Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Legion of Camelot (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: Legion of Camelot
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
One Hundred and Sixty

The winds at sea could still be a bit brisk, even though the days were approaching their lengths.

Even so, James found the chill refreshing; it helped him think. The relatively flat coasts of eastern Britain amazed him - how different they stood to the rocky, craggy costs he'd grown up alongside on the Eiru Sea coast.

No, these smooth coasts were a different animal, and no Ulster fishers nor tradesmen - nor even raiders would trouble his passage. He feared them not - he'd fought a good number of them single-handedly - but now he had valuable information to relay.

Angtough.

The thought still lingers with him. He clenched the medallion in his fist, partly to make certain it had not vanished like faerie magic - and part out of anger.

How deep does this evil take root? he asked himself, knowing he had not the answer.

Bad enough to be a raider, looting, pillaging and murdering. Bad enough indeed. But this...

He look down at the medallion, and ran his finders along its three sides. He'd seen it before. I pray thee, Laoraighll, have an explanation I can believe.

[ December 26, 2005, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

notes 149-159:
149-150: I hadn't intro'd a counterpart for Chief Wilson, and the name didn't fit anyway, so Zendak gets double-duty for identity theft purposes. Round one with Glorith - a draw, as it should be.
151: With so many characters, it's hard to get to each, so it'll probably be a while before we get back to poor Zoe again. Plus, I wanted a more benign incarnation of the goddess to show up once in a while, not just the Cailleach, who's guaranteed plenty of screen time.
152: Joseph of Arimathea's church undermining Rome's legitimacy wasn't my invention, but it fits nicely. While previously being reluctant about fitting the Terminus Trapper in, it's working nicely.
153: They're on Anglesey, or Mona, as it was known in Roman times. Just off the northwestern shore of Wales.
154: I have no idea how early elephants were brought to Britain, but I've heard of them brought to Europe (and not just by Hannibal) before medieval times.
155: Had to edit "Eboracum" out and "Lindum" in. Got me cities confused! And further along, I managed not to write, "Let's not go there. It is a silly place."
156: La Cote Mal Taile? maybe, but not entirely.
157: Revolt of the Girl Legionnaires!
158: can't have androids, can I?
159: Everyone wants Garth in Cumbria... MZB fans can see I'm borrowing a little here, but it works too well with threads that come afterward not to use it.

[ December 26, 2005, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Re: 154 - first elephant brought to Britain 43 A.D. by Claudius, according to Wikipedia. Those crazy Romans. (It piqued my curiosity, as well as Querl's....) Love this sprawling great story, Kent!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Ditto what FC said, I love this too Kent. You've created a land populated with fascinating characters that are funny, whimsical, dark and fabulous!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
Kent,

No matter how long I find myself staying away from LW, It's a sure bet that when I return, and I always return, this story is one of the first threads I visit. I am always amazed by your skill and inventiveness as you seamlessly intwine the Arthurian legend with The LSH.

Bravo! and just to go all Harbi on you...

MORE! MORE! MORE!

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Thanks all! I apologize; it's getting harder and harder to find time to write.
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

One Hundred and Sixty-one

"So. You've heard of this... Apis before?" Rokk asked skeptically.

"Yes, my liege. In Alexandria, there are still those who keep the old ways. They have designated themselves the keeper of a 'sacred bull,' the Apis, a living symbol of three gods: Ptah, Amon and Osiris. They keep only one Apis bull alive at time, and mark it with a scarab on its tongue, a vulture on its back, a crescent moon on its right flank - and a white triangle on its forehead," replied the newcomer.

James nodded, looking at the symbol the guest had drawn. "It looks remarkably like... this," he held out the medallion.

The newcomer made gestures in the shape of a cross. "Despite Eiru's conversion, some snakes of paganism remain," he said scornfully.

L'ile snorted. "Has Rome not borrowed or co-opted anything not nailed down? Mix not your metaphors - we Druidic snakes are less venomous than some of Rome's devout."

Rokk saw a feud to avoid. "L'ile. Sir Geraint. Both of you would do well to remember that all faiths are protected in my realm."

"Forgive me," said the guest. "It seems unusual to me, having spent so long in Italia, that a civilized kingdom is not -- but again I go to far. Again, my apologies."

