Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Legion of Camelot (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: Legion of Camelot
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Sixty

Saihlough did tell Mysa. And Jonah, L'ile and Rokk.

And Rokk called L'ile, Reep and the four knights who went north together, to discuss the situation.

Between the crowds and the drink, few before had noticed Loomius' and Voxv's gift: a circular table, allowing all to face each other, letting all knights sit as equals. This table has a hard fit inside Ambrosius' hall. A further sign that I must build my own hall, Rokk thought, waiting for his knights to arrive.

But arrive they did, no worse the wear after two days' celebrations.

"Kings Belinant and Cradelmant of the Anglias have petitioned for an audience on the morrow.

"They intend to make Jonah and his fellowes look the liar, by posing Caradoc's brother Turquine in his stead, and use that as further leverage to either gain lands, or break the alliance," Rokk told them.

"But why?" asked James.

"The Angles, while less combative than the Khunds, no doubt want to expand further into central Britain.

"No doubt there are others seeking excuse to end the alliance," Dyrk offered.

"Aye. I can well see my father, now forced into peace with the Picts, to break out of truce and seize more lands," said Jonah.

"What if the four knights aren't here to call the Angles liars?" suggested L'ile.

A Vidar solution, thought Rokk. "I dislike postponing problems, L'ile. They tend to come back and haunt us."

Reep stepped in. "But it may buy us time. Rokk. While we track down the real Caradoc, the alliance is preserved long enough to squelch the opposition, by showing them to be the liars, not us!"

L'ile nodded. "Too many guests at the wedding were introduced to the false Caradoc. We can delay, until the next large gathering, be it the Christian Pentecost or Easter."

"You are an optimist, to hold them off that long," Rokk said. "Yule, perhaps. We cannot hope to delay beyond that."

Jonah stood. "You may find Caradoc, but he is an expert swordsman, and you must be ready for him. Stealth alone will not win the day."

"Agreed. I shall assign Tinya, who can recognize the true villain; Saihlough, who can speak with her; and Laoraighll to the team," Rokk proclaimed.

"Cousin? I'd rather-"

"-I know you would. But so, they, too would like you on this quest."

He walked over and put his hand on his kinsman's shoulder. "Sometimes the hardest time to be brave is to trust others to win the day."

"Now you four must leave today. You have to inspect the old roman forts on the south coasts, and drill the troops there," the king commanded.

"You will all start in Portus Magnus, where you may see Sir Garth and Sir Brandius off for Iberia. Thom and James proceed west from there, while Jonah and Dyrk start eastward."

Hearing no further questions, Rokk again stood. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to see my father off."

[ December 26, 2005, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

THE WORLD AND BEYOND

Interlude One: An Isle of Fire and Ice

The monk walked the rocky path from the abbey to the holding pens. It was time to harvest another lamb.

As he customarily did, he paused at the crest of the hill, where one could see a sweeping vista of the treeless inland plains to the left, and the Mountain of Fire to the right.

More than smoke, the mountain today was letting small bursts of fire escape.

"The devil-in-the-earth is again testing his chains," the old man concluded. Of his 100 years, 82 had been spent in this god-forsaken land, standing as the devil's keeper.

Most of those eight decades saw a bit of smoke, the occasional grumble, but rarely the spewing fire or molten waters - until the last two years.

Ever since the interloper Brendan, he thought, who claims to sail for God's glory, but not at the sacrifice of his own.

He would order the younger monks to again circle the massive peak, saying the blessings and honouring the shrines that keep the devil in check...

[ December 26, 2005, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Interlude Two: Roma

Vidar strolled through the streets, unmindful of the Germanic guards that still roamed the city.

Today is the day that my ordeals turn around, and I begin enacting god's justice, he thought. I am vindicated at last.

Despite his persecution by the powerful Senator Festus, his faith had been rewarded, and he was assigned as bishop of Altinum.

While Altinum was a small town, it was true, it got him out of Festus' eye, and it was not far from Venice, nor from the royal court at Ravenna, where he could build alliances and do God's will.

Senator Festus, beware thine Creator, he quietly gloated. He also sneered at Festus' cadre of bishops, who like young King Rokk, place the political above the Devine.

The Day of Judgment is coming, you heathens.

[ December 26, 2005, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Interlude Three: Toletum, Iberia

"It's like flying!"

Garth, no stranger to horses, was quite impressed with the breeds he found here.

