Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » The Book of Talok (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Book of Talok
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you so much, Dev. [Big Grin]

Next up: The JLA fanfics get their own thread, my personal views on the JLA over the past 50 years, and Green Arrow tells Mik and Bill a little story...

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read Amber Alert and really enjoyed it!
I loved how it was a lead-in to the Twilight story.
I've seen your lady of pus power somewhere, haven't I?
I think I have her picture saved, actually, it's a page from the Legion sighting thread, I think.
I'll go look.
(edit: here she is:
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
-- in "Green Lantern" #18, there's a black-haired, blue skinned woman in a black cape and bikini named Lyssa Drak of Talok IV. She's part of the Sinestro Corps and is the keeper of the "Book of Parallax"

Click for fullsize image[/QB][/QUOTE]

[ June 06, 2010, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you, Shady. Glad you enjoyed it. [Smile]

She's a bit of an obsession with me. I started a thread dedicated to her at Dr. Gymll's.

We will see more of her in this thread, and more of Lydea as we reconstruct the events that led to her current status (I believe her current status in the "real" DCU is that she's at large, at least I hope so, because I don't want her turning up in R.E.B.E.L.S. I fear what they may do to Lydea.)

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I was just pleased that I finally remembered that page and put that and your story character together.

The Drak site was wonderful!
NC did a marvolous thing, there!
sigh

I enjoy that her last name is 'Drak', a form of dragon, as is Dracula, so her teeth make sense.

Her costume is brief enough that maybe DC could leave her that way, since it seems to fit her personality and role.
Then, they could let Tasmia dress in something less revealing and still have their quota of blue skin!

And I agree with your story, I don't think she has Shadow Champion powers or she'd have used them.

It's interesting that with the 3 planets habitable in the Talokian system that one world has a shadow champion and one world has that other guy, Shade the Changing Man?
What does he do?
He has shadow powers of some sort, I think.

I wonder why VII Doesn't have a line of shadow nexus beings.
The Mallor's are the only ones with access to the Shadow Realm on VIII.
Is the Shade's family the holders of the power on III?

This is all pretty new to me.
[Shadow Lass]
[Umbra]
[Lyrissa Mallor]
[Lydea Mallor - Darkstar]
:lyssadrak:

I think Lydea Darkstar has a lot of story left in her if she's going to live up to her Dark Saga reputation.
So don't worry about her.
I don't think DC will just kill her off.
But, . . .

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Thanks, Shady. Yeah, with Levitz back at the helm of the LSH, Lydea's place in history seems pretty well assured now.

Maybe we'll get a Lydea appearance in Adventure Comics? Are you reading this, Mr. Levitz?

Talok III's champion is Mikaal Tomas, the current Starman. He has powers of light instead of shadow.

I never read Shade the Changing Man, so I don't know if he has any connection to Talok, but the morally ambiguous gentleman the Shade does have shadow powers.

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

He was connected to Umbra in a Legion Annual.
It's on a thread somewhere here, I saw it this last week.
But that's not in continuity anymore.
sigh

--------------------

Come, join me!

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm bouncing between reading and commenting so I don't miss a thing...

re: CHAPTER 3

Nicely told battle between GL and Despero. Good descriptions, very vivid!!

OOOF! I was feeling that impact with Mon-El. You can ask Set, I love it when the words make me 'feel' the action. Good job!

UH OH... Mon's under Despero control... our heroes are in T.R. Ouble!

Whoa-- who is THIS freaky chick?!?!

OK, on to part 4...

LYDEA?!? There's a backstory there waiting to be told!

OOOhh! Nice job! I never considered that Dr. Light really could take out a Daxamite or Kryptonian like that.

AHA! There's where it ties in... Lydea corrupted by Despero's mental powers... he's an ASS!!!

Stealthie, my only real complaint is it ended TOO SOON! [Smile] You could have totally Bendis'ed this one, it was a lot of fun!

Seriously though, the ability to tell a short, concise, satisfying story is SO LOST on many of today's writers.

You should give some lessons! Thank you.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

You're very welcome, Lash. And I thank you, because there are few things that warm my heart like seeing that somebody enjoyed my writing so much. [Hug]

Can't wait to find out what you think of all the stuff, fanfic and otherwise, that I've posted in the Justice League Apocrypha thread.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm definitely reading that today. I'm housesitting til this evening and have nothing but time!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

I really enjoyed the JLA story.
Poor Lar.
Knocked out twice!

