Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Comics Redesigns

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comics Redesigns
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Just thought I'd post this here since I've not posted anything for ages. Over at The Engine Warren Ellis gave the challenge of redesigning Withcblade. There have been some brilliant ones posted already and even though I didn't go with anything particularly high concept I had a go anyway. I've tried to make her a little more animalistic than normal but also keep her sexy without being cheesecake.

-

[ May 09, 2007, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Bevis ]

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Although I don’t know much about the witchblade series this looks a lot less “good girl” that most of the images I have seen.

The blade is supposed to be a symbiote right? So in that respect I like the way the gauntlets have taken on a more insectoid look, this gal looks like she has a bit of praying mantis in her.

Have to say the sex appeal is lacking for me, at least I cant see myself looking at someone like this and going, “hey hot chick, shame about the disembowelling claws” before I run like the clappers. [Wink]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Your interpretation of the 'Blade feels very earthy to me. Like some sort of vegetation, instead of the vaguely Giger-esqye metallic look that comes across in the comics.

To Legion it up a bit, it could be neat to see Imra or Ayla or something done up in the Witchblade style.

Or Timber Wolf as Nottingham. [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I like the look, even though she looks like a female version of Magneto aka Ian McKellen. Don't know why but that's who I'm seeing.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know Witchblade very well, but I just keep noticing how large this girl's nose is!

I think it's a lovely portrait, overall, though.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

The redesign thread over at the Engine carry on (one a week until Ellis gets bored basically), so here's a few of my other ones.

First up is Miss Masque, who is fairly obscure. She's a socialite who fights crime. Two versions of her...

-

-

--------------------

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Then last week we had our very own Supergirl. I think everyone probably knows who she is...

-

--------------------

Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

And then this week we have Buck Rogers. In his origin story Buck Rogers was a World War I flying ace who was buried underground in an accident and kept in suspended animation by some wierd gasses. I always rather liked the Romanesque design of the original so stayed with that idea but made him a bit steampunk. Also in my version of him the wierd gases kept him alive but when he was brought back they meant he couldn't breathe regular air anymore so has little gas canisters worn on his neck and plugged directly into his respiratory system so he can actually breathe still.

-

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think I like this one the best Bevis. Very good.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Another new one for you. Not a comics redesign as such. It's the Steam Man of the Prairies. Basically it's a giant steam powered robot for transportation invented by a teenage dwarf genius (yes, really), written in 1865. The bit of text that Ellis quoted was this:

"'HOWLY vargin! what is that?' exclaimed Mickey McSquizzle, with something like horrified amazement,

'By the Jumping Jehosiphat, naow if that don't, beat all natur'!'

'It's the divil, broke loose, wid full steam on!'

There was good cause for these exclamations upon the part of the Yankee and Irishman, as they stood on the margin of Wolf Ravine, and gazed off over the prairie. Several miles to the north, something like a gigantic man could be seen approaching, apparently at a rapid gait for a few seconds, when it slackened its speed, until it scarcely moved.

Occasionally it changed its course, so that it went nearly at right angles. At such times, its colossal proportions were brought out in full relief, looking like some Titan as it took its giant strides over the prairie.

The distance was too great to scrutinize the phenomenon closely; but they could see that a black volume of smoke issued either from its mouth or the top of its head, while it was drawing behind it a sort of carriage, in which a single man was seated, who appeared to control the movements of the extraordinary being in front of him."

The bit that got my attention was the thing about it being mistaken for the Devil. That's not really what it's described like after that but it's what grabbed my attention, hence:

-

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.