Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Museum of Legion Arts: The Timberwolf Wing (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Museum of Legion Arts: The Timberwolf Wing
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I've got this "thing" for sexy lips, Dean. Your characters' lips stand side-by-side with Mike Allred's as sexiest!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you, Lash.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I suppose I can't let the spotlight on my fave Legionnaire pass by without offering something. This is an extract from a story that I have been messing around with forever. (I actually had to work this part over, since I had only worked out some of the dialogue til today.)

It's sort of a flashback ca. the Bates/Cockrum era, using the TMK continuity. Brin, Ayla, Garth and Imra are on vacation on Winath, at the Ranzz family farm and the guys are camping out.

The campfire was a welcome source of warmth against the cooling Winathian evening. For Garth, the fire was a nostalgic reminder of the days when he and Ayla frequently camped out on the Ranzz family farmstead. Sometimes Mekt joined them, but not often. For Brin, the fire was a strange sight. On Zuun the few native trees which remained were scarce and the idea of burning them would have struck Brin as sacrilegious. His mother had tried hard to change things but people like his father had turned a deaf ear.

Garth turned to the quiet young man. “Brin, it’s funny. You’ve been with my sister for a while now, but we’ve never really gotten to be friends. I guess now I wish I had.” Brin mirrored Garth’s movement, facing him over the fire. “Really? We just travel in different crowds. No big deal. That’s how the Legion is.” Garth’s face registered some surprise. “What do you mean? We’re all on the same team, right?”

Brin showed a small smile at Garth’s slight naiveté. “Yeah, but face it. Your part of the A-list. Me, I don’t want the spotlight like that.” Garth looked a little hurt. “Grife, it’s not like I’m Dream Girl or something. I don’t go looking for glory.” Brin’s smile broadened. “No, you just wear it well. Nothing to be ashamed of.”

Garth relaxed, feeling pleased at his teammates compliment. There was a pause, the quiet punctuated by the crackling of the fire. After the moment paused, Garth reflected, “Well, it’s not like we don’t have anything in common.” Brin’s eyebrow arched slightly. “What do you mean?”

Garth pondered. “Well, we’re both orphans now. We both love the outdoors. We, uh…” Brin gave a slight laugh and added, “Huh. We both “died” too.” Garth chuckled at the thought, both serious yet ridiculous. “Yeah, that too. Of course, I really was dead.” “Don’t rub it in!” Brin replied, then added more seriously, “What was it like for you when you came back?”

Garth stared off into the distance. “It was weird. I didn’t remember things from before very well unless I thought really hard. Imra helped me out a lot with it. Dating a telepath has its rewards. We really got a lot closer when I came back. It’s like I had to die to get her to let me past her guard. Everyone made such a big deal when I came back. No one on the team had died before that. Plus, you know, Ayla had joined while I was “gone.” It helped having her around too. Separation is hard on Winathians, and we’d been apart for a long time. I guess in a funny way, things were better for me after I’d died. What about you?”

Brin grimaced. “I don’t know. Everyone was glad I was back I guess. But then having that sprock Tyr mess with my head. Making me try to assassinate the President. It made me so mad, you know. I’m sick of being manipulated like that.” Garth felt a pang of sympathy, remembering how he’d been similarly used by Lars Hanscom. Something else the two young men had in common. Brin continued, “I guess I feel more on the outside than I did before. Even with Ayla, things seem different now.” Garth now turned back to face him. “What do you mean?”

A sigh escaped from Brin. He was not particularly used to these kinds of conversations, much less with someone who he had never really been friends with. “When we’re apart, I worry. Like she’ll never come back to me. And when we’re together it’s not much better. It’s like she’s trying too hard to please me. Like she’s making up for something.” Brin paused, swallowed nervously. “Garth, let me ask you. When I was gone, was there anyone else?”

Garth put his hands up in protest. “No, no, there was nothing like that that I know of. She spent a lot of the time with Imra and me, that’s about all. She was worried sick at first. Then when it looked like you didn’t make it… it was pretty bad going. We did what we could for her of course.”

Brin could not keep the obvious look of relief from his face. “I’m glad. I didn’t really think so, but you know…” Garth reached across, put his hand on Brin’s shoulder in a gesture of reassurance. “I don’t think you need to worry about Ayla. You’re the only one that she loves.”