Iaime was pleased. He'd taken a liking to the Breton lad.

"When I was a boy," he told Garth, "I would dream that I had a magic ring, with which I could fly. Now, I have finally bred a steed that satisfies my dreams."

"That you have," Garth agreed, dismounting.

The two men walked back to the young man's villa, where the shade was most welcoming. Garth was not used to such heat or intense sun, but it felt good, other than the way his exposed forehead and arms reddened and itched.

Iaime had no such problem, but had his servants fetch plant-leaves that relieve such conditions.

"Tell me, my friend. You are clearly a Moor, yet you carry an Irish surname. How came that to be?"

Iaime laughed. "Here in Iberia, we have people from all over the Roman world: the Africas, Palestine, Araby, the Balkani, Germania, and yes, the Isles of Britain. My people come from Eiru and Morroc."

His sister, Iasmin, arrived, leading the servants, who brought wine and citruses. "Our grandfather Cullen was an Irish mercenary, later a trader, who did well for Rome, and for Toletum," she said. "Does it seem strange to you, the mixing of races?"

"No, I suppose not. We just see so few of African stock in the Britains. The older knights tell is that there were many among Rome's soldiers, but who stayed and settled not. Seeing this clime, I understand better," he laughed.

Iaime laughed as well. "Yon maiden. She is of Cymru blood, as well as Araby, Roman and Moor," he pointed to the fields.

Garth was amazed! The girl was racing one of Iaime's prize stallions - and winning?!

"Who is she?" Garth marveled.

"She was named Gwenhwyfar, in the tradition of Cymru, but we call her Genni for short."

Just as well. The last thing I need is another Gwenhwyfar.

"So. You have seen my steeds' beauty and power. Shall we joust, and test its war-craft?"

[ December 26, 2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Interlude Four: Khundia's shores

Q'Bahl grimaced.

He'd rather be readying a major force to land upon Britannia’s shores. The Huns were at the eastern flanks, and there was nowhere to go but to sea.

But now an ancient foe had returned, and it was gobbling up precious seafront land - literally.

He stood at the shore, a crumbly uneven inlet where once had been fields - and a village where he had kin. The new bay was longer than it was wide, and rounded - like a serpent's bite.

Jormangund, he thought.

His master attack on Britain would have to wait...

[ December 26, 2005, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Interlude Five: Deep in Tir na nOg,
the Land Promised to the Saints

"He says we must follow this river to the place where the three rivers come together, and follow it west to the City of the Mounds."

"I pray thee, thank him for us, and give him some of these." Brendan offered up more prayer beads, which all the peoples they encountered seemed appreciative of. They're natural Christians, he thought, noting also their charity and helpfulness to strangers. They just have to be taught.

Pulowech was an able guide and translator, but his abilities were taking longer and longer, the further they traveled west of Kespukwitk.

But that's only to be expected, he surmised. The Lord shall provide.

Even so, their luck had not run out, and most tribes were of Algonq stock, and seemed to have enough common traits between tongues.

While waiting for the others to resume the journey, he again toyed with the newly found Egyptian medallion, and resolved to find the Hunter before it was too late.

[ December 26, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

okay, before we resume with chapter 61, I didn't realize I'd jumped pages, so I'll catch up on notes for 47 to 59:
47: Finally, Brainy and Laurel get to talk. The Gaelic here is strongly rooted in context: Hellos, how are you feeling, sorry, etc.
48-49: Now that this is out of the way, we can start looking for answers about Jo's nemesis. Gaini is today's Gainsborough, where the Roman Road did indeed cross the Trent by ferry. Deva is Chester, BTW.
50:Originally, I was going to gloss over the wedding, and jump right from 50 to what is now 60. But there was still too much I wanted to establish before Garth left for Iberia, and if the wedding couldn't fall on a nice clean 50-mark, 58 is a significant enough number for LSHdom. In 50, I had to play catch-up, establishing friendships of both Marla/Jo and Rokk/Kiwa.
51: Elmet was an old Celtic kingdom that stretched across the eastern Midlands, but gradually eroded away to the Angles. At this time, the Trent was probably a border between Anglia and Elmet.
52: The Madness of King Voxv. He surprised me here - I expected him to stay fully cogniscient, all the way through the wedding.
53: Despite my preference that Uther and Ambrosius were one and the same, Mordru nagged me - he wouldn't let it be simple. Plus, doing further reading on the sons of Constantine, it all fit.
54: Dyrk realizes that there are few witnesses to people Jonah alone has contact with. Is he onto something, or is there something else going on? The hints have already been planted, even before Dyrk opens his mouth...
55: I'm growing to love Saihlough. I just wish she'd turn up more often, but you can't arm-wrestle a fae...
56: Traditionally, the round table is a gift from Guinevere's father, and it struck me as a good time to introduce Loomis as well.
57: Zendak's daughters. These may be obvious crossovers here; one's name is written more ethnically correct, while the other's is taken back to its Roman (not English or French!) roots. I'm playing with the concept of different mothers, to adjust for why one has an Irish name, the other Latin.
58: Along with parts of 59, I never imagined I'd ever do research into Roman weddings, although I may have fudged a bit with the modern-ish wedding party composition.
59: There was probably more drunken debauchery, even among nobles, than history records, but if you can't party during the royal wedding of all royal weddings, when can you?
By now, it's probably a bit more obvious than I intended at this stage as to what's up with Agravaine. Oh, well.

