Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » CRISIS in LSH FANDOM! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: CRISIS in LSH FANDOM!
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Slogans!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

The ACTION Faction!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Try a new venture, read ADVENTURE!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

(hmmm... that one was kinda lame...)

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Asking how to unite Legion fandom is sort of like asking, 'If the President of Arbro falls down in Weisinger Plaza and Antenna Lad's not there to hear him . . . "
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Zibarro fans are stupid! The Legion rocks!
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a fan of too many diferent eras, but right now 80s LSH seems like a breath of fresh air.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
GIFFBAUM! Soothes What Ayl(a)'s You!

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Long Live the Legions! All of 'em.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

I love a legion of Legions!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Poor LSH fans. Is any other comic book franchise fanbase as split, divided, quartered even, more than LSH?

We have preboot fans, ADV-era only fans, 5YG fans, Reboot fans, 3boot fans, Tooniverse fans, and fans who have stuck with it through ALL the eras/versions/incarnations.

Isn't there some way to unite us all?

Well, here's my idea. Of course, it's only step 1.
I just finished reading Matthew's "Legion Manifesto," to which he has linked, above. And, I must say, I agree with him wholeheartedly when he defines the Legion Question and the Legion Problem. However, I'm not certain about his Legion Answer, which would have three or more versions of the Legion running simultaneously, but not all of them would receive their own titles. According to Matthew, there would be only one primary Legion (not necessarily the threeboot version) and the rest would appear as guests, in crossovers, or possibly anthology titles.

As wonderful as all that sounds, it, too, would never satisfy all (or even most) of Legion fandom. Fans of whichever versions of the Legion are not chosen to be "official" (or perhaps "dominant" is a better word) version would not be satisfied with *their* Legion appearing on less than a regular basis.

Analogies were drawn on Matthew's website between his idea and the JSA of the '60s and '70s, who were confined to guest appearances in JLA and other comics until ALL-STAR COMICS was revived, circa 1976. There was even a suggestion (if I read it correctly) that the JLA could be viewed as a "reboot" of the JSA (i.e., the former replaced the latter). But the JSA and the JLA were always viewed as distinct entities, whatever their similarities. As such, no one thought of the JLA as the "official" or "dominant" version of the team.

So, although fans of the JSA had to wait some 13 years after the team's Silver Age revival for an ongoing series, there was no thought that they had to make do with some other version of the JSA. This would be quite different with the Legion, if you have only one "dominant" version appearing on a regular basis. If fans of Legion 247 have to wait months (or years) to read their adventures, we'd be back to square one. It would be like having civil unions instead of marriage, where certain people are entitled to some rights, but not all of them, and are therefore treated as second-class citizens.

Matthew's idea is at least the start of a discussion, though (as he acknowledges), and I don't have a better solution. I don't think it's truly possible to rally all of the Legion's fans behind one single version of the group (a situation DC itself has created, whether willingly or not). But, as Star Trek fans are seldom united in what elements of that franchise should be canon, perhaps its a self-defeating question. If DC were to tell good stories in *any* version of the Legion (yes, even the threeboot), I think I would slowly come around to accept it, as I did with the reboot.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well said Greg. There is no answer, in my mind, for a way to unite Legion fans. I think that's why we are the fans we are though. Loud, occasionally obnoxious and always insulted by fans of those "other" comics. But I think that's what makes us, and the Legion, so unique. We each have a version we love most and will claim to not support others but if DC would just tell a decent story and let it go without thought of how the 21st Century should affect the 31st or not, we'd have a great book on our hands.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Unfortunately, DC seems to have largely abandoned the practice of telling good stories and replaced it with epic crossover tie-ins and games of "guess-what-the-continuity-is-this-week".

I used to think an All-Star Legion title held a lot of promise, but DC's bungled that line so badly I'm not putting much faith in it.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
The way to unite diverse groups is to find a common enemy...

Lori Morning?

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
Hey, we should have badges! Any badge designers out there?

Hell yeah--put me down for a "Weasley is our King!"

What? That's not relevant? [Confused]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.