Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » My post-LO3W fanfic series! Latest update February 10: NEW MOON (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My post-LO3W fanfic series! Latest update February 10: NEW MOON
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I gotta catch up on this...hopefully this weekend.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
Thanks dude...I was wondering if people are actually reading these, so it's nice to have the feedback! [Smile]

I know Comet Queen's valley girl schtick gets on people's nerves, but for a gimmick character I think she's got a lot of spirit and she has an interesting powerset and visual; it's a shame she never made it onto the Legion (though I think she might have been one of the Academy recruits in the DnA Legion just before it all ended...)

Wow Razsolo ... you wrote these??? AWESOME stuff there bud, I am totally impressed! Yes I read them all and really, really enjoyed them!
You should seriously consider sending your stuff (if you haven't done so already) in to the BIG 2 companies and see where it goes.

I look forward to reading more.
[Smile]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
Dev Em: Everything after Time's Infection is more or less self-contained if that makes it easier; I am making a conscious effort to not get too tied up in continuity so you don't necessarily have to read every installment (though there will be more multi-parters thrown in every now and then too) [Smile]

future king: Thanks heaps! That's a great compliment! I actually did start doing my own superhero webcomic a while ago with my own characters, but didn't have time to give it as much energy as it deserved...I find I can either write or draw something, but can't really do both at a level I'm happy with.. [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
It's been a couple of weeks, have a Timber Wolf/Sensor Girl spotlight, folks!

This is the first of a two-parter, also sowing some seeds for future plotlines featuring some old-school Legion villains...

Enjoy!

TWISTED LEGACY Part 1: Shrouded Nostalgia

Countless billions of miles away from the rest of their team on Earth, Timber Wolf and Sensor Girl sat in orbit around the planet Lythyl.

They had spent the majority of their journey in a comfortable silence; Timber Wolf had never been the most loquacious Legionnaire and Sensor Girl was happy as often as not to keep her own counsel. There was something the burly hero had been wanting to raise with his regal comrade though, and finally he decided to just come out and say it. He turned from the ship's controls to face her.

"Jeckie...when we get down there, just stand back and let me handle any trouble, okay?"

Sensor Girl's mask hid her features completely, but there was no mistaking the annoyance in her reply. "Timber Wolf, I have been a Legionnaire more than long enough to face any challenge before me - frankly, I am offended that you feel otherwise."

Brin waved his hands before him in an exaggerated gesture. "No no, it's not like that! It's just...Val was your husband. It must be hard on you having to come on this stupid pointless mission to try and recruit some new kid that's not even worth his name..." His voice trailed off towards the end, fearing that his social ineptitude had just made things worse. "Sorry, I should just shut up."

Behind her mask, Projectra smiled. She knew that a lot of the team found Brin Londo's lack of finesse frustrating and she could certainly understand why at times, but there were other times when his blunt honesty was endearing. There were few people who dared to speak so openly to her since her transformation from Princess Projectra to Sensor Girl. That kind of relationship was one she sometimes missed. Sensor Girl touched her teammate's forearm gently.

"Never apologise for voicing concern," she replied more warmly than expected. "I will not lie, Timber Wolf. This task is not one that I am looking forward to. I feel that you are most likely correct, and this third Karate Kid will have no interest in following the tragic path of his predecessors. However, hope springs eternal...and I do understand why Cosmic Boy chose the two of us. As Val Armorr's wife and his closest friend, we have the closest ties to his legacy. If anybody is able to convince this young man to leave Lythyl's brutality behind, it must be us."

Timber Wolf grunted non-commitally. "I guess. Let's get this over with then." He turned back to the ship's controls again, making sure that it was adequately cloaked from passive scans. If anybody looked for the cruiser sitting in geosynchronous orbit over Lythyl's surface they would find it without too much effort, but the Legionnaires didn't expect anybody to actually search for it. The two heroes placed their telepathic earplugs in and left the cruiser's airlock. Protected from the rigors of their environment by their flight rings, they descended towards Lythyl together.

As they flew at great speed through the planet's filthy atmosphere, Sensor Girl almost casually wrapped the two heroes in a layer of illusion that was far more effective than the technology which cloaked their vessel. Nobody would know they were here until she wanted that to be known.

Their descent gave her time to ruminate on the task before them. It was too late now for regrets, but she couldn't help but think of the opportunities she had missed in the brief time the second Karate Kid had been associated with the Legion. Sensor Girl had found his presence to be a painful reminder of the only man she had ever loved, and she had made sure to keep her distance from him. Since Val's death, she had grown quite talented at maintaining a distance between herself and those around her.

She thought on her days as Princess Projectra, and wondered with a bittersweet nostalgia how she had managed to survive to become the person she was now. She had been so naive when she came to the Legion, so full of ideals and so lacking in comprehension of the real cost of the life she had chosen. She had lost her husband, her father...for now, her path with the Legion had even cost her Orando, the world she was born to lead. She wouldn't change a thing though. If she had learned anything from Val Armorr, it was the strength of conviction.

Sensor Girl returned her focus to the here and now as she and Timber Wolf landed inside the heavily fortified walls of Lythyl's Central Arena Complex. Observing the grotesque and battle-scarred forms of the warriors around them, she waited until nobody was facing their direction and then modified the illusion hiding herself and Brin to help them blend into the crowd easier.

