Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Onevision - A Gray Day for Brothers

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Onevision - A Gray Day for Brothers
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
OneVision -
Authors note
The current batch of onevisions and tag team events seems to have inspired me to try my hand at a few short stories.
The events of this tale take place sometime in the past of the LMBP, my intention is not to tie any of these tales too closely to current role plays or event happening in LMB continuity. As one of the old timers in this little internet grouping I may end up using characters and posters from the past who may no longer post with us so I will let Cobalt as resident historian try to figure out where these tales fit in. I have also made an assumption that as the Legion takes place one thousand years in the future so do the tales of the LMBP

In these stories I am going to try to flesh out a bit of Faraway Lads powers and back story along with introducing GiGi more into LMBP continuity.

Also these are short stories which are not meant to be as deep and moving as many of the onevisons I have read on here. These little stories are sort of small self contained back up tales of the LMBP which fill in space in the back pages of the main stories told by such masters as Lardy et al. There is an over riding story arc I am going to try to aim to resolve over the next year or so but hopefully you will enjoy these for what they are meant to be. Simple light reading and (hopefully) entertaining, not “great literature”

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Chapter One

Jan D’Groot was feeling nervous and he didn’t know why. It had started this morning as soon as he had got to his office in the New Amsterdam branch of the Interplanetary Bank. All through his day he had felt overlooked as if someone was watching him. But that was stupid He was working deep in one of the most secure vaults in the entire sector, security was second to none and no one else could get into the vault without passing twenty different security checks. Still he found the whole day to be a bit unnerving.

Outside, the day passed. In a small ice cream parlour Brunt and Drunt two brothers who were notorious guns for hire sat watching a Omnicom terminal. They were recording everything D’Groot was doing including the account numbers of a large proportion of the richest people on New Amsterdam.

“All this is nice but it is small change, when is he going to get to the prize” asked Drunt rather bored.

“Patience brother patience, our agent will see everything D’Groot does we will get the information we need soon”

And the day goes on.

Inside the Vault D’Groot is getting increasingly agitated.

“Who’s there” he cries out loud spinning around to see nothing. Shaking his head D’Groot turns around and starts on his final piece of work for the day. As he does so he thinks he hears laughing from behind him. He spins around this time very fast. “who’s there” he cries again “show yourself” but of course there is nothing to see but the solid blank wall of the vault.

“This place must be getting to you D’Groot” he says to himself shaking his head “maybe you should put in for a transfer”

He moves towards a large box held in a trans-inversion sphere and starts to tap in the override security controls. As he does so he is sure he feels someone or something breathing on his neck and turns hurriedly. As he does so for the first time he sees or rather thinks he sees a shadow in his peripheral vision. Yet every time he turns to look at it, it moves, it always seems to be just behind him.

Outside in the ice cream parlour Brunt and Drunt have become concerned.
“Verily dear brother it seems our intervention may be needed sooner than our master anticipated” Says Brunt.

“I concur brother” and Drunt moves toward the street moving his hand ominously towards a blaster shaped lump in his jacket pocket. “Let us take up the extraction position now just in case”

[ September 26, 2007, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: Faraway Lad ]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Back in the Vault D’Groot has calmed down; he has had no more strange moments or feelings and although still somewhat shaky has decided to continue with his final task of the day.

Switching off the trans-inversion sphere, he is now able to enter the codes for the inertron box. He opens the box and takes out a small piece of parchment. This is a surviving relic from before the great wars of the 25 hundreds It is almost priceless and it is one of only three such relics known to exist in private ownership. Yet to some its value lies not just in its antiquity or in its rareness but in the information held on that dried cracked page. These people believed that this parchment gave a map to a device from the old times, a device that would give the owner the key to untold wealth and power. D’Groot didn’t believe that himself, but in order to keep the payments for the deposit coming in it was a condition that a living human physically check the parchment every month, so that’s what he did.

As D’Groot placed the parchment on a table he heard behind him, clearly this time and without any doubt.