[ December 26, 2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

BOOK II:
A BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL

Sixty-one

Satisfied that it had eluded its pursuers, the boar trotted to the water's edge, and started lapping.

It had been a hot, dry late summer day, and it took a lot out of the poor beast to be on the run all day.

Suddenly, he smelled his pursuers! But How-

Darting and grunting, he again fled, knocking aside a Standing Beast with its Sharp Arm. It took a measure of satisfaction in the wound the Standing One took from his tusk on the charge.

They may be swift, but the boar was swifter.

He’d have gouged the Stander, but two of its kind were nearby. Their smell and the noise they made were his sole advantage, outnumbered as he was.

Night was his normal prowling time, but the Standing Ones had disturbed his den - almost killing him asleep!

There was no choice but to run and hide. The Sharp Arm cut to his side was hurting less now, but angry and scared he still was.

Suddenly he ran into a batch of reeds so thick he could hardly move. But from where did it come? How was it so strong he couldn't break free?

Yet he could see through it. The Standing Ones had thrown it at him! And they were coming for him! Two of them!

One last chance!

He mustered his remaining might, and charged headlong at the one. He would take at least one down with him!

They chattered in their bird-like way, flailing at him! The cuts from their Sharp Arms drew deeper and deeper! Yet he had the one beneath him, its Sharp Arm thrust away, and his tusks were deep into the no-longer-Standing One.

There was a sound of a branch being pushed aside, then a sharp pain in his head! And another! The pain blotted out an eye!

He flailed around desperately, trying to take out both the One beneath him, and the Stander with the Sharp Arm at his side, but the pain! Another pain onto his snout, and then a Sharp Arm through his throat! Noooo!

"Is it dead?"

"Aye."

"And Thom?"

"...It looks bad. Have L'ile and Querl summoned."

Rokk twisted and turned his blade, making sure the beast was dead.

He and Jonah pulled it off of the wounded knight, unable to tell how much blood belonged to either.

"Other than that, I was a fine hunt," Jonah attempted to joke.

Rokk smiled grimly, leaning down to Thom, gently slapping his face.

"Thom? Sir Thomas? Do you hear me?"

The knight's eyes darted around, trying to focus on the voice.

"Father?"

"Nay, Thom. It's Rokk."

"Thank God. You must stop the beast before it returns for me."

"Aye, it is stopped."

"T'is a silly way to die," Thom said.

"Die you shall not. Healers are on the way." Rokk paused. "I am sorry, Thom. We should have stuck to the small game."

"We need to stay sharp. If the Khunds are staying at home this summer-" He coughed up blood.

"Speak not, conserve your strength."

The pain had gone from sharp to numb, but returned, and overwhelmed him. He passed out.

He was vaguely aware of being carried, and placed on a boat.

"They give me a northman's funeral," he muttered.

"Quiet yourself, young knight," a young feminine voice said. He caught a glimpse of two women. One, the red-haired, he knew.

Does the boat not move? I hear no oars touch water.

He passed out again, dreaming of crows. Warriors fought a huge sea dragon, a creature whose mouth was larger than a castle.

The crows fed well. He saw their mistress looking down in approval.

She saw him and laughed.

"Be not so ready to give yourself to me, young Thom. We have much blood yet to spill, you and I."

Suddenly, they were face to face, and she kissed him, mouth to mouth. He struggled, but a reassuring voice, a woman speaking to him as if from faraway, suddenly induced a lucid thought - he was being force-fed elixirs in the waking world.

