.

The 5 years later stuff in particular, while I love it, could be very off-putting for new people who didn't already know who the characters were, and their relationship to each other. I worked at a comic book store for a while during this period, and a common complaint I would hear (from the relative few who read it), was that they would mistake similar-looking characters for each other.

I don't think it's a coincidence that LSH was the 2nd highest selling DC title at the time of Levitz/Giffen's first run, and held a much lower position during following runs.

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
well i actually liked all 3 versions of the LEGION by Keith Giffen !!

if i had to choose one, it would have to be his first take on the team, around the "GREAT DARKNESS SAGA" !! just amazing character detail, and costume designs, also the locations and building looked so cool !!

but going onto his later work, i also really liked the re-designed costumes during the "MAGIC WARS" and his "heavier" features on the characters, and then finally during the "5 Year Gap" his style really suited that too IMO !!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
The first run. His first few issues weren't that good but after that he was amazing.

But like the others I'm a fan of all three styles. If anything his storytelling has gotten better over the years. But I still love everything from #300 to #315 big time.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
First run.....i copied alot of Giffen's art at that time with i was learning to draw. Even though our styles are quite different, Giffen at that time period is one of my biggest artistic influences.
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ambient-Noise Boy
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ambient-Noise Boy   Email Ambient-Noise Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I prefer the third run. It was crazy, scratchy and still a bit obsessive with the nine-panel grid. Very cool. It was not superhero or science fiction, but some new entity.
The darkness in the series also went strangely well with the humour of the comic.

Charlie E/N

--------------------
>?

Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.