Brin sat up straighter, feeling apprehensive after his uncharacteristic show of vulnerability. The conversation lapsed once again. He stood up. “The fire’s getting low. I think I’ll go find some more wood. I’ll be back.” As he walked away from the clearing, he stopped and turned. “Thanks Garth.” From where he sat, Garth couldn’t quite make out Brin’s expression, but he figured he could guess it. He knew that he would honor Brin’s confidences, staring into the fire and thinking about Brin. He certainly wouldn’t be able to only think of him as his sister’s boyfriend anymore.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey Eater Lad:
Who do you think would win Gary, your X-Men 'teammate' or the Legion lycanthrope?

I'm a Legion Fan, first and foremost (otherwise this'd be X-Mansion.net [Big Grin] ), so of course Brin wins. He came first afterall. The real Wolverine is a member of the Strangers and an enemy of Outsider (and future Legionnaire) Nightcrawler, in my universe at least.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Once again, great work, all.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
 -

[ May 07, 2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3003 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valor the M'Onell
Anything but a marvel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valor the M'Onell   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
that's funny "man"
From: Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
Great picture, Drake! [LOL]

[ May 08, 2004, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: capt._dallas ]

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Along with Dean's well-shaped contributions (and those of others), I can't resist pulling this one up, one of his more finely-polished sketches ...

-

"I" also talked about related developments, shall we say, nudge nudge, in an interview with Marella Tao.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freekdkid
Space Oddity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freekdkid   Email freekdkid         Edit/Delete Post     
Hello everyone. Here's a pic I posted to the LMBP group awhile back.

-

--------------------
Do what you do when your doin' it like your doin' it for tv!

From: Charlotte | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, everytime I turn around this thread is packed with more great stuff!

Freakdkid, Drake and Dean's pics are great too!

And I love your story Matlock!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
And to make a quick addition:

"The Two Paths of Brin"

Walking alone gives him no fear
His company, he's not always willing to share
He goes his own way, that much is clear
He walks alone as the Lone Wolf Legionnaire

Although he comes across as distant and cold
He's proven he's loyal, courageous and bold
As a teammate he's there through thick and thin
Lone Wolf he may be, but a true friend is Brin

Two paths he walks, as hard as that may be
But those paths are his own; he makes his own desiny

[ May 18, 2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freekdkid
Space Oddity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freekdkid   Email freekdkid         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Cobalt. Also, here's a sketch I got from Jason Pearson ages ago at HeroesCon.

-

--------------------
Do what you do when your doin' it like your doin' it for tv!

From: Charlotte | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
There are so many great peices on show here, fab art, poignant stories, comedy, tragedy and the deepest respect for everyone's favourite feral legionnarie.

And it's great!

And I keep thinking I've yet to add to it!

And everytime I've looked in here there's been more and more on display. Reminding me that I've still to write something for here.

And I have still to rustle up something for it!

But that's not the whole story.

And if there's one thing I like it's a long story!

There's this idea rattling around in my head about writing a peice about Brin's withdrawal symptoms and how Alya helped, but it's too mushy for me, lots of "lightening the weight from his shoulders" type of comments you know. Pretty obvious stuff really. I started it and couldn't face it the second night. The opening line was "Alya had learned to hide her emotions at times like these as, like all animals Brin could smell it on her!"

Tosh!

Another idea I had was that an ex-girlfriend turns up and discusses his sex life with Alya - they'd compare notes and I was left with either he's always been an animal in bed or he was a totally dull lover before and now he's a wild thang [Big Grin] I was going to use lots of wolf imagery, howling at the moon was the title I had planned on.

There ws a third choice but it was my least favourite. It was going to be an action peice were brin rescued the damsel in distress by manfully defeating the robot guard, facing an Indianna Jones type puzzle cave and deciding to just go for it and charge on ahead. And after rescuing the girl he'd leave with only a chaste kiss as his heros reward.

Anyone who knows me knows that'll never happen.

It would have to be a full on tongues, wandering hands, ripping bodices and leotards type ending. And I couldn't bring myself to do that. I didn't want to write that about poor Brin Londo. Not Fuzzball. And that was the problem you see, the first two are about pre-boot Brin, I really like him! The last story is about the new Brin and while he's alright it isn't the character I cared for.

And whilst on the current booted Brin - "think fast!" as a catch phrase? Oh dear god please punish the writers now with plague and hailstones please!!

So in the end there's nothing from me but these ideas. Not as great as the effort and skill on display from everyone else but I did try.

and no-one else has, I believe, in the illustrious history of Legion World entered an essay on "Why The Work Ain't Been Done" as a peice for the gallery.

[Big Grin]

hope you enjoyed it!
Bxx

<grade D - must try harder!>

[ May 21, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.