Letting go, he drifted, falling into dreamless slumber...

[ December 26, 2005, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Sixty-two

"How fares Thom?"

"We shan't know for days, perhaps weeks. The wounds ran deep," Mysa told her.

The court ladies had accepted hospitality from the convent as Glastonbury. Mysa felt uncomfortable there, as the Christian holy communities sited there, on an isle a mirror image of Avalon's sacred geography, seemed like a pantomime of the land's true holiness.

A young girl who appeared as though she could be Imra's sister was at the spinning wheel.

"Hello, young one. I remember you from the wedding, but we did not properly meet. I am Mysa."

"I know who you are," glared the girl.

"Jancel! You do not speak to the king's own sister like that!" Imra rebuked.

The other court ladies stared at the girl disapprovingly.

"She's a harlot from Avalon!" Jancel blurted. "She givers her favours to sorcerers and devils," she said, speaking to the other ladies, "and seduces good, pure knights," eyeing Mysa for the last.

"Jancel fancies Sir Garth for herself," Jeka said, bitterly. "And she hates you, for earning his eye."

Imra winced at that. She could accept Garth settling for the plainish Mysa, but it hurt her pride to think he might prefer Rokk's sister.

Imra called the mother superior, and placed Jancel in her charge with the most unsavory of chores in the entire community - to be doubled each time she tried her tongue at any more court gossips about Mysa.

"I'm sorry you had to hear that, Mysa," Imra apologized before her ladies.

"The girl is young, and not used to watching her tongue. I saw much of that among the priestesses-in-training on Avalon."

"You were on Avalon?" Siobhan asked, disbelieving. "Was it true, then?"

"That I lie with devils and sorcerers? The ladies of Avalon are not wantons, as the Chr-, as some may have you believe.

"But there are times, rare though they are, when a priestess is called upon to for the Great Rite, a union between goddess and god, which we take as seriously as a marriage."

"Not that unlike how kings and queens make matches of princess and princesses," Jeka added.

"It does not sound custom fit for a proper Christians, in a Christian land," Virginia said.

"I suppose not. Yet outside the cities, the Old Ways remain," Mysa said.

"It is no wonder, then, that God punishes us with the Khunds, Angles, Northmen and Irish invaders. If we stood with God, God would stand with us," Virginia declared.

"If that were true, then the Christian god would have spared Rome from the Visigoths," Mysa responded.

In the silence, Virginia fumed.

"Mysa?" Siobhan said at last.

"Yes child?"

"Did you-" she glanced to Imra to see if her question was out of line. "Were you ever... called upon for the great... marriage?

"I was." Mysa refused to lie or show any shame (that would no doubt be misinterpreted), no matter how scornfully Virginia watched her. "It was many years ago."

Jeka recalled she was Siobhan's age when Mysa was called to Kiwa's cottage. And how she came back, three days later, a weeping mess.

It began then, she realized. When Mysa and Kiwa began going their separate ways.

"I know not the ways of Avalon," Luornu said. "And I try to be as good a Christian as a sinner can. But I recall the priests warning us not to judge, else be judged. I have found in my own life t'is difficult to judge another's path, when we have so little control of our own.

"I say, rather than point the finger, we join in a prayer for Thom, and for Britain to be spared the Khund."

[ December 26, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Sixty-three

"Is it not magnificent?"

"It is very defensible, I give you that," Jonah agreed. "It appears an old hill-fort?"

"It was, well into Roman times. Until Arviragus' revolt, when Joseph of Arimathea came to Glastonbury," Rokk answered.

"So you mean to make it your castle?" Balin asked, incredulously.

"Then it needs a tower of gold!" joked James.

"With ruby turrets," added Jonah.

"Nay," laughed Rokk. "My new fortress must be closer to the eastern shores. Come. Let me tell you my mind."

He drew a rough map of southern Britain, marking all the coastal Roman forts.

"These are the forts I have ordered rebuilt or improved, taking advantage of this strangely Khund-free summer," he began.

"Yet, Khunds may make landfall in between, and be missed by patrols. Or aid from one to another fort besieged is vulnerable to coastal attacks - as are messengers, hence-"

He paused for effect.

"I propose as a second line of defense, a row of new or rebuilt forts in a parallel line inland, or in Cornwall's case, on the north shore, from Tintagel east to Londinium, then north to Lindum.

