Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Pre-Crisis: Who among the Legionnaires were Superboy's best Friends? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pre-Crisis: Who among the Legionnaires were Superboy's best Friends?
Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life   Email Beyonder-Prime, Champion of Life         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi. I thought it's time for another Superboy-related thread. Besides, this is a topic which became important to me at the climax of the Death of Superboy Saga, when they buried Kal-El.

Just about every Legionnaire was friends with Superboy-- but who were his best friends?

Let's make a game of it. But if we'd pick just 5 friends, it'd be easy.

Instead, pick the the 8 people you believe cared the most for Kal-El during the Silver and Bronze Ages.
This means we're ignoring any character dynamics after Superboy and the Legion returned to the 30th Century, after they beat off the false Time Trapper in Smallville. For obvious reasons, I didn't include Supergirl in this poll.

After you picked your 8 Pals via the Poll, please return to this Thread, and rank them from 1 ("Best Friend") to 8, and give a short reasoning next to each friend, why you think he's ranking there.

I'll post the reasoning for my choices later on...

Polling is not enabled in this forum. This poll is inactive.

Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
1 Mon-El - Kal's big brother
2 Ultra Boy - the big three were always closest
3/4/5 Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy - The three founders were Kal's first Legion friends
6 Sun Boy - Lightning Lad's friend and strong willed guy
7 Star Boy - right back to meeting Lana Lang
8 Luornu - one way strong friendship not reciprocated by Superboy

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asteroid Al
The future was once so hopeful...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asteroid Al   Email Asteroid Al         Edit/Delete Post     
I always thought that Superboy would become friends with Karate Kid simply because Val was willing to fight him to prove his worth.
From: New Hong Kong | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Mon-El: Was definitely his best friend in the Legion.
2. Luornu: She had a crush on him at one point.
3. Ultraboy: Looked up to him
4. Saturn Girl: She spent so much time messing around in his head they would have to be close.
5. Toss up...either Brainiac 5 or Karate Kid. Brainiac 5 because he was close to his cousin and Karate Kid because I do think he respected Karate Kid. And Karate Kid didn't have just one memorable moment against Supes, he had 2, the moment in EarthWar where Superboy was being mind controlled and Val restrained him.

I really hope somehow the real Val comes back...I really don't like the logic behind killing him because he has no Superpowers...especially since they turned right around and replaced him with Myg.

Better hope Giffen doesn't ever become the regular Batman writer or he will kill off one of DC's icons....because he doesn't have Superpowers.

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Acid Digestion Lad
Legion hopeful

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Acid Digestion Lad   Email Acid Digestion Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Ya know I'm agreeing with you Superboy. Lar, Lu, Jo and then prolly Garth and Rokk then Imra would be my additions. Would Brin count as well as like maybe Tinya?
From: Bismoll, baby! Yeah!! | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
3/4/5 Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy - The three founders were Kal's first Legion friends
6 Brainy - the only other member with a super brain (besides Supergirl who wasn't included and Mon-El who I listed above), Supes defends him in Adv. 341, shown playing games together in Adv. 342, Supes calls Brainy "Pal" in Adv. 350, Supes helped throw Brainy's birthday party, Adv. 378
7 Karate Kid - KK got in on Supe's recommendation; KK gave him a black belt as a gift in Adv 350 (educated speculation); Shown hanging out and sparring in Adv. 368; Supes comes to see KK work out in Adv. 373
8 Luornu - Superboy eulogizes her in Adv. 341; Her crush on him caused her to position herself in his corner as much as possible: Adv. 348, 350, 360, 369, 370, etc.

Great topic, by the way.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
6 Brainy - the only other member with a super brain (besides Supergirl who wasn't included and Mon-El who I listed above), Supes defends him in Adv. 341, shown playing games together in Adv. 342, Supes calls Brainy "Pal" in Adv. 350, Supes helped throw Brainy's birthday party, Adv. 378
7 Karate Kid - KK got in on Supe's recommendation; KK gave him a black belt as a gift in Adv 350 (educated speculation); Shown hanging out and sparring in Adv. 368; Supes comes to see KK work out in Adv. 373
8 Luornu - Superboy eulogizes her in Adv. 341; Her crush on him caused her to position herself in his corner as much as possible: Adv. 348, 350, 360, 369, 370, etc.

Great topic, by the way.

My list is almost the same as yours jim,except for 7 and 8.
I had.

7. Wildfire - The super rivalry between Kal and Drake went on for quite a while,but after the Omega incident they seemed to have a deep respect for each other.

8.Phantom Girl - The Reflecto - Ultra Boy/Superboy story comes to mind,and later in LSH #300 I remember Tinya welcoming Kal to the 30th century with a hug and a kiss.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Well gee, it has to be Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad, they did afterall teach him truth, justice and the american way.

Small town farm boy from small town farm family.

I'm thinking

Cham (emerging from shyness)

ME Lad (super burping, every teen's fantasy)

P-Girl (the original non-b one, a sweet small town, leave for the big city type)

all off camera of course.