Querl, oblivious to the exchange, stood scrutinizing the drawings and medallion. He wished not to believe any ill of Laoraighll, but there were questions to be asked before she should be confronted.

"The medallion is clearly of Gaelic design," he observed. "Hardly an Egyptian tradition."

"That is true, but forget not that many Irish scholars have been traveling throughout the civilized world. It is not unreasonable to believe some have been to Alexandria. I myself have been throughout the East."

"Aye. And you probably know it better than you do your own Cornwall - let alone Eiru," L'ile added.

Rokk was growing annoyed. "As you posit, a group of Ulstermen, following an Egyptian cult, slaughtered the Pict village of Angtough as a sacrifice to a bull-god, and carry about medallions bragging of the deed. And I am expected to accuse a fine warrior-woman of such a deed with only jewelry and supposition as proof?"

Seeing the king's anger, James and Geraint backed away.

"My liege, please..." began Geraint.

"This requires answers," James said, trying to sound as confident as he'd felt walking in.

"It does require answers," Querl sighed. Geraint isn't telling you everything."

"What?"

"My good sir-"

"Let me continue. Yes, the bull is a symbol of fertility in many lands. The Cult of Mithras - long popular among the soldiers of Rome - also uses the bull, as a symbol of sacrifice and renewal.

"Many were the Irish who accepted Rome's coin to serve in the legions. Perhaps they came home as Mithraens - a warrior cult seeking land of its own?" Querl concluded.

"Maybe that's the way of the world now, raid your neighbors, take their land. But again, I see no connection with Laoraighll - even following a bull-cult doesn't make you a slaughterer any more than being a Christian makes you as vile as Vidar," L'ile replied.

Rokk saw Geraint wince at the comment on Vidar. So our old 'friend' has been making friends in the south. Maybe we erred in sending him so.

"But Berach found the same medallion at Roxxius' lair," James blurted.

"Summon Ossian," the king said to Reep. "If this 'white triangle' is widespread in Eiru, he will know." He was reluctant to ban any faith, but whether an involuntary sacrifice or sheer genocidal colonization, the Picts were his subjects, too.

[ December 26, 2005, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

One Hundred and Sixty-two

"Are you sure this is the right way?"

"Of course," Querl scoffed at the presumption of error.

Their companion Gillem grunted in disbelieve - or disapproval. One could never be too sure with Gillem, the serving-man who tended to a supply cart that the three companions were accompanying. An old, hunched man, he steered the cart's horse tem like he had a grudge against them - and against the road itself.

"Our Greek lad is never wrong. Except for the one time he thought he was wrong. But of course, he wasn't," smirked Loomius.

Despite Querl's outer snarl, Ayla sensed that Querl had warmed to the craftsman. Indeed, they had evolved an unlikely friendship.

She smiled at the jesting, but internally was still disappointed. She and Querl had tracked down the were-wolf, who had turned out to be the blacksmith Brin - the "Kartharn" persona having been fictitious.

They had invited him back to court - what's one more noble freak amongst the many? But no, he'd rejected them.

Querl wasn't very bothered, but Ayla... her heart had been touched by the blacksmith who defends the small hamlet that would just assume see him skinned, if they knew - and if they had the courage.

The ride back to Londinium had seemed a long one, even the longer to find Loomius ready to lead them to the new fortress.

The smell of the eastern sea was wafting across the fields, and the path meandered to avoid the salt marshes that pock-marked the seacoast.

And rising over one last hill, they faced the city of Camulodunum - and the new fortress rising before it, already closer to completion than any of them had guessed.

A sea of multi-coloured pavilions surrounded the walls, with banners and crests of seemingly all Britain - and beyond - present.

Beyond, a larger tent city with marketplaces sprawled, though not as big as that from coronation last year.

But the companions' eyes returned to the massive stone-scape at the centre of the vista.

"It's... amazing," Ayla said. "What is it called again?"

"Camelot, my lady," Loomius beamed with pride.

"Camelot," Ayla tasted the word as she said it.

"Camelot," even Querl smiled in approval.

"It's only a model," blurted Gillem.

"What say you?" Loomius asked.

"I... I know not why I said that," said Gillem. "Let's not go there. It is a silly place."

