Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » SketchUp Stuff

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SketchUp Stuff
Singularity
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singularity   Author's Homepage   Email Singularity         Edit/Delete Post     
If you don't know about Google SketchUp, it's a 3D modeling program from Google and it's the easiest thing I've ever learned to use. I started working with it in mid-July and after only a few weeks I was able to start getting things to look the way they do in my head.

What's this got to do with the Legion?
Well, for one, my first real "project" in SketchUp was the Legion cruiser. I love the old Cockrum/Grell design and have always wanted a model of it, but my model making skills are seriously lacking.

-

This was my first attempt, but my limitations kept me from achieving the look I wanted. Still, I was getting there after only a couple of weeks.

-

This is the final version, which is in the 3D Warehouse at Google SketchUp site.
My models are here.... http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=60f978bd910d92058810c27397333ef3

Of course, once I'd done the 70s cruiser, I couldn't let the 90s style go undone.

-

This is still a work in progress, I think of it as the first generation Flight Ring. A bit chunky.

-

This one started as an experiment to see if I could get the curved shapes I needed. I had a blast with it and will be doing all the versions of the Legion Cruiser that I can find good reference for.

-

I am obsessing with SketchUp, but there's a method to my madness. I can build models and use them in artwork for my own stuff! No more pesky repetitive backgrounds! I've got a comic strip in the works and I plan to use my models for it.

There's a lot of cool stuff in the 3D Warehouse. Would love to see some more Legion stuff up there.

Later!
Joe

[ August 08, 2007, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Singularity ]

--------------------
HeroBlog-Be a Hero
Ad Astra-the comic strip- The stars are ours.

From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurker Lass
Current status: borderline narcoleptic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lurker Lass   Author's Homepage   Email Lurker Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
That is actually a really interesting idea, using 3D modeling software in making comics. Are the models also compatable in 3D animation programs as well?

Either way, that's an awesome project you have going on. I look forward to your strips.

--------------------
{This has been a Lurker Lass sighting}

From: Somewhere in the Multi-verse | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Singularity
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singularity   Author's Homepage   Email Singularity         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks!
I was admiring your artwork, earlier. Your figures have a very "lively" look and I enjoyed seeing unfinished pencils, as well.

Take a look at SketchUp, the price is right and I as blown away by how quickly I learned how to use it.

I follow the Wally Wood philosophy with comic art. There's a quote that goes, "Never draw what you can trace, never trace what you can copy and never copy what you can cut out and paste up."

It's especially true if you're doing all the work, yourself. Anything you can come up with to make the job easier is OK in my book. As long as you don't outright plagiarize another artist's work.

Plus, this way, my ships and buildings will always look consistent AND have the proper perspective for the scene! Perspective, how I hate thee!

Joe

--------------------
HeroBlog-Be a Hero

From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Great Stuff! I tried to have a go with SketchUp and kinda... failed. Yeah, let's call it a failure. [Smile] I managed to get it to produce a background for a Question picture I was working on but other projects got in the way.
But I did see it as the kind of program where if you put in a minimal effort, you get a decent result, but with more effort, you can achieve some really spectacular stuff!
Great Work! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
It's great to see the classic Legion space cruisers done with modern tools! I'd like to see them all shiny! Hey, how bout the original rocket ship clubhouse with fins?

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuietDarkness
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QuietDarkness   Author's Homepage   Email QuietDarkness         Edit/Delete Post     
Singularity, have you ever considered starting a thread for all of your Legion artwork over here? *I* certainly have a ton of it on my computer and I'm sure that everyone here would enjoy seeing all of your pin ups and sketches.

Sheryl

--------------------
Night Girl's mother

From: Bellaire, Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Titan Lad
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Titan Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Those are really good singularity! I really really like the Legion Cruiser one.
From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Nice stuff. I downloaded sketchup when it first came out to use for one-point and two-point perspective examples for my students. I like what you've done with it.

I also use an openware program called Persistence of Vision in which you can do some very realistic imaging and animations.

Programs like these really can help to motivate kids and programs that do not have money and they do not take the "latest" technology.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Singularity
Wanderer

Thanks. Just finished this one... LSH MkII Cruiser

-

Man, this is fun!
Joe

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Nice stuff. I downloaded sketchup when it first came out to use for one-point and two-point perspective examples for my students. I like what you've done with it.

I also use an openware program called Persistence of Vision in which you can do some very realistic imaging and animations.

Programs like these really can help to motivate kids and programs that do not have money and they do not take the "latest" technology.

--------------------
HeroBlog-Be a Hero

Singularity
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
It's great to see the classic Legion space cruisers done with modern tools! I'd like to see them all shiny! Hey, how bout the original rocket ship clubhouse with fins?

Ask and ye shall receive!

-

I looked at several reference pics, and chose to go with the larger scale. It varied from artist to artist, and sometimes from one panel to the next.

Same is true of the Cockrum cruiser, in some scenes it's Enterprise-sized, others, more like a large shuttle. Later, artists like James Sherman would extend to connecting boom out to ridiculous lengths. Then, around the time of Earth War, everybody's ships seemed to regress back to 1950s style rockets. Not a great period for the Legion.

Joe

--------------------
HeroBlog-Be a Hero

Singularity
Wanderer

Couple of new pieces.

Been wanting to do the Kryptonian rocket since I started playing with SketchUp, finally got one I like.
 -

And a version of the Legion's own Time Bubble...

-

Joe

--------------------
HeroBlog-Be a Hero

Sketch Lad
Advisor

D'oh! I forgot to thank and compliment you on the HQ!! I think it's really great.

Love the Time Bubble, too!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Singularity
Wanderer

quote:
D'oh! I forgot to thank and compliment you on the HQ!! I think it's really great.

Love the Time Bubble, too!

Thanks...
I love how the bubble itself doesn't cast a shadow. If I can ever get them loaded on the 3D warehouse, you can download them a play with them. On the dashboard of the Time Bubble is a communicator from ST:TOS. [Razz]

--------------------
HeroBlog-Be a Hero

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Beware! The requests could keep coming and coming...

How 'bout machinery? Computo, Miracle Machine, Planetary Chance Machine, The Kissing Computer, etc etc...

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Singularity
Wanderer

quote:
Beware! The requests could keep coming and coming...

How 'bout machinery? Computo, Miracle Machine, Planetary Chance Machine, The Kissing Computer, etc etc...

I was thinking about Computo, the other day. If I can figure out a good way to do the tentacles.

The Miracle Machine shouldn't be too hard, I may take a stab at it.

I was working on Brainiac's flying saucer, the other day, still needs work. Can't even think about doing the Brainiac skull ship, that's just too complicated. But, maybe one day.

I need to compile some good reference for the HQ from the 70s, I'd like to do a model of that. And the Academy, from the 80s.

Later,
Joe

--------------------
HeroBlog-Be a Hero

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.