“At last we get to the interesting stuff, I was getting so bored”

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

D’Groot turns towards the chair behind his desk. There sitting in an attitude of extreme indifference is a small nondescript brown haired man. The only noticeable thing about him is the colourful costume he wore.

“who are you, how did you get here” Jan asked

“Oh never mind all that” said the stranger, “lets just say I was behind you all the way” and he gave a small mad little laugh.

Jan blinked. Where was he?

“Oh I am still here” said a voice whispering behind his head “don’t bother turning around, I will always be just here behind you”

Jan D’Groot felt himself being pushed down into a chair. The stranger now stood in front of him holding a small curiously shaped weapon in his hand.

He was smiling as he says “So I am here to steal the parchment obviously but whilst I am here I think a little fun is called for. Now I wish I could say this wont hurt a bit but I am afraid that would be lying and lying is naughty isn’t it”

D’Groot could not answer, now he could see this mans eyes and he was even more scared than before. He almost wished this boyish figure was still behind him so he didn’t have to look at those eyes

“Ah well on with the job I suppose” says the figure and he raises the weapon and fires it at D’Groot. Huge bolts of electricity arc from the gun and into D’Groots body which writhes and twists in agony, a high pitched scream being forced out of his lips before he collapses to the ground.

Almost before he hits the ground the criminal has taken possession of the parchment and is standing waiting as various alarms sound within the Bank.

“Whilst I’m here a little creativity I think” He raises the weapon again and fires lightning bolts against the walls and the inertron box. Then he changes a setting on the weapon and fires again. This time magnetic forces take hold of the vaults walls and twist them. “Time for one more I think” and again he adjusts the weapon. This time fire blackens the table.

Then there is the sound of running feet. Security guards enter the vault taking up positions to cover all exits and scanning for people. The room is empty except for D’Groot lying on the ground. At the door officer M’Prell feels uncomfortable almost as if his drill sergeant is standing just behind him watching him for a mistake. A feeling that stays with him all day until he leaves the bank.

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

Chapter Two

Later SP Officer Mary Johansson is taking the robbery over with her security chief. D’Groot is in hospital and has been unable to help with more than just a cursory description of the robber. In fact when later asked for a description D’Groot was only able to offer one of the costume. When pushed for the mans physical description he was unable to give one. “It’s like my eyes couldn’t see his face, almost as if they didn’t want to see him” he said later.

“I don’t like this” Chief she was saying, “Only superpowers could have got into that bank. And with signs of electrical discharge, magnetism AND fire there is only one team with that mix we know of. I want to bring in Lightning Lad Cobalt Kid and Caliente for questioning”

The chief didn’t like this, but he knew deep down that if the evidence pointed this way then these three stalwarts of the LMBP had to questioned.

Meanwhile, in a flyer in deep space, Brunt and Drunt are sitting with the parchment in front of them. “Well Brother that went well” said Brunt. “Indeed it did my brother” replied Drunt

“Well” said a voice from behind them “did I do what I said I would do”

Brunt stood up. “In front of us if you please boy” he said menacingly.

“Well did I?” said the boy from in front of the two.

Drunt spoke first. “Your infiltration was masterful, as was your extraction”

“However” continued Brunt “Your lack of control at the vital moment almost compromised the mission and the reckless and wasteful vandalism after the achievement of the object was puzzling”

Further conversation was interrupted as the flyers proximity alarm sounded announcing the arrival of their paymaster.

[ September 26, 2007, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: Faraway Lad ]

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

Police HQ, New Amsterdam

“I do not believe it you little …little…pipsqueaks!” stormed Caliente flames rising from her clenched fists “How can you think we would be involved in this”

“Maybe I ought to show you idiots just what a mess I would make of your pretty little bank building if I was actually involved” added Cobalt with a steely menace.

“Calm down guys” say Lightning Lad “we all know we weren’t involved and I am sure that despite initial appearances we can convince these officers we had nothing to do with this”

“How can you say that LL” says Caliente “these officers know us better than that, how many times have we pulled their butts out of the proverbial fire and now they pull a stunt like this, I ought to fry their heads”

The investigating officers gulped a little as they had no desire to try to face down three of the most powerful of the LMBP.

