Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Young Ultra Boy: The Rimbor Adventures

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Young Ultra Boy: The Rimbor Adventures
Space Cadet
Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Space Cadet   Email Space Cadet         Edit/Delete Post     
While working on "Young Legion" characters, I found I had the most fun with Ultra Boy. If I was given a chance to do a Saturday Morning Cartoon of any one Legionnaire, he'd be it.

He combines all of the fun stuff that makes Superboy neat, with none of the backstory. I thought it would be a blast to work with young Jo Nah, shortly after he attains his powers, and before he really gets into the hero game. As well, a futuristic (but slightly Dystopian) world like Rimbor (with minimal Science Police presence) should make for interesting story ideas.

What I think would make this the most interesting is following Jo while he learns to use his powers to their best advantage, while figuring out ways around his one-power-at-a-time problem.

In the Young Legion Universe, Jo is a teenage mechanic who, while testing one of his repairs with a joy ride where he shouldn't really be, is swallowed by an energy beast, freed by the Galactic Patrol, and shortly after returning to Rimbor finds out he's not the young man he used to be.

He has no interest in being a hero, but he's constantly being dragged into it by a bounty hunter female (with a jet pack and blaster) while simultaneously being discouraged by a young Green Lantern (who doesn't want an amateur messing things up, especially one who doesn't really have a handle on his powers yet).

Here's the early character drafts ( Jo's uniform in the second set of images is the final one, dark green pants instead of dark green underwear atop lighter pants, the white stripe on his cuffs, etc.).

Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

Click for fullsize image

The Green Lantern's costume here is a stand-in only until I decide on a final design (the temporary texture used here is the excellent work of Jeffrey W. Orange, of Muskateer Graphics).

Jo's only partner at work is an outdated robot (added for comic relief, as well as Jo's sounding board).

[ November 15, 2009, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Space Cadet ]

--------------------
Readin' Legion since '62

From: Winnipeg | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Cadet
Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Space Cadet   Email Space Cadet         Edit/Delete Post     
In this test scene, the Emerald Empress has arrived on Rimbor and is exploring a set of ancient ruins there (looking for the Eye's mate). Jo flies off to deal with her (without waiting for help or information about what he's up against) and he quickly finds out that his invulnerability doesn't protect him from the Eye's mind control...

As always, click the thumbnails for a larger view.

Click for fullsize image

As always, comments, critiques or suggestions are very welcome.

[ November 15, 2009, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Space Cadet ]

--------------------
Readin' Legion since '62

From: Winnipeg | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
The dark pants are very much better! The trunks-over-tights look does *not* work in this format, IMO, and the less said about aqua tights combined with a leather jacket, the better. [Smile]

Traditionally, Jo ran with a street gang (or perhaps even led said gang) in his original origins, but you seem to be making a kid-friendlier origin, which is also cool. Working a gun-toting bountry hunter sort (who might provide a noir-ish 'mean streets' vibe, without quite so much mean) and a Green Lantern into it certainly mixes things up.

Some of those Empress shots in the other thread look nicely imperious. Very cool!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I really like the designs and the premise you've got going on for young Jo. My first reaction was to wish that you'd use existing characters to "play along" with Jo, but thinking about it, it's pretty cool to have new characters in those roles.

Here's hoping you do sequentials from the beginning of the story through the end!!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Mind control is a new power for the Eye?
Interesting!

I like your cast.
I don't know how difficult this format is, but you might consider having Jo alter the robot regularly, improving how it gets around, what it can do.
Sort of a sidekick in the making.

I think I'd like to see Jo with a male friend.
I loved Brin on Rimbor during the reboot and perhaps he'd be just as much fun here with Jo.
He'd make a great group leader that Jo does work for or something like that.

Brin might even have a girl member that he's taking care of, a phantom half cousin!
[Smile]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Cadet
Cadet

quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
Mind control is a new power for the Eye?
Interesting!

It was actually used in the animated series, so I'd thought I'd take advantage of it. [Wink]

[QB
I like your cast.
I don't know how difficult this format is, but you might consider having Jo alter the robot regularly, improving how it gets around, what it can do.
Sort of a sidekick in the making.

I think I'd like to see Jo with a male friend.
I loved Brin on Rimbor during the reboot and perhaps he'd be just as much fun here with Jo.
He'd make a great group leader that Jo does work for or something like that.

Brin might even have a girl member that he's taking care of, a phantom half cousin!
[Smile] [/QB]

Interesting ideas, thanks! I hadn't thought that far ahead about a supporting cast, those are very helpful.

--------------------
Readin' Legion since '62

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
See!
I totally didn't see the animated series!
[Frown]

I think it's a great extension of the Eye and makes sense.

I'm always 'helpful'.
sigh
Feel totally free, like most of the rest of the people I make suggestions to, and just ignore me.
[Smile]

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
great character set though the robot looks somewhat familiar. Agree with the above, dark pants, no underwear.

I really like the Emerald Empress as a major opponent for Jo.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Cadet
Cadet

It's been way, way too long. I'm starting to catch my breath a bit at work, and I'm planning on sneaking in a bit more Young Legion stuff over the next few weeks. First up is some Rimbor Adventure shots, specifically some origin shots and an early adventure or two.

I tried out a few different takes on the energy beast (I always think of it as composed of energy and thinly-spread matter, almost ghost-like, a beast that spends it's life away from stars and planets because their gravitational forces would tear it apart. It's not above snacking on small bits of matter and energy it comes across, like Jo and his speeder...

As always, click to enlarge.

Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

At this point, the energy beast is already draining the life out of his robot co-pilot...

Click for fullsize image

And we follow the ship's progress to the belly of the beast...

Click for fullsize image

--------------------
Readin' Legion since '62

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

LOVE the red, glowing beast!
He looks very space dragony, while having some wonderful water dinosaur details, especially the flipper ends to his legs.
The see the stars through him is beautiful.

Lovely work, all aroung.

--------------------

Come, join me!

lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Beautiful stuff!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Cadet
Cadet

Thanks guys.

I agree with you, Candle, though I thought the first energy beast was a little too "cloudy", and it renders much more slowly as well, so for now I'm probably going to stick with the second style of material, but to compromise, I'll make it more reddish and transparent.

Here's a couple of reddish energy beasts:

--------------------
Readin' Legion since '62

Space Cadet
Cadet

Had some time off today (it's a Civic holiday) so I took a quick swipe at doing a few screens of Young Ultra Boy's origin.

As mentioned before, I'm aiming it at all-ages, with a strong leaning towards a younger audience.

As always, click to enlarge...

--------------------
Readin' Legion since '62

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.