In the place of two instantly recognisable Legionnaires now stood more generic barbarian fighters. Projectra wore a skin-tight black leather outfit which revealed as much flesh as it covered. Twin gargoyles adorned the top of her thigh high boots. The shoulder-length blonde hair of Sensor Girl was replaced by short stark-white spikes, and the look was completed by a torn and tattered cape. Looking over herself, she was struck with the realisation that she had subconsciously clothed herself in a twisted version of the iconic costume she had once worn as Princess Projectra.

Timber Wolf looked like an older version of the Brin Londo who had come to this reality with the rest of his Legion from Earth-247. Sensor Girl had been in the 21st Century during their most recent meeting, but she drew her inspiration from her own team's holographic records. Covered in coarse brown hair, a longer unkempt mane fell halfway down Brin's back giving him a truly animalistic appearance. With bright yellow eyes and pronounced fangs, his facial features had been made more canine. His fingernails elongated into nasty black talons, and the disguise was completed with a strong musky scent. Timber Wolf saw his reflection in a nearby puddle of water and felt a shudder of revulsion pass through him. He understood the necessity of this charade, but he had spent years denying himself his own humanity...he wasn't at all comfortable even pretending to lose it again.

"Let's go find this kid," he grunted darkly. He was surprised to hear his voice grow more gutteral he finished speaking until it degenerated into a low growl thanks to Sensor Girl's power.

Don't forget to use the telepathic earplugs for communication, Sensor Girl projected her thoughts calmly. We want to draw as little attention to ourselves as possible.

Right, Timber Wolf thought back to her. Sorry.

The two Legionnaires moved into the crowd, Timber Wolf keeping a protective watch over Sensor Girl as she used her own abilities to try and locate their quarry. Despite her earlier assurances, Brin wished that Sensor Girl hadn't come to this place. He took comfort in knowing that at least Ayla was spared this savage world...all around them fights broke out constantly, and over the slightest provocation. Violence was a tangible energy that permeated the very air they breathed. They could smell blood, hear the clang of metal upon metal, the sickening crack of broken bones. The worst part of it all was that some part of this sent adrenalin coursing through Timber Wolf like nothing else could. Some part of him wanted to lose himself in this, to let himself go in a way he rarely did as a Legionnaire.

I've found him, Sensor Girl announced.

She glanced at her teammate, slightly worried. She didn't know why, but she could sense his pulse racing, every muscle tensed and bursting for action. Distracted, Sensor Girl bounced off something right in front of her with a surprised gasp. She turned to face the obstacle before her and for a second couldn't help but stand slack-jawed in shock. Craning her neck, she looked into the sunken eyes of a gigantic yellow-skinned Khund. He was half-naked, his leathery skin covered in scars old and new. Each of his fists were larger than Sensor Girl's head, and at his hip was holstered a serrated blade almost the length of her torso. Instinctively Sensor Girl began to apologise but before she had uttered the first word, Timber Wolf hurled her to the ground.

Winded by the impact, Sensor Girl pouted angrily. Her anger faded quickly though when she saw that Brin had saved her life. The Khund had drawn his weapon and was slashing furiously at where she had been standing less than a second prior. He was moving faster than she could possibly hope to, and despite herself she was entranced by his speed and skill. Timber Wolf though...as fast as the Khund was, Timber Wolf was a blur. He moved in a vicious ballet, skirting the Khund's thrusts then grabbing his wrist with one hand and smashing his other elbow down at the same time. The tremendous force smashed bones in the Khund's hand, and he bellowed in fury as the knife flew aside.

Wasting no time, a nearby Talokkian reached for the blood-spattered blade for himself. Sensor Girl's face flushed warm red. She had recovered now, and she refused to allow this situation to degenerate any further. The merest use of her abilities had the Talokkian grasping at dust in confusion. She could see other fighters approaching though, and knew she had to act decisively. Sensor Girl closed her eyes for a moment to hone her concentration, and when she opened them again she had everyone around them running for cover from what they perceived to be a localised earthquake. They stumbled and fell to their knees, clawing their way over one another to escape the area.

The Khund warrior was too wrapped up in his battle with Timber Wolf to even notice...Brin was faster, but the Khund had more reach. Time to do something about that, the Legionnaire decided. Brin darted between the Khund's legs, braced himself on the rocky ground with both hands, and kicked at the back of the Khund's knees. Timber Wolf had already rolled into a standing position by the time his massive foe hit the ground and while the Khund was getting to his feet, Brin's balled fists pounded each side of his head. The Khund roared again, swaggering unsteadily on one knee. He tried to stand again, but one more mighty blow from the Legionnaire had him unconscious on the ground. Timber Wolf stood over his fallen enemy, his lips curled back in a feral snarl.

Composing himself, Brin wondered why they hadn't been swamped by other combatants when he suddenly realised everybody else was standing at a respectable distance from himself and Sensor Girl, watching in quiet awe. That wouldn't last long. Come on Jeckie, he projected at her forcefully. We have to move.

"I think it's too late for that," Sensor Girl replied aloud. She pointed, and Brin saw the crowd parting.