Ignoring the daft comments, they continued their ride, Ayla bursting into a gallop to regroup with her fellow knights, who already were beginning practice jousts a full week before the festivals would begin in earnest.

The row of pavilions bore each knight's crests, and she rode up and down the rows looking for Garth's.

"Greetings, my sister," called a voice, but not Garth's.

"Mekt!" she greeted, dismounting. "It is good to see you, my brother and liege."

He laughed. "How must I beg thee to cease calling me such? Are we not kin?"

She embraced him. "Aye. But you are rightful king of Lesser Britain, are you not?"

"He is that and more," replied a woman emerging from Mekt's pavilion. A man who appeared like a pure-blooded Roman followed.

"My dear sister Ayla, may I present Queen Eva, formerly of Alemannia, and her husband Lavarrus of Venetia. Two very good friends of mine."

Ayla shivered involuntarily, but gathered herself to exchange greetings.

She trusts us not, Eva silently said to her consort.

Then we must have Mekt... show her the error of her heart, he replied.

[ December 26, 2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

One Hundred and Sixty-three

Brunor groomed the horse, grumbling to himself.

Back home in Elmet, I would be the knight with a squire of my own, the youth thought. Yet it will all be worth it.

"You do well, Brunus," Thom commended absently, not aware he had mangled the youth's name.

"Thank you," he replied. His sarcasm was so prevalent that everyone was beginning to assume it was just his normal speech pattern and/or his local accent.

"Hello...'kinsman,'" called a voice from outside the makeshift stables.

Brunor's heart skipped a beat. Had he been found out?

"Do I know you?" Thom asked.

"Forgive me; we have never met, as I have lived in Rome these past years. I am Geraint."

Brunor watched Thom's expression fall into a gape.

"Geraint!? I'd heard you- I mean-"

The man laughed. "Yes. Since I've come home, I hear nothing but tales of my various 'deaths' at the hands of the Visigoths... All of them are true, as you can see," he waived his arms wide, mockingly.

"You... certainly resemble your uncle," Thom managed.

"You remember him?" Geraint was surprised.

"Nay. Gorlois died before I was born. But his likeness remains in sculpted form, at Tintagel, our -- Well, your castle."

Geraint laughed. "Marcus has done well guarding Cornwall in my absence. If things work well, he may remain so."

Noticing Thom's relief, Brunor correctly surmised that the newcomer's claim to Cornwall's throne was better than Marcus.'

He also assumed what Thom did not appear to - that Geraint's make-peace held no sincerity at all. The man's mannerisms were too much like Brunor's father's when someone was about to be stabbed in the back.

"I would like to settle waters before they are stirred, however. Where is thy father?" Geraint asked Thom, who in turn led the visitor off, leaving his new squire unattended.

And how much would this Geraint offer to see his rival take a plunge during the jousts? he thought, polishing a saddle's leather straps.

"Hey Bad-Coat! How are you settling in?"

It was Tenzil, his well-meaning benefactor.

"Very well, sir. I-I can't thank you enough for getting me in here."

"Excellent. A word to the wise," he came closer. "Many young squires rush off at the first sign of a quest to prove themselves. King Rokk and his knights are less impressed with squires who leave duties unattended," he said, nodding toward the mostly-concealed sword in the hay bale.

He thinks the blade is for a quest! Mayhap I needn't have bothered hiding it? "I-I guess you're right," he replied, feigning an embarrassed smile.

Geraint is not the only one plotting back-stabbing, he thought, considering the possible approaches to the hall where the knights would be drinking later.

Drink well, Sir Garth. Drink well indeed.

[ December 26, 2005, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

One Hundred and Sixty-four

L'ile suddenly realized that he missed Beren.

The elder Druid was not one for cities, it was true, but the lad from the north isle wished to show his mentor how much care and work was going into the defense of Britain.
But he knew the old man's remaining years were growing fewer, and soon he would be going on to the Summer Country.

It was a bright, cloudless sunny day - again; the kind Britain counts on one, maybe two hands all season long.

L'ile stood alone, atop the western tower, now structurally complete. Below him, the ladies and servants were abuzz around the wooden hall, readying for the midsummer feast. The walls were sound, but Camelot was but a shell - where towers and castle would stand were but foundations and temporary pavilions.

