Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » R.J. Brande in Threeboot fiction 1/1

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: R.J. Brande in Threeboot fiction 1/1
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
Meeting R.J. Brande for the Threeboot

"Why are we going here again?" Light Lass said as she flew down the hallways of the massive complex that was nicknamed 'Brande Castle' "I thought only Cosmic Boy dealt with the Old Man."

Lightning Lad said "I understand that he wants to see us all."

"I thought he wanted nothing more to do with us since we became 'a group of punks and know nothings' in his opinion," Ultraboy said as he ate a banana while looking around the gigantic metallic hallways of the building. "Guy sure doesn't build small does he?"

[He designed the Public Service,] Imra said as she walked beside the group [And is the richest man in the universe from that wealth.]

"Wait, wait...what? Why are we associating with this man?" Ultraboy replied "Remember...Service Bad?"

"He would agree with you," Cosmic Boy replied while seemingly uncomfortable with the surroundings. "He hates his creation and wishes he never invented it."

Imra replied [But it provided the money for the creation of the Legion before we were cut loose. He also codified the original Legionnaire code and introduced us to the legends of heroes past.]

Karate Kid said "His influence is still felt in the Legion to this day but I can't help but feel we've disappointed him."

“Yeah well, who the hell cares!” Ultraboy forced his way in front of Chameleon. “He’s just another codger to get in our way….and where the hell is he anyway? Why’s he making us walk through this crazy palace anyway….oomph.”

Ultraboy found himself walking into the frame of the middle aged man before him, the man appearing out of seemingly nowhere. Ultraboy was surprised to find the man was surprisingly built for his age and didn’t flinch at all.

“I see you brought everyone Cosmic Boy, I thank you for that…” R.J. said with a dry voice as he started walking down the massive halls.

“Yessir,” Cosmic Boy said “I regret the circumstances of our parting and I still have ample respect for you sir.”

“Sir? Geez,” Ultraboy said “You’d think we were his kids rather than out to raise some he…”

*SMACK*

The hand of R.J. Brande went across Ultraboy’s face.

“WHY YOU…” Ultraboy had to be held back as a number other Legionaires, Shadow Lass primarily, pulled back to attack themselves.

R.J. Brande said “You were not formed to raise Hell….as you were so putting it. You were formed to reform society.”

“Yeah, yeah….” Ultraboy said as he rubbed his mouth. “I’ve heard it all from Cosmic Boy before.”

R.J. Brande‘s shoulders sagged “Unfortunately, Ultraboy, I do not think you understand…or any of you really…what this means because you have no idea of the magnitude of what humanity has lost.”

“Great, a history lesson…” Shadow Lass crossed her arms.

“Perhaps,” R.J. Brande said “But those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. It’s a quote you wouldn’t have heard. For the one hundred years of the United Planet’s existence, the Public Service has been used as the repository of all knowledge in the universe. Systematically, the U.P. has hunted down books and other sources of knowledge to have them destroyed. They have been relentless in making the Service the only way people can learn.”

Brainiac 5 stared forward “All information is still located on it Mister Brande.”

“Yes, destroying it would merely enflame opinions against them….and plenty were exiled for illegal goods anyway,” Brande shook his head “However, information is restricted by age and position. The majority of you have never heard of Plato or Socrates….or Washington and Jefferson.”

“Wasn’t he a comedy star?” Ultraboy piped in.

Brande turned to one of the walls and turned on a screen as the sight of the dismantling of the Eiffel Tower was accompanied by the burning of the works of art of the Lourve. Though the context for the art was lost on the Legion, they felt nevertheless a pain.

“As far as the United Planets was concerned, the past only lead to conflict so it was important to annihilate the past or at the very least…contain it. The citizenry keeps such close watch on children for a reason. They need to make sure that they are trained to be docile," Brande shook his head "Complacent. Your generation is being rotted from the inside and out just like your parents generation and their generation before that. They kept children away from their families to leave them devoid of cultural context or association."

The magnitude of the crime perpetrated on the people of the galaxy registered with some more differently than others but there was a cold sense of sickness.

Light Lass said "...well...it's not...all that bad..."

She was trying to defend the society that had birthed her, an almost instinctual reaction that was trying to avoid the responsibility she felt.

"Scientific advancement has started to die out. No one is willing to question dogma," Brande said "And the people themselves are almost powerless in the face of a threat. Lemnos' mercenary armies total success was proof enough of that," Brande shook his head "This is the path to extinction for not only humans but every race they have touched."

It was a disturbing truth.

"Question everything Legionaires. Even me. The Legion of Superheroes is not merely about fighting crime. It's about being someone....and inspiring. Though you are superheroes, the other legionaires out there by joining you will become scientists and teachers. They will start families and be researchers. They will stand up for what they believe in rather than obey."

R.J. Brande said. "That is what you exist for."

He causally then walked away and left them to speak.

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Good stuff, Charles! I'm happy to see R.J. again and you've given him a great role, inventor of the Public Service (surprise!), founder of the Legion AND an anti-Lemnos. Takes no crap, either. Fahrenheit 411 extended: the idea that the Louvre's works were burned in the past (and that these kids don't know what art is) was chilling.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.