“Perhaps I can help a little” says a deep voice from the doorway. Relived at this interruption SP officer Johansson stood up and looked at the costumed figure, “and you are?”

“Faraway” said Cobalt making the introductions “What are you doing here?”

“Well” said Faraway “Getting your ass out of this sorry mess for a start young fellow me lad” and he threw a data crystal at officer Johansson. “Here officer, this should provide all the evidence you need to prove that these three could not have been involved”

After investigating the evidence Officer Johansson stood up from behind her desk. Offering her hand in apology she said “I am sorry, but the initial evidence pointed to three superpowers with lightning, fire and magnetic capabilities. We also have no idea how the robbers got into or out of that sealed vault and given the adventures the LMBP have had with various teleporters in the past it was an avenue we had to explore”

Lighting Lad took her hand. “We understand officer”

Cobalt kid stood for a moment then relaxed and smiled. It was only then that he realised just how attractive officer Johansson was. His smile widened. “Well I have an idea as to how you can offer me a rather more private apology” he said winking.

“Ouch!” he jumped as Caliente sent a flame straight into his rear end.

“Behave yourself Cobalt” she said but her anger was subsiding. It was after all hard to remain angry for any length of time around Cobalt.

“well we still need to figure out how this robbery was carried out and by who” says Johansson.

“If I am not needed here” said Lightning Lad I will get back to LegionWorld and Saturn Girl. Cobalt, Caliente and Faraway can take it from here” and with that he left for his cruiser for the long flight home.

“So officer Johansson, lets see what the head of the LMBP security office can make of the records of that day” says Cobalt as he moves next to her and placing his hand on her shoulder offers his help and advice as they review the security tapes

“You got to admit he is an impressive operator” says Faraway to Caliente.

After an hour Faraway suddenly sits upright. “Hold it, there that frame there, replay it”

“But that’s just D’Groot talking to himself” says Caliente.

Faraway is busy searching through papers and flimsies scattered across Johanssons desk. He finds what he is looking for and a strange look crosses his face. “damn” he mutters.

“what is it Far” asks Cobalt.

“this just got personal Des, its family”

Cobalt Kid looked at his friend and knew what this meant, he thought back to the time the Empress had trapped him and Lard Lad and was waiting to unleash the enema machine on Earth. He knew who Faraway thought was involved in all this business and also knew it had to be a personal quest and not one for the LMBP.

“OK Far, do you want any help on this one”

“If you don’t mind Des I think I need to try to sort this one out my self. Officer Johansson I am going to ask you for a favour"

“OK Far” said Cobalt, “Come on Cali we are leaving”

“But, but but..”

“Fill her in on what she needs to know on the cruiser on the way back Des, and… well thanks”

Dragging a still protesting Caliente out of the room via his magnetic powers, Cobalt Kid smiled, “no probs Far” For a second the smile faded, “but you be careful he’s dangerous”

“I will Des I will”

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

Chapter Three

Deep space three weeks later.

Faraway was waiting in his study. He had all the potential locations of the next bank job marked out and there was going to be another one he was sure. He had just finished reading when one of the contact alarms he had rigged with Officer Johassons help sounded.

"is that?" asked Gigglebot Girl.

"Looks like it is my love" replied Faraway, "Horace, take us their as fast as you can"

Faraway held Gigi close. "You don’t have to do this you know, this is my problem"

Gigi reached up and gently kissed his forehead. "don’t be silly" she said smiling "what’s yours is mine, remember"

Faraway laughed, "yeah but that’s supposed to refer to my bank balance, not a potential fatal fight"

A telepathic sound told Faraway that they had arrived. "are you ready?" he asked. All he got in reply was the sound of battle armour closing around his wife.

"then lets go"

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

The planet Nenthead was a bit of a backwater and to the brothers Brunt and Drunt it was an extremely boring place to be. Still the master had commanded them to be here and to act as back up should their accomplice fail in his mission.

They stood in a small shop, across the road was a Temple. In the Temple was a ring, a ring of power they were told, a ring that was only limited by the wearers imagination. As Brunt and Drunt had very limited imaginations they found it difficult to see why the master wanted this ring.

