Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Legion News From Wondercon Via Newsarama (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Legion News From Wondercon Via Newsarama
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The Legion was brought up a few times during the Architects of the DCU panel at Wondercon today. No surprises we really revealed but here's what was said (all courtesy of Newsarama):

quote:
When an audience member said they were confused by just how many Supergirls there were in the DCU currently, and coming up, Didio interjected, asking, “C’mon, how many are there, really?”

The reader pointed out that there appear to be two in the current Supergirl title, and possibly a third that will be showing up in Legion of Super-Heroes as part of the One Year Later storyline, to which Didio replied, “Oh, I guess you’re right – there are a lot.” Asked when it will all make sense, Rucka, the upcoming writer on Supergirl said, “I know exactly who she is, and so does Mark,” adding that the two are planning to meet this weekend to work out the hows and whys of Supergirl appearing in both titles at the same time.

“Within my first six issues, we find out some truths about Kara, and that she’s not realy who we think she is, but she is Kara Zor-el,” Rucka said, and then, noting some unrest from the audience added, “She’s not a horse, she’s not a zombie, and she’s not a robot.”

“Holy crap, now I’m nervous,” Waid added with a chuckle.

quote:
The remaining time of the panel was spent by audience members suggesting characters to be put into 52, given the writers’ claims that they’re going to try to fit everyone in. The rundown (notes on the characters were taken by Rucka and Wacker, and replies, when given came from various panel members):

Legion of Super-Heroes – “We’re looking for a way to bring them to the modern day DCU, and we want it to be big,” Waid said. “52 might be the place.”

Legion of Super-Pets – “Nice try”

Mon-El – “Possibly,” Waid said.

Prez – “He came up, but we determined he was an Elseworlds,” Rucka said. Waid: “Maybe I can put him into the Legion, and his super power can be that he’s President of the United States.”

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
"52 might be the place"? I thought they would have the 52 storyline all mapped out at this point; maybe the Legion makes a "big" guest appearance.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
It's all happening again. Sales dip and the same mistakes happen all over again...and again...and again.

The Legion does NOT need the 20th century heroes. It's all in the name of fun...and sales. And the Legion will suffer yet again.

Making a big splash somewhere in 52? *sigh*

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
"52 might be the place"? I thought they would have the 52 storyline all mapped out at this point; maybe the Legion makes a "big" guest appearance.

Actually, it appeared from the panel that the 52 story line is not yet set in stone. Waid asked for suggestions from the audience regarding DCU characters to include in the 52 story line. They certainly gave the impression that not everything was set in stone, although I'm sure the basic story line has been set.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm loving the idea of Mon-El appearing in 52 and then coming to the future.

More news at www.newsarama.com, with an interview with Waid.

More Chameleon in upcoming issues.

Waid loves Bouncing Boy and Matter-Eater Lad. He's pushing for Bouncing Boy but Barry doesn't want him in.

Wildfire in #16, along with Tyroc, Dawnstar and Blok.

Much talk of Shikari

The Brainy/Dreamy story will be a big part of Year Two.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
News from the Mark Waid panel (again from Newsarama).

quote:
Fans expressed delight with the Legion letter columns from recent issues of that series, and one fan even expressed a desire for an all-letter column issue. Waid said he’d be up for it if the fan could get it approved. He urged fans to keep sending letters, because they’ll keep printing them.

To write LOSH, Waid explained he has character depictions drawn by Kitson he moves around “like chess pieces”, in order to write each issue.

Describing the process, Waid might realize, “Oh, we haven’t seen Star Boy use his powers in awhile”, and then Star Boy will use his powers.

He also mentioned he tends to gravitate towards characters from his childhood and to characters with a sense of humor. He’s enjoying writing Chameleon Boy in Legion in part for this reason, and he will be featured more prominently soon.

On that front, many questions were asked about characters who will appear in Legion. Wildfire will be appearing in issue #15, as well as the three characters on the cover, and a new character will appear in issue #18. There has been much talk of Shikari from the last incarnation of the Legion appearing. Kitson seems to be against Bouncing Boy at this time, although Waid loves him and Matter-Eater Lad.

In coming issues we’ll be getting into why Braniac 5 seems to have so much anger. The rest of the Legion doesn’t know he has the body of Dream Girl, but he has an amazing plan and the plotline will get to the core of his rage. This will be a big part of year two in the book, in issues #16-18 readers will be getting a sense of this.

Waid is less comfortable with the magic side of the Legion, even though Mordru is one of his two favorite villains (along with Composite Superman). When asked if he’ll be touching on some of those elements, he said he would have to speak to Kitson. Waid made it sound as though his avoidance of it has been almost subconscious, but Wacker pointed out the set-up of Princess Projectra as being an exception.

Waid commented his first time writing Legion did not go so well because they were too beholden to the old stories. One post-reboot thing he particularly disliked was that they used a silly villain with a retarded name (Starfinger) just because they felt like they had to because the old Legion fought him around then.

Wacker said he loves that just because Waid loves and know all the old stories, he does not hold them precious. He doesn’t worry about change as some older creators do.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Waid makes it sound like Barry decides what characters are to be used.
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, it looks like we'll have to change Barry's mind. [Big Grin]

And I hold all Legion stories precious (look at this site people) and wish other creators did as well. [sigh]

And Lash's ideas sure do get around. [Smile]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Even though I agree that Starfinger is a lame villain, I'm not sure how to take that comment. I'd rather they use Starfinger, and figure out some way to make it cool, rather than just dump the character completely. If he's saying that the problem is that they included Starfinger because they felt obligated to but without really having an interesting idea for how to do him, I'd agree.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Just to let you know, this LMB author will always honor and respect the classic LMB villain, Middlefinger.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ha that's hillarious! Ben Ebert is my best comicbook friend and we were at the Waid panel together. I wrote some of the same stuff down but I think I left the paper in my other bag. I kept trying to figure out who was a Legionworlder (didn't see Semi and didn't know what others looked like). I'll give my account of the Waid panel and stuff from my conversation with him at DC when I get home...
From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
The biggest problem with Legion villains is, once you get past the Time Trapper and Mordru, they're pretty quaint and forgettable... or their an entire race, like the Khunds or Dominion. We need some fresh blood in the LSH rogues gallery.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I agree that we definately need some fresh blood in the LSH rogues gallery.

I'm very fond of a lot of past villains too, but agree that there is more than a fair share of forgettable ones.

Mordru is my favorite though, and hope he shows his head eventually.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
A lot of the classic Legion villains have been really watered down in recent years (*ahem* the Fatal Five *ahem*), so I'd like to see them re-established. And I think there's villains with quite a bit of untapped potential (*ahem* Nardo *ahem*). But I do think there's a definite need for interesting new bad guys.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think that the LSV are that forgettable - they could be re-established to be a greater threat to the LSH, if written well.
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.