Striding through the motley assortment of brawlers that called Lythyl home, three figures came towards them. Lythyl's ruling council was comprised of three judges, and one of these was the subject of their quest. He was the third Karate Kid, the student of the man named Myg. He led this trio, exuding a serene confidence completely at odds with his surroundings. He was a young man, younger than either Brin or Projectra themselves had been when they first joined the Legion. His head shaved, his Asiatic features placid but firm, he wore a black headband and a red bodysuit covered in black arching patterns. Every step filled with unmistakable purpose, he led his triad directly to the disguised Legionnaires.

The second of the trio was an oddly familiar figure hidden beneath layers of clothing with a large hood obscuring his face...and behind both of them, a towering golem of a creature at least 15 feet tall. The ground tremored with each of its footfalls, glowering golden eyes peering out from a brown carapace of armoured flesh. The creature was unmarked save for a red five-pointed sigil on its massive torso.

"I watched your fight from my quarters," Karate Kid spoke, gesturing to an imposing tower beyond in which Sensor Girl had initially seen him. "You are quite a skilled warrior to have defeated Worokk so easily," he addressed Timber Wolf respectfully. He then turned to Sensor Girl, analysing her curiously. "And I would be interested to know what power you possess which has so effortlessly affected so many of our greatest fighters."

"We don't want any trouble," Timber Wolf answered, holding both hands up in a gesture of peace. "We're here to make you an offer, Kid."

Timber Wolf!! Sensor Girl shouted telepathically, cutting him off. Brin glared at her, surprised to see all color drained from her face. She was fixated on the hooded figure behind Karate Kid, her eyes wide in horror. Brin felt a sinking feeling deep in his gut.

The hooded man behind Karate Kid stepped forward, crouching down before the fallen Khund.

With his left hand he pulled the hood back over his shoulders, revealing an almost featureless black silhouette of a face inside a transparent round plastisteel bubble. His right hand, which until now had been closed in a fist inside his garments, stretched out towards the Khund. As Timber Wolf and Sensor Girl watched in mute shock, he lightly brushed the unconscious man with the glowing palm of his hand. The Khund was enveloped in a crackling violet aura for an instant before being completely disintegrated.

"Well well well, aren't you the popular one today?" the casual killer sneered at Karate Kid before narrowing his predatory gaze on Timber Wolf and Sensor Girl. "He's already accepted an offer...an offer to join the deadliest criminal team in the universe. But you two look like you have potential, and Mano's Fatal Five needs two more members.

What do you say, strangers?"

TO BE CONCLUDED!!

--------------------
postlo3w

razsolo
Substitute

The conclusion to the Twisted Legacy two-parter!

Fatal Five (kinda)! Legionnaires! Extreme violence! Lots of great stuff. [Big Grin]

TWISTED LEGACY PART 2: INITIATION

--------------------
postlo3w

razsolo
Substitute

Hey you guys, sorry it's been a while between updates - I have been coming up with an epic battle between the Legion and the Fatal Five (with a couple extra villains thrown in for good measure!)...it's a long one so I will just post the intro here - if you like it, check out the whole story by clicking on the link in my signature!

PRISON BREAK

Science Police Officer Kiffen Laul surveyed the damaged mess room, sweat stinging his eyes. He was weaponless. His friend and colleague lay bleeding at his feet. Laul could see at least that G'eith was still breathing, though if the fourteen hardened criminals standing around them had their way he didn't know how long that would last. The room was filled with the shattered remains of security droids, the work of the Braalian supervillain hovering before him on a magnetically propelled sheet of metal. This was certainly a worse than average day on the prison planet Takron-Galtos.

Magno Lad wore a smug grin as his outstretched palm closed into a fist. Officer Laul saw his firearm suspended in mid-air between them crumple into a dense ball of scrap, before Magno Lad allowed it to drop to the floor with an off-key thunk. "I'll ask you again, Officer," the blonde villain queried menacingly, "Which way to the hangar? We've been in this squajhole more than long enough and we want out."

Laul frowned defiantly. "Do what you want to me, but if you think I'm going to help you monsters escape Takron-Galtos you're all crazier than I thought."

"Wrong answer, screw." One of the other prisoners spat on the floor, approaching the officer with a stun baton he'd taken from a previous victim. Laul met the musclebound prisoner's eyes with a steel gaze, refusing to show any weakness even as the man lifted the baton in an upward swing.

Suddenly, before the prisoner could attack, a black and blue blur smashed him off his feet. The prisoner collided with two of his fellow inmates as Officer Laul watched the round projectile ricochet around the room at blinding speed. A moment later, Magno Lad and over half of the other prisoners were unconscious. The remaining five men were scattered around the room, picking themselves up with groans of pain. Bouncing Boy took a protective stance in front of the wounded Science Police officers, instantly deflated back to his normal proportions.

"You know, if you boys don't like the accommodations here there are less destructive ways of registering your complaint," Bouncing Boy quipped, ensuring that the criminals focused their attention solely on him.

"Are you sprockin' kidding me?" one of the prisoners snarled, baring teeth which had been filed down to fangs. "Bouncing Boy? They send sprockin' Bouncing Boy for a breakout on Takron-Galtos??"