Inside the Temple high priest Na’teth was uneasy. For many hours now as she prepared the rite of the ring she had felt as if she was being watched. Still as she knew she could not be, she continued to prepare the rite.

Finally Brunt and Drunt received the signal they had been waiting for. They crossed the road to the Temple opening a small bag as they did so to receive the ring. From out of the Temple fled a terrified Na’teth, “its haunted, the temple is haunted” she cried as she ran down the street

“Here” said a voice from behind Drunt, “take it, its only a green ring hardly worth the time really”

“you know you really should have studied at History a bit harder little brother” said the voice of Faraway as he flew down from his vantage point on the Temple roof.

“Damn it” cried the voice from behind Drunt, “get him he’s one of those LMBP do gooders”

“Its no good Herbert. Give your self up now” said Faraway.

“Don’t call me that” shouts an angry voice from behind Brunt “You use the name the LMB gave you when your joined them why won’t you use my LMB name”

“You never joined the LMB Herbert” says Faraway patiently. “They rejected you remember”

“Never” cries the voice, “how could they ever reject me I am always there, always behind you,.. always. Use my code name”

There is a silence then the voice continues, slyer and more honeyed now.

“Use my code name Faraway Lad or your little helper gets it”

Faraway Looks up and sees Gigglebot Girl held in a strange grasp, he can almost see the arms around her but not quite.

“so you thought you could distract me and let her sneak up on me did you” The voice is cold now oh so very cold.

“How did you think a norm could hope to sneak up on me”

“ALRIGHT…ALRight shouts Faraway, “just don’t hurt her,…Behind…I mean Behind you Boy”

“Ah Brother dear Brother” continues that cold voice “I always said that soft spot in you for others would be your downfall. Now Your wife and I will watch as you die”

BYB laughs “Brunt, Drunt, Kill him”

As the hired guns move into position and raise their weapons Faraway takes one last imploring look up at his wife and brother

“On my command” starts Behind you Boy raising one hand.

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

As the hand raises Gigglebot feeling his grip loosen nods to Faraway and that is the signal Faraway is looking for. Throwing himself forward between the two thugs he rolls and then as he stands connects his fists firmly on their jaws. The blow is not enough to hurt them but does jar and makes them loose concentration for a second. This is enough. Far first sends their weapons Faraway. Brunt and Drunt look at their empty hands in surprise, then they see the guns just in front of them just out of reach. They step forward to retrieve them but before their fingers can close on the guns they are moved just out of reach again. The pair try again, and again and again and are soon disappearing out of site down the dusty street chasing weapons that are always just far enough away from the to reach.

Meanwhile Gigglebot girl has taken hold of Behind you Boys free arm and using Gryggian unarmed combat moves has spun BYB to the ground and is straddling him whilst a number of her Gigglebots swarm around him tickling him into submission.

Faraway Lad approaches and as he does so Gigglebot girl looks up at him but this breaks her concentration and Behind you Boy is able to beak free. Instantly he is gone.

A scream down the street alerts the LMB pair to his next position. A young girl is cowering in the street “Come on Gigi, but be careful its hard to fight someone like Herbert”

In the Street a crowd has gathered alerted by the girls screams they see the two hero’s and the girl and think they are the ones hurting her. Stones are thrown and Gigglebot has to armour up to avoid being hurt. Faraway send the stones that come his way well away somewhere. Faraway has to fly up into the air and using his powerful voice he starts to address the crowd. Slowly and taking all his diplomatic powers of persuasion, he calms the crowd down and gets them to understand the situation.

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

“The problem Gigi” says Faraway when they get a quiet moment “is that we have no idea where Behind you Boy is”

“More than that” says Gigi “we don’t know why he wanted this ring” and she held up a small green ring, embossed on it was a stylised lantern.

“And you never will” said a triumphant voice from behind her. With a sharp blow to her head he knocks Gigglebot girl out and triumphantly takes the ring.

But then realises that he now has no one to hide behind except his own brother.

Faraway Lad smiles. Activating his defensive shield he waits for BYB to attack as he knows he will.

