Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » OneVision: The Legion of Freedom

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OneVision: The Legion of Freedom
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been kicking around this idea for a while now. This is an Elseworlds-type story imagining if the LMB appeared in the Golden Age.

The first group, the Justice Legion of America, represents the founders of the LMB; the second group, the All-Star Legion, represents the founders of Legion World; and the third group, the group on which the story focuses, the Legion of Freedom, represents those who have joined after Legion World was established (The characters are, rather obviously, based on Tamper Lad, Caliente, Kid Marvel, Stealth and Rockhopper Lad, since we all joined at about the same time).

I had a lot of fun coming up with corny-sounding Golden-Age-style names for everyone.

This is what I have so far. I expect more to come soon.

Enjoy!

The Legion of Freedom

1939:
The New York World’s Fair showed America a world of hope and peace as Hitler saw to it that Europe would see neither for a long time. Into this conflicted world came the first team of mystery men: The Justice Legion of America. Its five charter members, Mister Big, Lash-Man, Candle Girl, Mystery Man and Magnet Man used their incredible powers to fight the good fight and make the world safe for humanity. That is, until they mysteriously vanished.

1940:
Six months later, as war raged in Europe and America grew more tense, another team appeared to take up the fight for justice, The All-Star Legion: Mist Man, Electro-Man and his wife Mind Girl, The Robot and The Princess. They too valiantly fought to keep the world safe for democracy using their own incredible powers. Then, they, like the Justice Legion, vanished without a trace.

Which brings us to the present, 1941. America will probably be in this awful war before long. But there is still a need for mystery men. I wonder how many there are out there who haven’t come forward. The ten who have disappeared have inspired others, I know. I know because they inspired me. I had clandestine operations for a while, but rumors were heard. Whispers were spoken of other heroes, but all operated secretly. Until the day I met four others.

Dr. Genius is the one who called us together. His name only begins to describe him. He is the most brilliant inventor you can imagine. He has made communications devices for us that fit in the palm of one’s hand. He has created a computation machine that can do practically anything he tells it, and that’s just the beginning. He really is a amazing.

Then there is Fire Girl, a young lady who can create fire and heat from her hands. She’s one of the most independent women I’ve ever known. She says women can do anything men can do. I really admire her spirit. And when she walks into a room, she truly lights it up.

Silence Girl is another of our team. If you think you can be quiet, you haven’t met her. If Fire Girl lights up a room, Silence Girl brings a hush to it. Anywhere around her, all sound will go away if she wants it to. She also has mastered fighting arts from the Orient. No ordinary man can beat her.

In fact one of the few who could–maybe–is Mister Marvel. He may well be the strongest man who has ever lived. We haven’t found a weight so heavy he can’t lift it. And he can fly. What a guy! He’s also heir to a huge fortune and finances all of our exploits. Dr. Genius called us together, but Mister Marvel is our leader.

And then there’s me. My powers are just the opposite of Fire Girl’s. I create ice and snow. I dress all in black and white and call myself King Penguin. I’m not sure why. I always liked penguins. I keep records well, so I serve as Mister Marvel’s assistant.

Together, we form the Legion of Freedom. We haven’t been together very long, but we’re trying to uphold the ideals that the two groups that preceded us did, but most of all, we were trying to find out what happened to the Justice Legion of America and the All-Star Legion.

Dr. Genius, as usual, had an idea. He, Silence Girl and I spent long hours at the public library trying to find as much about the disappearance of the two teams that we could find, taking copious notes from the microfilmed newspaper articles and the clippings in the library’s vertical files.

The five of us were gathered in our secret headquarters on a hidden floor of the Linenworth Building, discussing what we had found.

“So what do we really know?” asked Mister Marvel.

Dr. Genius replied, “The disappearances are clearly related.”

“I’m sure,” Fire Girl nodded, “but they could be dead for all we know.”

“No, I don’t think so, Fire Girl,” the good doctor shook his head. “Were they met with their demise surely some evidence of the same would now have come to light. No, they yet live; however, we presently have no concrete idea where they are.”

Silence Girl normally didn’t say much, but she added “So who has them?”

“There can’t be many people on earth with the intellect to kidnap and hold all ten of them,” I said. “Some of them were–are–very powerful indeed.”

“That is correct, King Penguin,” Dr. Genius affirmed. “Indeed there are only four scientists on earth whose research and publishing reflect a great enough knowledge in the appropriate areas to do such deeds.”

“So who are they?” Mister Marvel asked.

“The first is me.”

“Of course it is,” Fire Girl rolled her eyes.

“One of the others is Mist Man himself.”

“I think we can dismiss him,” I said.

“Agreed. Another is Professor Sloan at MIT, but his research is so well-documented and he is known to be of the highest ethical standards. He could not have done it.”

“So whoever the other is, he must be the culprit,” I began to get excited. “Who is this fiend?”

“The Emperor.”

I had so hoped that it would not have been The Emperor. He was an evil genius, to be sure and he had fought both the Justice Legion and the All-Star Legion. He was most certainly capable of such things. He was also my twin brother.

We were identical physically, but past that, we were worlds apart. I liked music, he did not. I had many friends in school, he was a loner. When my ice powers manifested, his intellect began to increase at an incredible rate. We had always both been very good students, but my brother suddenly left the rest of us far behind. As his intellect grew, so his heart became more evil. I hadn’t seen him in many years, but when he appeared as The Emperor, I knew instantly who he was, despite his mask.

“So, where can we find The Emperor?” Fire Girl asked.

“That is what we have to figure out,” Dr. Genius replied flatly.

“Both groups disappeared in Fox City,” Silence Girl added.

“It would certainly be the logical place to find them,” Dr. Genius assented. “According to our notes, both teams disappeared in the warehouse district along Finger Street.”

“Didn’t you grow up in Fox City, King Penguin?” asked Mister Marvel.

“As a matter of fact, I did.”

“I’d say we’re going to Fox City,” smiled Fire Girl.

“Yes, we are,” Mister Marvel nodded. “I’ll fly on ahead. The rest of you take the Freedom Flyer.”

[ May 16, 2007, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Rockhopper Lad ]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.