"Not that I need the help for you slime," Chuck retorted, "But I didn't exactly come alone." He cocked a thumb toward the door, and with a rending sound from outside two giant hands tore the wall of the mess room in two. On one knee, Colossal Boy towered over the room's inhabitants as he peered down at them. Six copies of Duplicate Damsel flanked her giant-sized teammate in the air, and Chameleon Boy leaned casually against Colossal Boy's boot.

"It's gonna be okay Officers," Colossal Boy boomed, smiling.

"The Legion is here."

--------------------
postlo3w

razsolo
Substitute

New installment! I should say thanks at this point to Set for inspiring me with his awesome tryout pieces to do some of my own - this one is for anyone wondering what other superbeings on Bismoll might be like...

BILE
Cosmic Boy stood in Brainiac 5's multilab, silently watching his Coluan teammate dissect a scaled down three-dimensional holographic simulacrum of Validus. "Well, Brainy?" he finally asked, "Do we have any answers yet? How are half the Fatal Five back when they're meant to be dead? Why did the Eye of Ekron turn on the Emerald Empress and Tharok the way it did?"

"Hmm?" Brainiac 5 looked over to his team leader as though he didn't realise Cos had been standing there for the past twenty minutes. "Oh...yes. They're clones. Obviously. We know the Eye has exhibited something resembling cognizance in the past, possibly it realised the woman we had imprisoned on Takron-Galtos wasn't really its mistress once it had a quiet moment to analyse her fully." He turned back to poking at his work with delicate laser instruments.

"Clones..?" Cosmic Boy pinched the bridge of his nose. He could feel the beginnings of a migraine. "Well, I guess that explains Timber Wolf and Sensor Girl's reports of facing Mano on Lythyl while Element Lad and Lightning Lass were watching him die on Takron-Galtos....it doesn't make sense though! It's been years since we thought Tharok died! Why would he wait so long to make his move?"

Brainiac 5 turned again to give Cosmic Boy his undivided attention, this time visibly annoyed. "Cosmic Boy. Tharok, the Emerald Empress and the Persuader are all fairly average physical examples of their respective genotypes. Mano and Validus on the other hand...I project it would take me weeks of devoted research to be able to produce cloned replicas of them. Tharok, while he is a genius by most standards, is not in possession of my 12th level intellect. I imagine this must have been a far more time-consuming task for him. As some Legionnaires witnessed for themselves, it is not a task he has perfected. His versions of Mano and Validus both degenerated at an accelerated rate, and if you can manage to stop badgering me with questions some time today, I may even be able to find out exactly what his reproductive errors were."

Cosmic Boy threw up his arms in mock defeat. "Okay Brainy, you've made your point....let me know when you're done." Rokk left Brainiac in his lab. As disturbing as he found it that the Fatal Five were back, a large part of him was relieved to hear that Validus was not in any way Garridan Ranzz. He looked forward to telling Imra and Garth the good news - they had both put on a brave face since the mysterious reappearance of the creature, but he knew it must be weighing on their minds.

Rounding a corner, he walked straight into Saturn Girl and Lightning Lass. "I was just about to come looking for you," Rokk smiled after exchanging apologies with them. "Brainy tells me that Validus was a clone -- as far as we know, all of the Fatal Five have been cloned. Not good news for the team, because I'm sure that wasn't the last time we'll see any of them, but it's nice to know we don't have to worry about Garridan."

Saturn Girl gave a reserved if sincerely relieved smile while Lightning Lass whooped. "About time something went right for our family!" she shouted, punching the air. "Thanks, Rokk!"

"We were actually looking for you," Saturn Girl announced in a more quiet tone. "Garth left Takron-Galtos alone and he hasn't come back yet. It's been days, Rokk. I'm getting worried."

"Mekt sent him on some wild goose chase," Ayla added in disgust. "Saturn Girl and I are going to pay my psychotic brother a visit in jail and find out exactly what he said."

"Thanks for letting me know before you left," Cosmic Boy replied, touching both their arms. "Good luck, let me know if you need backup."

As he watched the two women walk away, a part of Cosmic Boy envied them their task. In some ways, he would much rather have to face Lightning Lord than perform his next task.

It was time for the Legion Tryouts.

Weisinger Plaza was filled with thousands of hopefuls as well as several media pods offering commentary on this, the first Legion Tryout in a number of years. Just before the entrance to the Legion's iconic headquarters, hidden behind an opaque forcefield dome which had been erected both for security and privacy reasons, ten Legionnaires sat evenly spaced apart in two tiers of seating. The first tier housed Night Girl, Shadow Lass and Phantom Girl gossiping amongst themselves. Phantom Girl's left hand rested on Ultra Boy's shoulder next to her as he made conversation with Tyroc. On the second tier, Cosmic Boy was flanked on the left by Dream Girl and Star Boy with Blok and Timber Wolf on his right. A monitor had been set up in the Legion's recreation room for any other team members interested in the day's proceedings, and a live feed was being streamed through the flight ring communications channel for anybody away from base. The team was as prepared as it was ever going to be. With that in mind, he advised Computo to admit the first applicant.