"This fort, Cadwy's Fort, would take minimal repairs, yet could support Durnovaria, Vindagladia, or even Clausentum or Exeter, if need be," he said.

"And it would provide security to pilgrims bound to Glastonbury, Avalon or even the Great Stones at Salisbury," L'ile added.

The knights nodded at the logic, but Rokk had another surprise.

Reep smiled, savoring the stratagem he, Rokk, L'ile - and even Querl, had worked on.

"Now, these hills," Rokk marked the rough position of a series of hills between the first and second lines, "can be seen from both the coastal forts - and the inland ones."

Reep scanned the knights' faces. They hadn't caught on yet.

Rokk continued. "Imagine a coastal town under attack. It lights a signal that our hill stations observe. They in turn light signals-"

"That the second-row fortresses see! Brilliant!" exclaimed Balan.

Reep jumped in. "Moreover, if Garth's cavalry effort proves successful, they can ride from, say, here-"

"-They can reach the towns whilst the raiders are still there!" interrupted Jonah.

Rokk smiled. The plan seemed foolproof - if Belinant and Cradelmant didn't ruin it.

[ December 26, 2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Sixty-four

"Will you still need me? Feed me?" Thom teased his nurse-maiden.

"You are faring quite well," Zoe blushed. "Surely a brave and strong knight needs not my care much longer."

With the loss of Jeka and Mysa, the girl found herself in charge of the dwindling number of young maidens training to be priestesses, so that the senior ladies needn't be encumbered with day-to-day supervision - except to train them in the Mysteries and Magicks.

Having a handsome young knight to care for was a welcome break for Zoe, who knew she would soon be returning to more mundane tasks.

"What news of Rokk and the outside world?" he asked, as she began his cloth-bath.

"Well, Lady Mysa," it was odd to think of her as a guest here, when Mysa had long been her mentor. "Mysa tells me that Rokk has chosen to refortify the old hill fort to the south, and he's banned his knights from hunting wild boars."

Thom laughed, though it hurt his sides.

"I am sorry. I should let you rest."

"Nay. A good laugh is as healing as an elixir, my mother used to say," Thom smiled. "What else?"

"The Angle kings have arrived, a week early no less. When Rokk returns from the coast, there will be words, or so Mysa says."

Aye, there will. The true Caradoc t'is good as vanished. May the alliance last the week, he grimaced.

"Did I say something wrong?" Zoe asked.

"Nay. Wounds are like that. They grumble when you like it least. Any news of Khunds?"

"None, sir knight. The elder priestesses say t'is an ominous sign, for certain."

"Aye, it is."

"Well, they'll not find you here in Avalon."

"T'is not I to worry, but them!" beamed Thom.

"Aye. They'll look at the bed-ridden knight and turn-tail! 'Run! Flee, else he runs us through with his bandages!'"

Thom laughed again, until a new surge of pain grabbed him.

Zoe again began to apologize, but Thom just smiled. "Just teach me your magicks, lass, that next boar, I can make float away like a feather!"

[ December 26, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Sixty-five

"Thank you for seeing me alone."

Rokk tried to suppress his grimace. He trusted neither Angle king, and could well believe Cradelmant sought to lull him into a confidence the elder king had no intentions of honouring.

"No thanks are needed. Pray tell, speak your mind," Rokk said.

"It has troubled me all summer, this game my brother plays. He sought to impeach the character of the four knights you sent us, who could identify Caradoc as their assailant."

"Go on."

"At the wedding and all public appearances since, it has been Caradoc's brother Turquine in his stead. Belinant's plan was to embarrass the knights by having accused Caradoc, but misidentify him in public."

Rokk studied him. "And you went along with this?"

"I did. I felt I owed it to Caradoc... He has been a good knight, ere now. But some grudge against Gawaine I cannot ken has made him a villain!

"T'is luck you and your knights have been so busy this season, refortifying the coasts. But Belinant says as no Khund has landed, he believes you have been delaying formally hearing the accusations against Caradoc," said Cradelmant.

"Where is the true Caradoc?" Rokk asked.

"In hiding, in Kent."

Rokk sighed. Kent! Reep and L'ile's men have scoured all Britain save the most obvious!

"So, with the hearing, what then? Four knights stand in error?"

"More than that, my king. With that supposed falsehood in place, he will next accuse your queen of misrepresenting herself. He says he has proof that the real Guinevere is long dead, and your lady an imposter."