They say Rome was not built in a year, either. Or was that day?

He sighed. Even Reep was busy tending to scouts and messengers. There was no one to talk strategy with.

It's too quiet, he realized. Few are the Khunds - again, nor are Saraid or Tarik causing trouble. Can the world be so easily made to peace? Nay, I say it cannot.

The breeze cascading in from the sea was refreshing, but something did not set well with James' talk of a "white triangle" conspiracy was part of it. James was wrong - he'd have heard of it if it existed - but there was something disturbing.

Egypt.

L'ile suddenly remembered what The Hunter had taught him, all those years ago.

Not a triangle... a pyramid. One side of those great temples.

It was a bright, cloudless sunny day, but it suddenly became very cold.

[ December 26, 2005, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

One Hundred and Sixty-five

"Are you happy?"

"Yes. Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" Tinya blushed. They strolled through the fair, surrounded by merchants hawking fine cloths and fresh herbs and fruits.

MacKell stood silently, choosing his words carefully.

"Jonah... Gawaine... has become amongst my closest friends since my return. Truly he is a peer that any court in history would consider among the best of knights ever," he began, heart sinking as she beamed with pride.

"But... how do I say this?" he paused again. "If you were my... daughter, I might worry about his... less knightly aspects."

There. It's said, for good or for ill.

Tinya squeezed his hand. "Jonah is neither a eunuch nor a saint of the one-god, it is true. But our hearts are one, and he already treats me like his queen."

And will he do so when he sees young maidenhood elsewhere than your bed, he wanted to say but did not.

He felt a special attachment to Tinya since gaining his freedom, and these feelings had -to his surprise- become more paternalistic than amourous of late.

MacKell smiled. "I am being foolish. Heed not my words," he said, knowing she had anyway.

Looking for a distraction, he pointed up at the tower. "Someone should tell L'ile he does not well this day at remaining unseen!"

[ December 26, 2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

One Hundred and Sixty-six

"You say this King Pellam can help us?"

"Aye," replied Balin's companion. Sir Dodinel le Savage, leader of the renegade knights of Man - Lallor, in their tongue- was not one for plentiful words.

The six-knight attack on Glorith was foolish, Balin thought. He should have known better, but he was so outraged that the sorceress had ensnared his brother.

Perhaps it was her spells that led Balan to slay the Lady of the Lake? He had no answers. His fratricidal anger had ebbed since winter, but still his brother must face the judgment of King Rokk - and perhaps that of Avalon too.

While Dodinel's companions kept watch of Glorith's fleets, he and Balin were off to seek the magickal spear that a seer told them would defeat the sorceress queen.

The second prophesy, that Balin's second sword would slay the man he held the most dear, bothered him, but he hoped he could avoid a fatal duel with his brother. At least get him free of Glorith first, he thought.

Dodinel was a beastly man, who hunted with but a short dirk and ran through the woods like a wild animal chasing prey.

That he'd so quickly snared a doe was impressive enough - they had food enough to give to a woodland hermit as well.

Full from a good meal, Balin drifted off to sleep. They were within a day's ride of Pellam's castle, and Dodinel's keen senses would wake them should there be an intruder...

...Balin awoke at the sound of a shriek! A blade, a long sword that belonged to neither of them, was carving Dodinel up in a manner not dissimilar to Dodinel's carving of the doe - yet the blade had no one wielding it!

Glorith's magicks!

He sought to grab the sword away, but an unseen hand barred him - followed by an unseen shove, pushing Balin to the ground.

"L'ile? Pray tell me that isn't you!?" He drew his sword nonetheless.

With Dodinel's death rattle, the sword fell aside, and an unseen set of feet hastened away, thrashing through bush before vanishing under the uncluttered forest beyond.

[ December 26, 2005, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

One Hundred and Sixty-seven

Azura's entourage arrived virtually unnoticed, as she desired. Better to blend into the crowds and observe the court without the airs of diplomacy. There will be plenty of time for ceremony... later. She was not yet as visibly known as Kiwa was; she would use that as an advantage while it lasted.

A trio of Beren's Druids aided in erecting her pavilion, and would guard the tent from both the curious and the devious throughout the festivities.