The young man standing before the ten Legionnaires presented himself with admirable confidence. He stood with his fists on his hips, chest puffed out before him. He wore a costume of khaki green and mustard yellow, with the Interlac letter B emblazoned in gold across his torso. Some of the Legion scanned the brief bio he had provided Computo, while Cosmic Boy asked him to identify himself.

"The name is Bile and I came here today from Bismoll," he enthused. "You won't regret giving me this opportunity, Legionnaires!"

"Bismoll?" Timber Wolf huffed. "We don't need another Matter-Eater Lad."

Bile scowled, obviously put out by Timber Wolf's brusque attitude. "Any Bismollian can eat things," he retorted. "I come with the added power of super-corrosion."

"Well that's something we don't have yet," Phantom Girl smiled encouragingly.

"Yes," Shadow Lass added in support of her friend. "Maybe we should see what he can do before we judge him?" She flashed Timber Wolf an annoyed glare as she finished her statement.

"Shadow Lass is right," Cosmic Boy interjected before they could get sidetracked. He pressed a button on his console and two droids levitated up from hidden panels in the floor on either side of the startled applicant. "The combat droids are programmed not to cause you any real harm. We just need to see what you're capable of, Bile."

The Bismollian regained his composure quickly, signifying his assent with a nod as he backed away slowly from the advancing droids. Turning to the one on his right he made a sickly retching sound...just as the gathered heroes were beginning to realise how he'd come up with his codename, Bile expelled a stream of thick noxious green-yellow vomit. The viscous liquid soaked the artificial construct and the air filled with a hissing sound as the droid quickly melted away. What was left clanked to the floor, where it too soon dissolved into nothing in the pool of Bile's bubbling vomit.

Adapting to the perceived threat, the remaining automaton gagged Bile with a chrome tendril. Bile bit straight through the restraint and swallowed it with a few chomps. Wiping his mouth with the back of his glove, he spun on his heel and began again with the dry retching sound that had preceded his earlier attack.

"That's enough!" Cosmic Boy shouted, his voice perhaps slightly more high-pitched than normal. He cleared his throat before deactivating the assessment and summoning for cleanup.

Bile faced the Legionnaires, disappointed that his tryout had ended so suddenly. Most of the team were a sickly shade paler then their normal complexion, and Phantom Girl and Dream Girl both covered their mouths and noses in horror as they tried not to breathe the toxic smelling air. "I've got more!" he volunteered. Unnoticed by the would-be hero, he still had a string of mucus dripping from his lower lip and burning a hole through his glove.

"No, no, that's - that's fine, we've seen enough." Cosmic Boy inhaled deeply as the environmental filters began to pump fresh air around them all. "Thanks for your time today, but we - we don't think you're really Legion material."

"Well, it's your loss!" Bile shouted. "You losers don't know what you're missing out on!" Before anybody else could speak, he stormed out cursing.

A shrill beep alerted Cosmic Boy that he had an incoming message. Sighing, he opened a channel and was immediately greeted with the sound of Matter-Eater Lad's uncontrolled laughter. Rokk shook his head and shut the channel off again.

It was going to be an awfully long day.

--------------------
postlo3w

razsolo
Substitute

Picking up on some oooooold plot threads! Also, again the first bit is an ongoing subplot with Imra and Ayla which is unrelated to the tryout story in the second half. Hope people are enjoying this!

Link to the rest of the series can be found in my sig, feedback is welcome! [Smile]

TAKRON-GALTOS
Isolation Cell A37

Mekt Ranzz hung suspended in his dingy cell, massively oversized manacles siphoning the electrical force from his outstretched limbs with an audible hum. The manacles dwarfed his own muscular body, feeding a glut of tendril-like cables that disappeared into the dark corners of the room. With no small bitterness, the man named Lightning Lord assumed the prison planet was using his power for their own purposes. He took solace in knowing they would pay though. Freedom from this hellish place had been so close recently, there was no doubt in his mind that it was only a matter of time. Then they would all pay...the Science Police, the Legion of Superheroes, and most of all his treacherous younger siblings.

Interrupting his train of thought, the door to his cell creaked open. The light outside was blinding at first - a deliberate tactic to keep him off-balance. But as his vision slowly adjusted, he saw the silhouettes of his two slender visitors before him. He could guess already who they were, even before he could discern the finer details of their faces and costumes.

"Ayla," he said with a tight-lipped smile, "I was wondering when you'd come calling...and I see you brought your sister-in-law with you."

Lightning Lass and Saturn Girl walked into the cell and Lightning Lass came within a few inches of her brother's face. Her arms were folded across her chest and her expression was grim. "This isn't a social visit, Mekt," she said coldly. "We know you spoke to Garth, what did you tell him?"

Mekt answered his sister with a harsh laugh. He looked her blue and white bodysuit up and down, golden lightning insignia breaking the colors up. Lightning Lord's clear blue eyes were filled with menace. "I see you changed your costume to look more like his again, little sister. Independent streak wore off? You decided to go back to being his dutiful twin again?"

Ayla's own blue eyes flashed with electric light for the briefest of instants, but she knew that Mekt was deliberately goading her. He was trying to make her attack him directly, give him the added power he would need to break free of his restraints. She had let him manipulate her too many times to fall for that again. "I already told you," she replied, "this is not a social visit. Now what did you tell Garth? Where is he?"