He lays all the cards down. What turn has their game taken?

"What proof?" Rokk continued to play ignorant, even as his entire theory was laid out, confirmed.

"Two former nobles of Voxv’s court. They will swear they administered to the dying girl."

And the lies come home to roost, thought Rokk. May as well see how far this goes. "What think you, good Cradelmant?"

"I think Voxv's mind is addled. I think the girl died, and he found a peasant who resembled the lass, and convinced himself she yet lives.

"I think no wrongs were intended, it's possible your queen even remembers not that she isn't North Cymru's daughter.

"But once the northern kings learn, they will rebel. I see no way to stop them."

"Who would stand against me?" Rokk asked, still wondering what Cradelmant's trick was.

"Belinant, of course. And out of kinship, I must side with him. The king of Elmet, Tarik of the 100 knights, as well. Possibly Pharoxx of North Cymru, if he can prove his uncle unfit. A-And--"

Rokk waited.

"Lot," Cradelmant said at last.

"And the Kentish Khunds?" Rokk asked.

Cradelmant nodded. "Most likely. Lot has exchanged fosterlings with Zaryan."

Rokk sighed again. "My thanks, Cradelmant. You are truly an honorable man, and a just king. Even if we go to war, you have my respect," he said, believing it possible for the first time.

Cradelmant bowed and departed.

I hope Reep is ready with our response, the king thought. Now, the rolling of six-sided stones truly begins.

[ December 26, 2005, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Sixty-six

"How is Thom?"

"He does very well, my sire," Kiwa replied.

"I'm far too young to have sired you," Rokk jested, again chiding her for her formality. "I hereby forbid the Lady of the Lake from resorting to honorifics in private conversation," he smiled.

She returned his smile.

"How fares our... remedy?"

"Does Thom's recovery invalidate the Magicks, you mean?" Kiwa saw through his question. "No. He risked his life against the Boar King. The sacrifice was offered, and Cailleach declined to take his life. But the sacrifice was made."

Rokk despaired. "It was meant to be me."

"Then you should have hunted alone." Kiwa had no sympathy for second-guessing the gods.

Rokk tried, but there was no point in making protests. His friends insisted in joining in, despite his admonishments.

He tried to find the silver among the tin. "So, the curse truly is lifted?"

"As long as Thom remains loyal to you, or dies whilst so sworn to you."

Rokk was assured, yet a wave of fear washed over him.

"If you wish to truly seal the deed, say the word, and Thom shall never leave Avalon." Kiwa seemingly read his darkest thoughts, and he for the first time regretted his bargain.

Thom's life or all faerie-kind? I cannot take his life for the sake of expediency; I must continue to hold his goodwill by earning it.

"I look forward to seeing Thom rejoin my companions," he said at last.

If Kiwa foresaw any error in his decision, she did not let on.

Either way, he dies by the hands of one he holds dear, she thought, but her Sight had told her no more.

[ December 26, 2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Sixty-seven

Loomius was a godsend.

The preliminary tests went well, as evidenced by the large shafts of wood in close proximity to the target posts.

"Did we do well enough?" asked the carpenter.

"See posts one and two"" Querl pointed. "That's the length of a Khundish boat, generally speaking. Two out of seven bolts hit. Not bad, but we can do better."

"Hmm."

"See posts three and four? Those represent the center of a boat, and a shore party breeching a port's first wall. We hit the boat once out of five times, and the raiders twice out of five," Querl continued. "We will do better."

"I hope so." Loomius didn't seem enthused.

"Listen. Before you arrived, I couldn't hit the boat at all, because I couldn't even build a test device. This, for a first effort, is excellent," beamed Querl. And, I can now give more time to planning directional aids, while you build the second generation of test devices.

Loomius was still unimpressed.

"If it wasn't so dry, we'd be testing with fire, as well. Then you'd see the true progress we've made," Querl patted the man on his back. "C'mon. I think a celebratory ale is in order."

[ December 26, 2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Sixty-eight

"Your majesty," gushed King Belinant. "It gives me great pleasure to introduce-"

"-My brother Turquine," said one of the robed monks who had been attending the guests. He pulled off the hood, exposing a grinning familiar face.

"It's him! Caradoc!" pointed Sir James.

"You bastard!” shouted Sir Jonah. Although weaponless in the presence of kings, he lunged at the man, who in turn fled down the hall.

Jonah pursued, with James on his heels. The chase disrupted a procession of monks en route to the chapel for their devotions.

