Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Which Keith Giffen art style was better? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Which Keith Giffen art style was better?
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
In last place, I'd put his second run. His storytelling has never been in question, but at this point he didn't seem interested in details and the Legion is all about details. The art did seem rushed, casual. I thinked I liked it just because it was Giffen. I thought Mike DeCarlo's inks were the absolute worst match ever for Giffen's pencils. That ruined it for me.

In second place, the TMK issues. I actually liked the challenge of figuring out what was going on and who was who. Yes, the art worked for the kind of stories that were going on. It matched the tone and mood of the era. I had no problem with the nine panels or the repeated panels.

My favorite is definitely his first run. He basically re-designed the look of the Legion's universe. His take on architecture and machinery and technological gizmos was used all the way until Coipel came along. He designed the Mission Monitor board and its icons. Also, he made each Legionnaire look more dynamic in action than anyone before him. Sun Boy, Lightning Lad, Shadow Lass, etc etc. Each of his panels were clean and detailed. The GDS still amazes me. That poster still amazes me. I remember when his style shifted to that more hectic, more cartoony look. I wasn't pleased. I knew an era was over.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the hectic cartoony look with Kesel inking. Loved it. Element Lad flying in some strange pose changing elements? Man that rocked.

Who killed Laurel Kent was good as well. [Smile]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Giffen rules while others space-drool.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Love all his styles...they all have different things to offer. Even love his Kirby phase he's going through right now.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calm Yo Tits
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calm Yo Tits           Edit/Delete Post     
All y'all Giffen haterz need to calm y'alls tits.
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh Calm, you're a breath of fresh air, darling!
From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
5YL is my favorite. His current style has most of the same characteristics, but everyone (everyone!) is thick and has an ugly, distorted face. If I wanted to see that there are plentyof mirrors in my house.

[Tizzles]

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought his first Legion run is still the best, even if the characters were a bit stiff. His artwork and story telling with Paul Levitz is what made the GDS and stories soon after still the best Legion run to date. The detail and character anatomy were much better than the next two Legion runs. The shadow faces in 5YL were goofy and really disappointed me.

Have to say that in my comic maturation I have really come to admire and respect Jack Kirby art and I think Keith Giffen has paid homage to him and his style and flow better than anyone. I have really enjoyed the New52 run of OMAC - too bad it has been cancelled. I still maintain Keith Giffen did some major damage to the Legion both in story and artwork during his 5YL time but I have liked some of his recent Legion work, such as the Emerald Empress annual.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked his first run best and it is my 3rd fav of all art ever on the Legion (With Lightle first and Sherman second).

Didn't care for the second style at all. As others have said, it looked rushed.

Third style was different and pretty good. While not mind blowing, it fit the theme and tone of the book at the time very well.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Love all his styles...they all have different things to offer. Even love his Kirby phase he's going through right now.

I like his Kirby phase he's going through now also. I recall that prior to his first run on the Legion that he was known as a Kirby imitator. With his current Kirby phase he seems to have gone full circle. Does anyone have a link to images of his earlier Kirby influenced work?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.