Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Jo Nah and Jonah

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jo Nah and Jonah
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So, of course, Jo Nah's origin story of being swallowed by an ultra-energy beast was supposed to parallel Jonah's being swallowed by a whale. In the postboot the parallel became even closer as Jo was literally swallowed by a "space-whale".

We've only been told a little bit of Jo's threeboot origin, but we know he gained his powers by being exposed to radiation. I personally wouldn't care if they gave up the whole "swallowed" aspect of Jo's origin. But perhaps it would be interesting if WaK constructed other parallels with the story of Jonah.

Here is, in essence the story of Jonah:

1) Jonah is told by God to preach to the inhabitants of Ninevah.

2) Jonah avoids God's command by fleeing in a ship.

3) The ship is tossed by horrible storms, which only cease once Jonah is tossed overboard.

4) Jonah is swallowed by a "great fish", where he spends three days until he finally decides to fulfill God's command, and is regurgitated

5) Empowered by God, Jonah preaches to the inhabitants of Ninevah that their city will be destroyed because of their sins.

6) The people of Ninevah repents, and God spares them, much to the chagrin of Jonah, who thinks the wicked people should be destroyed anyway.

Jonah was a bit of an irresponsible jerkwit, wasn't he? Anyway, I guess I'm it might be cool if Jo's origin kind of followed the structure of the Biblical story, even if it doesn't follow it exactly (like having him swallowed). Especially the notion of avoiding responsibility, suffering the consequences, and becoming powerful once he faces up to those consequences.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The characters match pretty well, so far. Of course, Jo has always had a compassionate side which Jonah lacked - I wouldn't see him thinking some group of people should be destroyed after they'd repented. Still, maybe he could turn out to be stubborn in that way. He certainly seems to be the type who would have to be forced to listen to higher reason.

Star Boy could be Job.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know. I'm kind of reminded of the scene in #4 where Jo wanted to keep fighting the S.P.'s even as they were retreating...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Jo is asked by his father to join the SPs to help rid Rimbor of crime.

2. Jo leaves home and joins a gang.

3. In a bad heist Jo is get radiation poisoning and is in a coma for three days.

4. Upon awakening decides to rid Rimbor of crime instead of rejoin the gangs. Notices Rimbor is a lost cause and will always be dangerous. Joins the Legion???

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthtownKid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthtownKid   Email SouthtownKid         Edit/Delete Post     
In my opinion, every time they try and take something 'goofy' out of Legion lore (like Bouncing Boy, M.E. Lad, any name with "Lad" in it, etc.), some of the charm is lost.

Please save the space whales.

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Jonah was a bit of an irresponsible jerkwit, wasn't he? Anyway, I guess I'm it might be cool if Jo's origin kind of followed the structure of the Biblical story, even if it doesn't follow it exactly (like having him swallowed). Especially the notion of avoiding responsibility, suffering the consequences, and becoming powerful once he faces up to those consequences.

Can we tie this into Mircro Lad and have Gim's race be the giants from the Bible? It's not so much that I want the Bible brought in wholesale to the Legion as much as I find the ideas interesting. As an atheist, I have no stake in the Bible, but I love the mythology around it.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh dear lord...
I have to admit I never noticed the "Jo Nah"/"Jonah" thing until I saw the title of ede's thread.

I haven't been this embarrassed since I realized Staurn Girl's name was "Imra" and not "Irma".

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Quoth Ferro Boy:
Can we tie this into Mircro Lad and have Gim's race be the giants from the Bible? It's not so much that I want the Bible brought in wholesale to the Legion as much as I find the ideas interesting. As an atheist, I have no stake in the Bible, but I love the mythology around it.

I had been thinking that very thing. Gim may be one of the Nephilim, the "giants in the land" who somehow remained in hiding till the 31st Century. It would explain his being from earth and also tie in with his Jewish heritage from time gone by.

I also wouldn't want this to be Bible Comics, but DC has most certainly drawn on Biblical lore before--remember a chap called the Spectre?

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.