“Well this time I win” says BYB from behind and he strikes Faraway. Only to be repelled by the Faraway Force. Flung backwards ByB instantly flings himself behind Faraway again and strikes again with the same result. Once more ByB attacks this time Faraway is able to grab his hand. Two opposite and equally powerful forces collide, one trying to get close the trying to send Faraway the resulting feedback loop caused a huge explosion. Faraway was ready for it and moved himself just faraway enough to avoid being destroyed by the blast. Behind you Boy however was left dazed and shaken and for once was left in full view.

“Its over Herbert, its over” Says a shaken Faraway barely able to stay on his feet. “Give up and lets us help you”

“Help HELP!” laughs Behind you Boy, “I know what you mean by help and I’ll never go back to that hospital, never”

Faraway tries to straiten up ready to fight on if he has to when he hears a noise and looking up sees a hover flivver flying straight overhead. It lands just behind BYB and Brunt and Drunt jump out
“I believe dear brother that we should extricate this person from this situation immediately” says Drunt
“yes” agrees Brunt “Let us proceed with alacrity”

They grab hold of Behind you Boy and bundle him into the flivver which takes off immediately.

A shaken Faraway fires a blast at the flivver attempting to send it Faraway but in his weakened situation he misses. And he has to watch as it leaves the planet.

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

“The problem Gigi” says Faraway when they get a quiet moment “is that we have no idea where Behind you Boy is”

“More than that” says Gigi “we don’t know why he wanted this ring” and she held up a small green ring, embossed on it was a stylised lantern.

“And you never will” said a triumphant voice from behind her. With a sharp blow to her head he knocks Gigglebot girl out and triumphantly takes the ring.

But then realises that he now has no one to hide behind except his own brother.

Faraway Lad smiles. Activating his defensive shield he waits for BYB to attack as he knows he will.

“Well this time I win” says BYB from behind and he strikes Faraway. Only to be repelled by the Faraway Force. Flung backwards ByB instantly flings himself behind Faraway again and strikes again with the same result. Once more ByB attacks this time Faraway is able to grab his hand. Two opposite and equally powerful forces collide, one trying to get close the trying to send Faraway the resulting feedback loop caused a huge explosion. Faraway was ready for it and moved himself just faraway enough to avoid being destroyed by the blast. Behind you Boy however was left dazed and shaken and for once was left in full view.

“Its over Herbert, its over” Says a shaken Faraway barely able to stay on his feet. “Give up and lets us help you”

“Help HELP!” laughs Behind you Boy, “I know what you mean by help and I’ll never go back to that hospital, never”

Faraway tries to straiten up ready to fight on if he has to when he hears a noise and looking up sees a hover flivver flying straight overhead. It lands just behind BYB and Brunt and Drunt jump out
“I believe dear brother that we should extricate this person from this situation immediately” says Drunt
“yes” agrees Brunt “Let us proceed with alacrity”

They grab hold of Behind you Boy and bundle him into the flivver which takes off immediately.

A shaken Faraway fires a blast at the flivver attempting to send it Faraway but in his weakened situation he misses. And he has to watch as it leaves the planet.

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

In space, Behind you Boy faces a shadowy figure dressed in Grey.

“the ring my Lord” he says handing it over.

A grey hand takes the ring and a grey voice echo’s out of the depths

“SO THE FIRST PART OF THE PUZZLE IS IN PLACE. WELL DONE MY SON I MAY HAVE A USE FOR YOU LATER”

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

Back on board Horace Faraway and Gigi are heading back towards LegionWorld

“What do we tell them Far” asked Gigglebot?

“Well the truth I guess” said Faraway. “what I don’t like is the fact that someone is obviously looking for objects of power and we don’t know why”

Gigi looked at her husband. She knew him well enough to see he was more upset that he let on. The fact that his brother was free was worrying enough. That he was involved in some criminal activity was much more of a concern to her husband.

Horace signalled that they had arrived at Legion World and the two prepared to go down to the surface to discuss events with the founders.

The End

--------------------
Faithfull

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.