Mon-el I see more of as a big brother, not best friend and same U-Boy, a brotherly thing.

Like all teen boys, he has a poster of Dream Girl in his bedroom, behind the door where Ma Kent wouldn't see. Underneath his mattress, tractor magazines from Wynyth.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Founders plus his fellow super-boys, Mon-el and Ultra Boy plus villain-descendant Brainy are the easy calls.

There's no doubt that Luornu would've felt closest to Clark, but it wasn't reciprocated.

I almost chose Dawnstar because of that fast powerhouse in front of the other Legionnaires thing...

Karate Kid's a good choice, though I can't really recall them together off the top of my head.

I chose Star Boy, mainly because of Superboy's defense of Thom at his trial.

Last? I toyed with what *should* have been a connection-- the 'last son' legacy he shared with Element Lad. But not much was ever really made of that in the book (part of me thinks that's a good thing, the other part would've liked a big ol' pity party for two).

So, I chose Bouncing Boy. 'Cause Clark admired the morale-boosting efforts Chuck made and because of Clark's staunch support of those with 'useless', 'funny' powers (not that I think Chuck's power is really described by those words, but they ofter are applied to him.)

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting question. To me, it depends on how one defines friendship. Kal, as Beyonder-Prime notes, was friendly with everyone, and everyone looked up to him as much as they regarded him as one of the guys. But was there anyone he was particularly close to in terms of hanging out with, sharing thoughts and feelings, or having common interests?

BB makes a valid point that Mon-El was a "big brother" figure more than a friend. Lu had an unrequited crush on Superboy; she loved him, but clearly couldn't confide in him.

I'll have to think about this some more before I vote.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I only picked five. I also went based more on which Superboy would pick for his best friends.

1) Mon-el - Thought he was his brother. Felt bad for giving him lead poisoning

2) Lightning Lad - As one of the first Legionnaires to met him. LL, does have a more adventurous spirirt that Superboy would be drawn to. Plus the initials help.

3) Cosmic Boy - As being one of the first to met with Superboy.

4) Saturn Girl - Again one of the first to met Superboy. I put Saturn Girl last of the three because Superboy always was a little nervous around the oposite sex. However, SG's no nonsense attitude and not acting all girly would make her the first female he would feel comfortable around.

5) Ultra Boy - Had spent sometime in Smallville where Clark got to know him.

After voting, I thought of Star Boy (because of the solo story with Lana)

I dismissed Brainiac 5 because I think Brainy focused more attention on Supergirl than Superboy and that would not make for best friend status. After reading other people's comments, I woould also add Karate Kid.

Any side bets on which legionnaires get no votes?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

I almost voted for Star Boy instead of Duo Damsel, based on the Lana story and the trial. Plus Superboy vouched for Thom to replace him in Adv. 350. But Beyonder phrased his question as "people you believe cared the most for Kal-El," as opposed to "people Kal-El cared for the most," which swayed my vote to Duo Damsel.

--------------------

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Call me dense, but why wasn't Supergirl included? Because she was Kal's cousin? Or because she rarely interacted with his teen self?

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
But Beyonder phrased his question as "people you believe cared the most for Kal-El," as opposed to "people Kal-El cared for the most," which swayed my vote to Duo Damsel.

I'm glad you pointed this out, Jim, as it makes my choices a little clearer. However, I can think of only two Legionnaires who demonstrated a particular care of Kal-El: Mon-El (again, the big brother relationship) and Lu (the unrequited love).

It's tempting to put Ultra Boy and Star Boy in this category since they shared "solo" adventures with Superboy when they first joined the Legion, and also because Superboy defended Thom at his trial. But these stories showed the Legionnaires doing what they needed to do in particular circumstances; I don't think they imply any special friendship.

(And in Thom's case, ADV. 342 and 350 may imply Kal's regard for Thom, but they don't really say much about the reverse.)

It's also tempting to vote for Rokk, Imra, and Garth since they were the first Legionnaires Kal met. But I don't recall any other stories which showed or implied a particular connection with any of them. (Although Supergirl once tried to play matchmaker between Superman and Saturn Woman . . .)

Another possibility is Element Lad, who shared with Kal the devastating experience of coming from doomed worlds. But I don't recall them ever bonding for that reason or any other.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Mon-El-He was the most powerful, and he and Supes were pals because only they knew what it was like to be a guy with such power.

2. Ultra-Boy-About the same as above-respected his power and understood his place as the Legion's inspiration.

3. Saturn Girl-Granted it was her job as the Legion's telepath, but she cared for him as she had to erase his memories in LSH #259.

4. Brainiac 5- Knew that he too was very intelligent (though not 12th level), and respected his place in Legion lore.

5.Shadow Lass-As Mon's girlfriend, she was almost a sister-in-law.

6. Duo Damsel/Triplicate Girl. Wasn't she the one at his death who said "I loved him, you know."

7. Cosmic Boy- The first leader knew the value of a friend and a powerful ally.

8. LL-The last of the original three-he respceted Supes' value to the team and his friendship.

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.