Mekt laughed again, and shook his head as if enjoying a private joke. White strands of hair dangled before his face, obscuring his features. "I sent him on...a mission, little sister. One that you'll find out about soon enough. I think I'll keep the surprise for now though...it must be driving you crazy that you're being kept out of the loop. Well, now you know how I've felt all those years, being without a twin. Being alone--"

"No offence Lightning Lord, but I'm sure I've heard this particular rant only about half as often as Ayla has." This voice was Saturn Girl's, and her tone was all business. "Lord knows I'm sick of hearing it, so I can only imagine how she must feel." She stepped up beside Ayla and touched her fingers to her temples, staring deep into Mekt Ranzz's shadowed eyes. "We only asked in order to be polite, but we don't need your permission to find out what insane errand you've sent my husband on.

Now shut up and let me think."

EARTH
Weisinger Plaza, outside the headquarters of the Legion of Superheroes

Cosmic Boy raised an eyebrow as he called on the next Legion applicant. "Kid...Computo?"

A young African girl walked in to face the judging panel. She wore a red and white bodysuit with a large visible seam down the front, and a red jacket half-zipped over that. The sleeves of her jacket were rolled up to her elbows, revealing bare skin and red gloves. Large golden hoops dangled from her earlobes, and her afro had artificial honey-colored highlights.

Dream Girl recognised the girl instantly. "You're Invisible Kid's sister," she announced by way of greeting. "Looking to follow your brother into the Legion, Danielle?"

"That's my hope," Danielle replied with what she hoped was the right blend of confidence and humility. She hoped none of the sheer terror she was feeling came through at all.

"Jacques only has his powers thanks to Lyle Norg's invisibility serum though," Phantom Girl continued. "What can you bring to the Legion?"

"My power is cyber-empathy," Danielle explained, "Admittedly it doesn't sound that impressive compared to what some of you can do...maybe I should just show you?"

There was a moment of awkwardness as some Legionnaires asked themselves if they really wanted to see what she could do; her last interaction with the team had nearly killed the lot of them. Cosmic Boy defused the tension and took charge of the situation. "...Certainly. Prepare yourself, Kid."

Two combat droids rose from hidden panels at either side of the teenaged girl. Before they had a chance to do anything at all however, they felt her power and fell inactive to the ground. Danielle's heart continued to pound. She knew the test couldn't be this simple.

She was right.

"Very impressive," Cosmic Boy granted her. "If you're going to be a Legionnaire though, you won't just be facing automatons. Time for round two....Timber Wolf, Ultra Boy?"

Obligingly, both men entered the arena to face Danielle. "Relax," Jo gave her a cocky grin. "We're just gonna restrain you. Jacques would have a fit if we hurt his baby sister."

While her concentration was focused on Jo, Brin cleared the distance between himself and Danielle with one powerful leap. She didn't even see him move until he was almost on top of her, and despite herself she let out a frightened squeak as she stumbled backwards. Timber Wolf landed directly in front of her, her mind desperately searching for some way to confront him. "Don't feel too bad," Brin laughed as he reached for her arm. "You didn't stand a chance against a real fighter, kid."

Seeing the light gleam off of Timber Wolf's flight ring, Danielle was struck with inspiration. "Maybe not," she agreed with the seasoned Legionnaire, "But then I don't have to fight you to beat you, Timber Wolf." Before his fingers could close around her forearm, Brin Londo suddenly flew backwards at great speed. He smashed into Ultra Boy, knocking the two men off their feet.

"Using our flight rings against us?" Ultra Boy noted while Timber Wolf was still trying to figure out what had happened. "Nice tactic...if we're wearing them." He made a point of removing his own flight ring and flicking it to Tinya, then shifted his ultra-energy into flight and advanced on Danielle.

"Don't worry," she retorted, warming to this game, "I'm just getting started, Ultra Boy." With his power diverted to flight, Jo was helpless against the barrage of tasers from the newly reactivated combat droids. He skidded across the floor with a grunt of pain, coming to a halt at Danielle's feet. The droids turned on Timber Wolf next, but he had already recovered from his earlier surprise. Taking Ultra Boy's lead, he discarded his flight ring and easily evaded the tasers with his heightened agility. Frowning, Danielle had one of the droids reach out to him with a mass of tendrils, which Brin simply grabbed and used to swing the droid into its partner with enough force to smash both of them into scrap metal. He jumped across to Danielle again, and grabbed her firmly by both arms.

"You were saying?" Brin teased.

Danielle simply released a sigh of disappointment as her shoulders slumped in defeat. "Okay, okay....you win."

As Ultra Boy picked himself up with a groan and met Phantom Girl's worried expression with a shame-faced smile, Cosmic Boy announced an official end to the tryout and asked Kid Computo to wait while the Legion discussed her application. As soon as a secondary privacy screen was erected to separate them from her, the Legion burst into discussion about the girl's merits.

"I don't like it," Shadow Lass piped up. "Computo has had this whole team on the brink of defeat on more than one occasion, and now we're going to admit a Legionnaire who has the same powers and even the same name?"

