Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Fic: Gives Me Presence...

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fic: Gives Me Presence...
Neemers
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neemers   Email Neemers         Edit/Delete Post     
"Kid, I love how there are always rumors swirling about me. Gives me presence."
--Salu, LoSH #13

This quote (and the discussion of it on this forum) started me off trying to get inside Atom Girl's head. Here is the result.

Gives Me Presence
By Neemers

Nobody gets me. Nobody, but nobody really gets me. They try just sticking me in a box and forgetting about me. Won't even let me have any input into which box the stick me in if they can help it.

There's two simple facts that most people who know much about my race or about me know. My people, the Imskians, worship Brainy. I work with Brainy. Most just don't take it any further than that. Don't connect the dots for how these two simple facts fit together.

You see, I'm the only Imskian who has worked closely with Brainy. Ever. And of course, the nature of sentients being what it is, nobody in Imsk can see it as a straightforward working relationship. Some think I'm his slave-for-life, having sacrificed myself to save the rest of the planet. Some think I'm his protégé and will someday return to rule the planet. They're the second-biggest reason I stay away. The biggest are the ones who think that since we spend so much time together, I must be his lover. The innuendos are bad enough, but do they really have to keep sending me pregnancy drugs to 'help things along?' And don't even get me started on the temples.

Nobody gets it. It's so simple. He saved me, so I owe him. I ain't dedicating the rest of my life to him, but I will help him out and protect him when he needs it. He's real good at getting in over his head. I'm his lab helper, and I'm his bodyguard. That's it. Why do you think he build me those guns, anyway? Out of the goodness of his heart?

The legion isn't quite so bad about the rumors. The main-core ring-wearing types, I mean. About the worst I've ever gotten from them is a few opinions that I didn't exist, or that I had a crush on Brainy. Those were both quick enough to set straight, and I didn't even have to bash any heads in to do it. Pity about that.

No, it's the Legions outside the headquarters that go nuts on the rumors. I've looked through what they're saying about me. People think I'm in the sack with every single member of the team, or that I'm a shy little thing who's scared of her own shadow. There's even one or two who think -- well I probably shouldn't tell you what they think. I ain't little miss sunshine, or no slut. I'm one of the meanest mothersprockers on the roster. Try telling that to the idiots who just think 'she shrinks, and she hangs out around the biggest geek in the Legion.' Though it was fun doing a little to set the record straight, using anyone who called Brainy a geek for target and/or combat practice. Especially those three Brallians last month. Now *that* was fun.

You see, no matter what I do there's going to a million and one rumors swirling around me. About the only thing I can do it try to pick and choose which ones go on. Be bad enough to make them realize I ain't no pushover, and I ain't nobody's pet. Why do you think I'm dangling Invisible kid over a whole lotta nothingness right now?

Questions and comments are always welcome.

[ October 20, 2007, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Neemers ]

From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting...
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
what a great little story! Nice to see the Legion (main ring-wearing group and the l'il 'L' types) from Salus point of view.

More, more, more!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.