Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » So, is it me, or is Terror Firma not as scary creepy as Robotica? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, is it me, or is Terror Firma not as scary creepy as Robotica?
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Cause there are parallels to this first major arc here, y'know. Villains working to tear down the U.P. on a galactic scale, both from within and without...

Maybe Terror Firma just really really really aren't the cool villains Waid thinks they are. I dunno.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd agree that they're nowhere near as creepy as Robotica. The whole sentient machine thing spoke to our (my?) fears of computers run amok, machines supplanting mankind, HAL.... It was one of the great, undeveloped stories of DnA and only weakened by the smarmy and accomodating Robotican Legion Academy applicant.

Terror Firma - Elysion strikes me as more of a loudmouth gang leader with resentments against the Legion, trying to please Big Daddy Lemnos. The others don't really have personalities yet, and we haven't seen too much of their powers in action. I don't even remember their names. They aren't individuals in the sense that the Fatal Five were, and they don't have some great evil goal of their own - they're grunts, puppets, whatever. Maybe if they rebel against Lemnos and go on some galactic rampage, they'll be scary. Right now, they're just fighting better. We never really saw what they did to Orando - perhaps if we'd been taken through the destruction, T.F. would be more frightening.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah but they are much cooler. I like these guys. Fatal Five who? [Wink]
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, Robotica was scarier than TF, but The Blight took the cake. They were like zombies, eating people and stuff.

But in defense of 3boot villainy, we've only gotten a glimpse or two of Lemnos' army - I get the impression they number in the thousands - so it's probably premature to judge the magnitude of the threat.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I have to admit that the villains have left me totally unimpressed so far. Of course, I feel like we've barely seen them--I can't even remember their names.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree, Lemnos is still the scariest of the "new" villains. I keep thinking of Terror Firma as just cannon fodder.

But if they were able to destroy Orando, they should be MUCH scarier. FC's right, we just need to be shown what they're capable of.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought Robotica was an excellent premise that DnA squandered. Much like the Borg from Star Trek (that you could argue "inspired" many aspects of Robotica) as soon as the threat went from an unfeeling, "not-to-be-reasoned-with", seemingly unstoppable menace, to a pupper group subjegated to a single mind (Computo/Borg Queen) with a motive and agenda, it lost all of it's fright factor.

THe above poster was correct though, in that Robotica also suffered from being a rehash of the Blight.

Terra Firma, on the other hand, is at least a little original. I don't think they're supposed to be the uber-threat, just an obstacle. This arc is more about intorducing the team and dealing with the mystery of Lemnos. TF is there so the Legion can punch something along the way.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree that the Terror Firma/Robotica comparison is a little off, in that TF are the "advanced wave" of something bigger, rather than the real threat. Perhaps they'd be better compared with the Oversight Watch?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthtownKid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthtownKid   Email SouthtownKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Yeah, Robotica was scarier than TF, but The Blight took the cake.

That's what I was going to say also. But I don't think they really need to be creepy scary to make great adversaries. Of course, if you put "Terror" in the name, you kind of set expectations, I guess... But I'm enjoying these guys so far.

Mostly, I've been preoccupied with wanting to learn about the new Legionnaires though, so I haven't really thought much about the villains.

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked Robotica more once they went from scary to sympathetic, but then I'm a Trekkie. For creepy, I preferred the Blight, and for outright terror nothing beat the Progenitor.

Terror Firma's just an "anti-Legion" narratively, I think. They're there for fights and to demonstrate another style of superteam. (Recall how bad they are at cooperation, for instance.) So far, Lemnos is the scary one--and that even after he's introduced himself with a casual chat. He's just so breezily murderous!

From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Lemnos is scarier but confusing a tad.

Terror Firma are super cool. Robotica were generic IMO though I enjoyed the story with them as the villains.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I find Lemnos (and before him, Mnemonic Kid) to be VERY creepy scary. The one thing we can each call all our very own and no one else's is our memories. To have someone alter/eradicte/mess with that is the ultimate personal blasphemy! Total violation. Yuck!

As for Terror Firma... meh. They're alright I guess.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
I guess I'd have to see where Waid is going with the Terra Firma/Lemnos story before I could fully compare it against DNA's Robotica arc.

Though Robotica fizzeled out at the end, it was a much more interesting opponet for the Legion than the generic/bland Terra Firma. At least so far.

On the other hand, Lemnos (who I look at as seperate from TF)is hella-cool/scary. The Lemnos back up a few issues ago has easily been my favorite story from the new series so far.

I *really* wish Waid would have had the Legion battle a few non-Lemnos related villans. Though I appreciate that he is trying to build up toward the big upcoming war, I fear the agonizingly slow pace has lost the new Legion more than a few readers...

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Robotica is much more scary opponent than Terror Firma - so far. We saw how Robotica first infiltrated SP HQ and attacked and consumed an officer, than later on a planetary scale ravaged the entire planet of Xanthu and fight back the Khundian army. Terror Firma took out Orando, maybe, but we didn't see it. Otherwise, they've just pushed around some Legion kids and SPs. right now they seem to be more like a gang of bullies than a terrorist army.

Likewise, Lemnos comes across to me more like a Mr. Myxtzplk (sp?), annoyingly powerful and evasive rather than scary.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I have to admit that the villains have left me totally unimpressed so far. Of course, I feel like we've barely seen them--I can't even remember their names.

Still can't. Do we have them listed somewhere? Or does anyone even remember?

(or was that Lemnos plan?)

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.