"What?"

"How can it be?"

Belinant, King Cradelmant and Sir Turquine looked to each other for answers. None turned up.

"He was Caradoc? I was introduced to you as Caradoc," said Father Marla, to Sir Turquine.

Turquine began trying to return to the plan. "I-I am-"

"Sir Turquine. I remember you well," greeted Sir Dyrk. "We met at the competitions at Deva, three years agone."

The Roman made every effort to stifle a gloating grin. Reep may not have found Caradoc himself, but he had amassed enough information about the villain's brother.

"You've been introducing yourself as Caradoc all summer, Turquine. I'd say you have some explaining to do," Rokk eyed him, letting him know there was no more bluff.

Our plan is for naught, fumed Belinant. There must be a way to yet salvage this.

"M-My King. I-I" began Turquine.

"He's misled us all," bellowed Belinant, not about to let his pawn sacrifice him. "He made us think he was Caradoc."

What has bedeviled Caradoc to blow the game, pondered Cradelmant, searching Rokk's face for answers. He's outfoxed us well. A good high king, he will be, he thought, realizing Rokk already knew the ploy he'd outlined that very morning.

A good distance away, Jonah caught his quarry, both trying to keep silent their tremendous belly laughs.

"Calm down, you two! There's the second act yet to go," cautioned James.

Back at the hall, Belinant was trying to return to his script.

"There is more trickery afoot!" he crowed. "Not only was Turquine a fraud, but your majesty, I have reason to believe your queen is not who she claims to be!"

"Go on," Rokk said, patiently.

Belinant signaled his men, who brought forward an exotic-looking couple. "May I present Lord Marcos Chaing and Lady Jehanne Chu, former members of Voxv's court."

"My king," greeted Marcos. "I come to you with heavy heart. But I must tell you that the true Princess Guinevere died as a young girl. I pulled her from the frozen lake myself, and my wife tried unsuccessfully to revive her."

His Latin had an odd accent to it. Rokk guessed that they were descendants of traders of the old Silk Road, which weaved through the Persias and beyond.

"Well, then. We shall see if my queen admits such deception," Rokk said, asking Marla to fetch his bride.

He takes this well in stride, Cradelmant noted. Belinant's cause is doomed, even if I'd held my tongue. My compliments, King Rokk! He gave a knowing nod to Rokk, whose subtle smile recognized the nod.

Imra arrived, and greeted the couple as long-lost kin.

Marcos scoffed. "Do not further deceive us, she-demon! The true Guinevere died a decade ago!"

"My Lord Marcos, t'was your son, Redvik, who perished that day. Your hurt has played trick on your memories," the Queen assured them.

They looked at one another. No one save Voxv's royal family knew that Redvik met a similar fate, as they told the tale, trying to console Voxv.

The murderess Jeka, Marcos thought. She told her!

Imra went on, telling other anecdotes about family life in North Cymru - things Jeka was not privy to, only Voxv and the couple.

She had Marcos doubting himself, and she hated herself for it. I would be done with this lie, if it not meant civil war.

"My kinswoman!" Pharoxx arrived, saluting the royalty present, and kissing his cousin on the cheek.

"Prince Pharoxx! Y-You told me yourself that Guinevere was long dead!" Jehanne shouted.

Pharoxx looked at her strangely. "My lady, what ails you? My cousin is well indeed! Surely you of all people know better than to believe the evil gossips! You nursed her back to health those many years ago!"

Sorcery. That must be it, thought Belinant. But my spies told me Mordru was in Londinium's dungeons.

"I blame the lord and lady not for their errors. I am sure it was the grief of losing their own son that led them to such false witness," the queen apologized for them.

Other members of Voxv's court, still attending their Guinevere, were called on to vouch as well.

In the end, Turquine was surrendered, and Marcos and Jehanne sent on their way, to return to their current abode in the Frankish lands.

Belinant left for Lindum in a gloom, which Cradelmant feigned his best to duplicate.

"We've dodged another arrow," said Reep, now wearing his own face. "For now."

Rokk nodded. "We've kept the rebel kings at bay, at least until Yule, it seems. But we must be ready by then."

They watched as in the distance, the peasant farmers stamped out a brushfire, and felt a kindred-ness.

The dry summer was indeed a tinderbox waiting to be lit, in more ways than one.

[ December 26, 2005, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Hey you ]

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  36  37  38   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.