Azura was content with this; she had but a single priestess along for service and assistance.

"All is in order, Thora?"

"Yes, my lady." The girl, a princess in her Iberian homeland, was a willful student. She decided Thora was too unruly to be left in Avalon - even under the senior priestesses' gaze.

The fair was routine enough, although there seemed to be more Iberian and Gallic goods than some of the northern markets she had been to of late. Perhaps our young king has restored the confidence of the sea trade, she mused.

With Thora in tow, they wandered the temporary streets of the encampment, conducting an informal survey of who was attending the first anniversary of Rokk's rule - or more accurately, his wedding to Imra.

Even without open eyes, the Christians view their king's rule as legitimate from his marriage to the matrilineal queen, she silently gloated, wondering why Kiwa kept Imra's parentage so secret - even from the queen herself.

They strolled by Picts, Irish, Cornish, Angles, and even Khunds in their journeys, witnessing bartering, singing, fighting, jestering, begging, bickering, politicking and even proselytizing.

"Do you take Iesous as your savior. Will you let him be your shepherd?" the young friar asked the old man.

"Oh, yes. G-God, yes, by my troth," the old man said, barely able to contain his weeping. He slowly stood, cautiously straightening his back, which cracked and creaked, as if straightening for the first time in decades.

The crowd murmured in approval and/or delight.

"What's happening? A charlatan 'healing' ritual?" Thora whispered.

Azura motioned or her to keep quiet. It's a time for observation, she thought.

"I did not heal that man. God did it," said the friar. "I knew not what to do, else trust Him to work his miracles." He paused to let his words soak in. "Each of our lives is like that," he kept turning to face different people. "Each of us have our own...miracles from God each and every day, if we know to look for them."

"You're well-fed, young and strong," shouted a woman worn beyond her years. "Easy words for a youth. But where is your god when my children die of pox? Where is your god when the crops are blighted? Answer me that!"

This may test his mettle, Azura smiled.

"My lady, I am sorry for the losses you feel. Yet rejoice! Your children are walking in paradise, and you will see them again in your time!"

"Will she see three years of lost crops, too?" a man jeered, prompting group laughter.

The friar accepted the jest. "Aye, maybe, in a fashion. It is not for us to know his plan," he turned to face the woman again, "Or know why we receive the obstacles and challenges we do. But they are our lot to bear anyway - and it's how we carry them that makes the difference in our lives."

With that, the friar made his impression, and the crowd began dispersing, wandering away or resuming smaller conversations.

The woman still glared at the friar. Azura moved closer.

The woman was speaking again. "You're still young. You don't know true hardship."

"I beg to differ, my lady. As a youth I saw my parents die. In the past year, my monastery - and all its brethren and servants - were wiped out by raiders. Only I lived. I have my share of pain, too - mayhap all of us but the kings and emperors do - any maybe them, too.

"I cannot give you what you've lost. And I see in your eyes that I'll probably never win you over to God's flock. But maybe you can find your own peace someday."

Only Azura noticed a slight glow of his hand directed at the woman's carrying basket.

She scowled and walked away.

"You speak well for a Christian priest," Azura told him.

"Thank you," his smile was warm. He didn't even flinch at Thora's cold stare.

"From your robes... are you from a nunnery?"

"Gods, no," the older priestess laughed. "I am Azura, Lady of the Lake, of Avalon. This is my aide Thora."

"Then I am pleased to make your acquaintance, my ladies. I am Jan, a newcomer to this isle. I have enjoyed Avalon's hospitality in my own hour of need, and the Josephites I've known have always spoken well of you."

"You were the priest Beren invited to Avalon last autumn. You helped rescue MacKell!" Azura, then Kiwa's senior priestess, hadn't recognized him from his more incognito garb of the time. "We called you 'Nameless.'"

Jan laughed. "That you did. I still hold Avalon and her ladies in the highest esteem for your hospitality and friendliness."

"Even though we're heathens?" Thora challenged.

"Especially that you are. We are all God's creatures, even if we have different ways of seeing Him. What use is God's love if not shared?"

Azura smiled. Our appreciation of the god's love is best at the summer bonfires, but I doubt we could celebrate that love, my fair friar?

The conversation was interrupted, however. a commotion rippled through the crowd, as word came of a stable boy who had just saved King Rokk's life!