Tyroc raised both hands in protest. "Woah, woah, you're going to judge her because she has the same powers as one of our enemies? Isn't that a little prejudiced, Tasmia? He's not even a threat anymore! This is the same Computo we currently use for housekeeping, right?"

"You don't understand," Phantom Girl answered her teammate's concern, her voice unusually soft. "Computo nearly ended Triplicate Girl's career...he nearly killed us and this whole planet. Just thinking about it gives me the shivers."

Ultra Boy gave Tinya a squeeze of support. "For what it's worth, her reaction time is great for someone who's never actually been in a brawl - and she seems like a nice smart kid. She may have Computo's powers, but she definitely doesn't have his sparkling personality."

"I'm going to vote in favor of admitting Danielle to the team," Dream Girl chose her words carefully. "We can't do anything about where she gets her power from, and in all honesty I'd much rather have her somewhere we can keep an eye on her.
Besides," she finished, looking at Blok, "It isn't as if we have no precedent for finding great heroism in former foes."

Blok nodded slowly and agreed in a creaking voice. "I am willing to give her a chance, my friends...our destiny is not decided by our origins..."

"Right on," Tyroc chimed in, a defensive tone in his voice. "She has power we can use, she wants to do the right thing with it, I don't see the problem."

Cosmic Boy spoke up bluntly. "No. I'm going to thank her for her time and call the next applicant."

The Legionnares traded glances with one another until Night Girl challenged Cosmic Boy's decree. "Rokk...you can't just decide that. The Legion is a team."

"It's too dangerous," Rokk continued flatly. "Her abilities are too subtle to provide any real offence or defence in the field, and I'm not going to bring another Legionnaire's sibling into this team to die."

Dream Girl leaned across Star Boy, visibly annoyed. "Cosmic Boy, Night Girl is right. You know she's right. This isn't your decision, it's the team's. Besides which, her power is easily more offensive than her brother's, or even mine for that matter! Are we suddenly unsuitable for membership too? Are you going to come down on everybody who can't bench press a cruiser?"

Cosmic Boy scowled silently, staring at his clenched knuckles. "Fine," he eventually said without looking anyone in the eye. "Enough discussion then, let's vote."

Minutes later, Kid Computo was shaking hands with the gathered Legionnaires, beaming a wide grin.

She thanked them all profusely for the opportunity they had given her as the Legion's newest recruit, finishing with Cosmic Boy. He congratulated her stiffly but before they could converse any further, Dream Girl placed a shimmering chrome glove on Kid Computo's shoulder. "Danielle?" she asked, Star Boy standing right behind her, "Why don't Thom and I take you to meet some of the others inside while Computo cleans up Timber Wolf's mess? I think we might need all need a short break anyway." Nura gave Night Girl a surreptitious glance before escorting Danielle away.

As Star Boy and Dream Girl walked off with their newest recruit, Night Girl approached Cosmic Boy. As tactfully as she could with the others milling about, she asked how he was feeling.

"I'm fine," he answered with slightly too much emphasis. "You were right to argue with me. The Legion always comes first, I should know that by now." He continued scanning Kid Computo's file, subtly indicating the conversation was over.

Lydda opened her mouth to speak, but then closed it again silently. This wasn't the time or place for it, but soon...soon they would need to have this out.

She walked away from the others, lost in her own thoughts.

--------------------
postlo3w

razsolo
Substitute

Hey folks! Don't know if anyone is actually interested in this, it has been a few months since I put the last post in here, but here is the latest chapter in my LSH fanfic - it's a neat little done-in-one character piece about them getting a new leader.

(If you wanna read the rest of the series in order, there's a link in my signature)

NEW MOON
Sun Boy walked into the Legion of Superheroes' monitor room to begin his shift. He had expected to find Ultra Boy there waiting for him, but was surprised to also find Night Girl poring over the mission monitor board.

"Did Computo screw up the duty roster again?" Dirk Morgna smirked. "I thought it was my turn to sit around being bored for hours?"

"Hello Sun Boy," the Kathooni heroine replied, obviously distracted. "No, I'm just looking for Cosmic Boy....let me see, Tyroc and the new recruits are en route back from Aleph...Dawnstar's taken a team to track down the Takron-Galtos escapees...Chameleon Girl's squad is halfway to Durla by now...Rokk hasn't returned any of my messages since he decided to step down as leader this afternoon, I'm a little concerned about him...darn it, where is he?"

"I'll let him know you're looking for him if I hear from him," Sun Boy reassured his teammate. "He's a big boy though Lydda, I wouldn't worry too much about him. It was past time for a new election anyway, I've already cast my vote for Mon-El."

"Hey, me too!" Ultra Boy joined the conversation. "Great minds, huh? Who did you vote for, Night Girl?"

"I haven't voted for anyone yet," she sighed. "To be honest, I think Cosmic Boy is the best leader we could ask for. If Rokk doesn't want to do it though, I suppose that's his choice. If you do speak to him Sun Boy, I would appreciate you passing on the message - thank you. I'll see you two later." Lydda gave them a gracious smile and left the room.

Once she had left the room, Ultra Boy released a long whistle. "Can you believe Cos let a girl like that go?" he asked, shaking his head slowly. "Crazy!"