I thought Dr. Light was pretty impressive!
Absorbing Lar's stored energy and blasting at Desparo was pretty good!

Donna was fun against Lydea, too.
I can't see Lydea winning a physical fight against Donna unless she sent her darkness into Donna's mind, something Umbra did, as well as Shady toward the end before Zero Hour.
And what Lydea did against Desparo!

Lydea might have used her mutant blasting shadow powers, too, but Desparo's mind control obviously interfered with her abilities and focus.

Dick is a sweetheart and a great Batman, I think.

This was a very interesting and satisfying story!
Thank-you for writing it and sharing it with us.
I was impressed with you when you were Stealth and I'm just as impressed with you as Fanfic Lass!

I can't wait for your next story!

--------------------

Come, join me!

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Awww.

To come home from work to such a wonderful post is indescribably uplifting.

Thank you so much, Shady. [Hug]

The next story, "Truly Super", is short but sweet, and it's already posted in the Justice League Apocrypha thread, where all future JLA fanfics will be.

I'm also working on a Lydea Mallor solo story for this thread. [Smile]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
FL, I dove into the Book of Talok this morning—and I’ve got to say, I love what I’m seeing so far! I read the first story (Katma Tui / Lyrissa) and the first part of your second story and plan to keep reading on; you’ll have to forgive me if I’m slow, as I’ll probably be doing the lion’s share when I’m at work on break or in transit. But I will get to them all. [Smile]

I didn’t realize the ‘Book of Talok’ would be a chronicles of various Talokian’s stories…and I absolutely love that premise! It’s great for the casual Bits reader like myself, and it opens such a wide range of possibilities. I wish DC would let you do these as a back-up to GL or REBELS or Strange Adventures or something.

First, the Lyrissa / Katma Tui exchange was really terrific and it’s an interaction I never considered before but just seems like such a natural thing that should have taken place in the DCU before Katma’s stupid death. You really showcase the strength of both women in an overt way and then in a subtle way. You also show they are vulnerable and deep—you seem to have a great handle on them both. The final sentence “and they never met again” is a kind of somber feeling that really provides a poignant sense of ‘what if?’ that adds another layer to the story. I liked it a lot!

The first part of the Mikaal Thomas story also has a great start and I feel like it gives us a chance to see the JLA that almost-was before it was changed five minutes after it formed. You establish every hero’s personality quickly by using the vote, a technique tried & true and always interesting. I like the inclusion of the Shade to kick things off (referencing that great Starman #50 story we’ve been talking about elsewhere on LW). I’m pretty interested to see where this is going! A Talok III vs. Talok VIII War is a solid idea that feels right at home in the context of DC’s historical space opera, and having the entire JLA involved with Mikaal as the star is exciting. I like how you had GL, GA and Cyborg vote no without seeming like dickheads about it—they have a valid point; but still acquiesce to the groups ultimate decision.

Great stuff!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^Finished up the JLA/War of the Taloks story this morning and I really enjoyed the heck out of it. It's been a long time since the JLA had a great space-opera story like that and I wish we could see one. I think Didio should hire you full-time to do space opera stories for them (you could rotate: JLA 4-parter, GLC, REBELS, etc.).

As I've told you in past fanfics, you really have a knack for doing great battle sequences. Where some writers would have Hal doing "point and shoot", you actually show Hal using his willpower and create some great visuals that would lend itself to an artist showing off their skills.

The real pleasure in this story was Lyddea's involvement and interaction with Mikaal. I totally want to see them have more team-ups! Given Lyddea's unnatural aging, I don't think a 'Mikaal & Lyddea having a baby years down the road' scenario is too far-fetched if in vitro fertilization or something was used (hey, this is sci-fi after all [Smile] ).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed feedback, Cobie. I'm particularly pleased that you -- as somebody who loves Ollie as much as I do -- think that he made a valid point and did not come off like a jerk.

Looking forward to finding out what you think of the stuff I've posted in the Justice League Apocrypha thread.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

So I'd like to re-activate this thread, but with the advent of the DCnU, I haven't a clue what to do! Or rather, it opens the door to lots of possibilites, and I'm having a hard time choosing.

Therefore, I'm asking all of you, what sort of stories would you like to read? Would you like to see Lydea in the DCnU (which would be tough, since I have very little familiarity with it), or in old-school DCU continuity, or should I just throw continuity out the window and just arrange the DC toys however I see fit? Most importantly, who do you want to see Lydea interact with?

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.