Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » "Turning Point" is (finally) finished! Any comments or criticisms welcome!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Turning Point" is (finally) finished! Any comments or criticisms welcome!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi! I just finished a Lard Lad story called "Turning Point" that I first began writing in February 2004! Part One was a looooong time coming because in the middle of it, I disappeared from Legion World for about a year and a half when major changes occurred in my life.

Anyhow, when I came back to our online community last fall, I made finishing this story my priority. First, I wrapped up Part One. Then in February of this year, I started work on Part Two.

It's the most ambitious story I've ever written, and I welcome any comments and feedback you'd care to provide. If you've read it already, please let me know what you thought. And if you haven't, if you have the time to read it and respond, I'd appreciate it.

A little background on the story: Years ago, I decided that the character of Lard Lad over time would someday become evil. And early in LMB lore, we came up with our own version of the Legion's TMK period, a "five years later", if you will. I decided that it was in that darker period that Lardy's darkside would come to the forefront.

Building on this, I wrote my first two LMB Onevisions, "Hummer Lass: Intervention" and "The Search for Lard Lad". They were designed to be the first two parts of a trilogy, culminating in a finale called "Reign of the Dark Lard", which still hasn't been written.

"Reign" sat on the backburner with a loose plot idea for many years. Thinking more about it, I wondered how Lardy would get to the point he'll be in "Reign". Was it enough that his power would build to be so great as to corrupt it in and of itself?

No, I thought. There were clues in his personality. I wrote him as an alcoholic who was always into instant gratification. Was he always that way?

The answer came to me after writing a post in a tagteam about how a villainess steals his powers after sleeping with him. That post is essentially the Prologue in Part One and came out as very intense when I first wrote it.

Figuring out the before and after of that event formed a story idea in my head that I had to write. I called it "Turning Point". And as I wrote it, I realized it needed to be broken down into two parts. Part One would be about what happened in the past between Lardy and the villainess. Part Two would be about what happened after she stole his powers. And "Turning Point" would be a huge stepping stone toward 'getting' Lardy to "Reign".

(Incidentally, "Reign" is becoming more and more a reality as Cobalt Kid and I have exchanged many PMs about it. I'd guess you'll probably see it start in late 2006/early 2007!)

"Turning Point"'s a very dark story, trust me. Several parts of it were difficult for me to write, they were so dark. There were things in it that felt very risky to write, but I had to go with them. The story needed it, I feel.

Hope you enjoy(ed) it, but either way, I welcome anything you have to say. Thanks!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
great stuff, LL! I went back and read the original too ... really well done ...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.