[ December 26, 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

One Hundred and Sixty-eight

Jonah had begun the day with some friendly jousting. He'd actually beaten Garth - distracted by Ayla's arrival, he claimed. He lost to MacKell, fought Laoraighll to a draw, barely bested Thom, and handily took all other comers.

And Tinya cheered him on the whole time. Reflecting on the day, her smile still warmed him. It would have been a beautiful day to take some wine, fish and cheese, and vanish along the shore - but no.

As the warriors broke for a mid-day meal, he took to wandering among the merchants, looking for something special for Tinya. Their wedding day would be approaching in a few scant months, it was true - but on a day where Rokk and Guinevere would be the centre of all attention, he wanted something to show his fiancée that she was still his queen.

He hunted all the way through the main marketplace, and even two smaller ones, coming to the edge of a small forest he hadn't remembered seeing before.

I've ridden patrols all around these hills, and never have I seen this stand. Why does Reep let it stand so close to the fortress?

And seeing a glint of metal, a sword or axe, he entered the woods.

Is this some faerie wood, that moves about the land? Shall I step outside again, into December snows in Cymru?

The glint of metal receded, looking more like a man in armour, into the deeper woods. With reservation but not fear, he pursued.

Twenty minutes later, he was certain this was no mere thicket. The glint had stopped at a bridge over a stream, and turned to face him.

"Fiend!"

He struggled to contain a primal urge to charge his nemesis. No, he'd been that route before, more than once.

"Tinya is alive. I've foiled your villainy!" Jonah jeered. "I've no vengeance left to waste on you!" He lied, but it was time to put the boot on the other foot.

"You've failed in every effort you've ever made. The only thing you've ever done is distract me!" Jonah continued.

The Green Knight stood still, sword hand trembling only slightly.

"In fact, now that I know it's only you, I needn't have bothered." He turned to walk away. Taking a few steps, he turned one last time. "Be seeing you."

Jonah walked away, sword still in hand, waiting for the reflection of motion behind him on the blade.

It came.

Jonah whirled, ready to strike, but was knocked down from the side -- not the foe before him -- a footman's axe gashed his shoulder and upper arm, and struck a blow to his head.

He was unconscious before he hit the ground.

[ December 26, 2005, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

One Hundred and Sixty-nine

Morgause took delight in how the court ladies fawned over her fifth son.

"What is his name?" asked Jancel. "May I hold him?"

"Oh course," she smiled. "He is Medrod. The seers say he will be a great king."

"Hello, Medrod," Jancel smiled at the three-month-old.

Virginia and Siobhan gathered around as well. Virginia held a poultice to her arm, covering a bruise.

"You were the lady attacked by that vile dwarf?" Morgause asked, sympathetically.

"Girls? Don't you still have preparations to see to?" scolded Laurentia.

"We've been working for weeks," Virginia rebutted. "A few minutes to tend to a baby won't-"

"-Get things done. There'll be time for babies after the feasts."

Zendak's daughters rolled their eyes and resumed their tasks. Jancel handed little Medrod back to the queen of Lothian, or rather her wet-nurse.

"I'm sorry Queen Morgause, but we're well behind schedule," Luornu fretted. "This new hall doesn't at all match the lengths Reep-"

"-Say no more, child," Morgause beamed. "I apologize for interrupting. I was wondering if Guinevere was about?"

"She's downstairs, discussing matters with Reep and Tenzil - and Sir Lucan, who will be the royal butler."

Morgause thanked her and headed for the kitchen stairs. She smiled at Zendak's daughters, at hearing their amazement that she'd given birth at her age. They would do well to retain youth as long as I did, thought the woman who was Jonah's mother.

Downstairs, the kitchen staff hustled under Sir Lucan's command.

Reep and the high queen turned to her - with strangely sympathetic eyes. Morgause could not gage why-

Reep, meanwhile, looked none the happier to see the baby. Has Rokk told him? I'd be surprised, she thought.

Reep departed to let the queens talk.

"My dear kinswoman, I was so sorry to hear of that incident with Yder-"

"-Never mind that," the high queen interrupted "Have you not heard about Jonah?"

[ December 26, 2005, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  36  37  38   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.