"I don't know, buddy," Dirk retorted. "Night Girl's nice enough, but too intense for me! I like my ladies to be a little more relaxed, y'know?"

Jo laughed as he got up to leave. "A second date is too intense for you...speaking of which, I've got some people to call so I'll catch you around. You know how hard it is planning a mystery date for your girlfriend when she's on the Espionage Squad? Sometimes I think it'd be easier trying to surprise Dream Girl!" The two men shared a chuckle and Jo left Sun Boy to his own devices.

In one of the base's many hallways, Night Girl passed Quislet and Polar Boy arguing.

"Quislet vote for fun!" the extra-dimensional creature shrilled. "Other Legionnaires vote for boring!"

"It's not boring!" Polar Boy threw his hands up in the air, exasperated. "Night Girl, would you please help me explain to Quislet why it's important that the best candidate is nominated leader?"

"The best candidate will be nominated leader," Lydda answered diplomatically. "They always have been before."

"He wants to vote for Matter-Eater Lad!" Polar Boy exclaimed. "Can you believe it?"

"Not want to vote," Quislet interrupted, flying his micro-ship around until it was directly in front of Brek's face, "Quislet already cast vote!"

"Does Tenzil even want to be leader?" Night Girl asked incredulously, one eyebrow raised.

"Doesn't matter!" Quislet replied utterly joyfully. "Done now!" He zipped off before either of the others could retort, leaving Polar Boy to fume helplessly.

"Honestly," Brek frowned, tiny icicles forming on his eyebrows, "I don't know what goes through whatever passes for a brain inside that ship!"

"Polar Boy, have you seen Cosmic Boy?" Lydda asked, changing the subject. She didn't understand Quislet any better than Polar Boy did, but it didn't seem to bother her nearly as much.

"Hmm? Oh..no, sorry. I'll keep an eye out for him though."

Lydda sighed. "Thanks...I guess I'll keep looking then."

"No problem," Brek passed her, then stopped and turned back. "Hey, who did you vote for anyway?"

"You know, I haven't really given it much thought," she answered honestly. "You?"

Without hesitation, Polar Boy replied. "Mon-El."

In a dimly lit room filled with eerie golden statues, Rokk Krinn stood lost in introspection. His brother loomed over him, both literally and figuratively. As Magnetic Kid, Pol Krinn had joined the Legion to follow in Rokk's footsteps, and he had made the ultimate sacrifice any Legionnaire could make. Not a day went by that Rokk wasn't acutely aware of his brother's absence in his life, and not a day went by where he didn't blame himself for Pol's death.

"Rokk?" Lydda entered the memorial chamber softly. "Sorry if I'm intruding, Computo told me you were here."

Cosmic Boy straightened up, hands folded across his chest. "It's fine, Night Girl. How can I help you?"

"I just..." Lydda had been searching the entire building for him before she stumbled across Computo, but now that they were here alone she was terrified. Unable to meet his gaze, she forced herself to continue. "...I just wanted to make sure that you're okay. I spoke to Imra and Garth before, both of them were as surprised as I was to hear that you'd stepped down as leader."

"I took the reins when it was necessary," Cosmic Boy answered impersonally, as though he weren't talking to the woman who had been his lover for years. "When Earth-Man nearly destroyed us, there was no choice. Now that the Legion is back on its feet though, the team deserves to decide its leadership for itself. It's the right thing to do."

"What if we want you to lead us?" Lydda implored. This time she looked up, her deep blue eyes catching Rokk's and refusing to let go.

Cosmic Boy sighed. There was a tension between them that was almost unbearable and a silence compounded by the stillness of the statues surrounding them. "Night Girl," he said finally, "I'm tired. I don't want to lead any more. I'm not leaving the Legion, the Legion is like..." His eyes darted again to the imposing figure of Magnetic Kid standing over them. "..The Legion is very important to me. But the best way I can help the Legion right now is to let someone else lead them, someone else with the drive to help them succeed. I've already cast my vote for Mon-El. My decision is made. You have to accept it."

Night Girl felt as though her heart were breaking. Call me Lydda, she wanted to scream at him. Why won't you call me Lydda??

But his words were hanging in the air like something tangible.

My decision is made.

You have to accept it.

"I understand." Her voice sounded too weak to her. She cleared her throat and continued. "Then let's get this over with. Not that I think my opinion makes a difference at this stage but if someone else is going to run this team, I think it should be a girl. I'm voting for Duplicate Damsel." She pulled her omnicom out of one of the pouches on her belt and tapped in her selection.

*breep*Final vote lodged, Computo's voice filled the room abruptly. Please hold for official tally.

"Let me guess," Night Girl muttered sarcastically. "Mon-El, right?"

*breep* Incorrect, Computo chided. *breep* As of 1925 hours local time, Mon-El is the new deputy leader of the Legion of Superheroes with 8 votes. Beginning her term as leader with 9 votes is Night Girl *breep*

Night Girl was stunned. "M-me!?"

"Looks like you weren't the only one who thought it was time for a female leader," Despite his dour mood, Cosmic Boy gave Night Girl a genuine smile.

"Congratulations, chief!"

[ February 10, 2011, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: razsolo ]

--------------------
postlo3w

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.