Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » The Devil and The Bug...Adventures in fun...and danger

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Devil and The Bug...Adventures in fun...and danger
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
This is adapted form something I did years ago.

It will now involve Dan Cassidy (The Blue Devil) and Irwin Schwabb (Ambush Bug).

I am setting this as it is happening now in the DCU, and ignoring that both have existed before. It'll use mostly current continuity, with whatever tweaks I choose to throw in. n other words: if I use a dead character...I don't care.

[ September 06, 2010, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Dev Em ]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Dan Cassidy tossed his keys to the valet and calmly walked into the restaurant.

He was late, he knew he was late, and he had stopped and picked up some flowers to try to begin to make up for it. It had been an unavoidable situation. Marla Bloom, his producer, had him stuck in a meeting with the director of the newest movie he was going to star in. The director of "The Blue Devil" was a slightly annoying man, but he had good ideas and a genuine respect for Dan and his brief Hollywood career.

As Dan looked around the restaurant for his table, he thought of how his life had changed over the last five years. He had gotten a huge break five years ago. He had taken a huge chance quitting USC after just one semester and trying out as an extra for a martial arts movie. He quickly caught the attention of the stunt coordinator, and was moved into a very important non-speaking part. He had also caught the eye of the producer/director of the film, Marla Bloom.

Marla had given up her career as a director and focused on being a producer. She had taken Dan under her wing, and created one of the most bankable actor/stuntmen in Hollywood.

Marla had gotten him some acting classes, and had gotten him more training as a stuntman, and even hired the best in the business to hone his martial arts expertise.

Dan was a bonafide star after just two more movies. The public knew his name even if that didn't really know what his face looked like, as he was usually in prosthetics or some other kind of bizarre outfit. One television critic had made this comparison on his weekly show: "When I think of Dan Cassidy, I think of Jim Carrey mixing with Jackie Chan, and that's just the beginning."

Marla and Dan had taken the time and assembled the best Hollywood stunt/effects crew ever seen. Most of them had been with them since day one. The crew was generally found hanging out at their office/warehouse on the studio lot, working on whatever project was coming up next.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eddie Bloomberg was a typical 16-year old kid. At least, as typical as a kid can be when they know most of the hottest Hollywood stars.

Eddie sat in his aunt's office. He had always been around his Aunt Marla, and he had always been a fixture on the Verner Brothers studio lot. Aunt Marla had raised him since he was three years old. His parents had died in an accident shortly before his third birthday. It took a couple months, but Marla was able to convince the judge that she should have custody of Eddie.

"Aunt Marla?" Eddie said.

"Yes dear?"

"I say some guy coming out of Mr. Sackings office the other day."

"A lot of people come and go from there dear..."

"Yeah, I know that, but this guy was different. He was yelling something about him delivering something...or else."

"Really?"

"Yep."

"Do you know if it was Frank or Carter in the office?"

"Pretty sure I only saw Carters' car there."

"Thank you sweetie."

Marla loved having her nephew on the lot with her. He saw things that others didn't...or wouldn't want to mention.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel Cassidy walked over to his reserved table and sat down across from Sharon Scott. Sharon was a movie star of some fame. Not quite on the Cameron, Demi, or Reese level, but recognizable enough to the public. This date marked their one-year anniversary of being a couple. They had met on the set of a movie they both worked on. He began his well-rehearsed excuse, "Sorry I'm late honey, but Marla . . . " He was cut off in mid excuse as the phone on his hip began to ring. He looked at Sharon across the table and gave her the best puppy dog eyes he could. "I'm sorry," he said looking at the phone. "I have to take this one."

"No problem, Danny," Sharon said as she smiled and rolled her eyes in mock frustration.

Dan looked at her with a hurt look on his face as he answered the phone. "What's going on? Tell me something good!"

Sharon could not hear what the man on the other end was saying to Dan, but she could tell that it was good news. Danny was smiling that Cheshire grin of his. He always looked like a kid that had just gotten away with something when he was really happy.

"That's great. Marla should be quite pleased with that. Where did you say you were?" Dan motioned for a pen, and once she handed him one, started writing on an unused napkin. "Alright, say it again...slower...you're on the Caribbean island of Ile Du Diable. How do you spell that?"

Sharon could hear the man say something and then Danny hung up the phone. "What did he say?" she asked after Danny finished scribbling a few notes on the napkin.

"He said that you're going to love it there," he said as he looked up at her. "It's got great sunbathing weather."

She looked at him, got a little grin on her face and laughed.

"That . . . and I need to get in touch with some guy whose supposedly supposedly the one of the best swordsmen in the world, or at least in California, and with the

fighting I have to do in the movie, he thinks this guy can help. Besides, he's gonna be checking out the ruins for the next few days, so he can't get in touch with him."

"Sounds like fun."

"Loads. Shall we order?"

Frank Sackings was driving along the coast when his cell phone rang.

"Sackings here, what's happening?"

"Frank, this is Marla. There's a problem. I need you in the office as soon as possible."

"Will do, Marla. It'll have to be tomorrow though. I'm up the coast on some business right now, and can't get back," Frank said as a stressed look formed on his face.

"Alright then. But make it as early as possible. It involves your brother."

Frank put the phone down and shook his head. Now what was his brother getting him into?

Early the next day, Dan drove his truck onto the Verner Brothers lot and parked outside the office/workshop/warehouse that they had received with their package deal with the studio.

Dan looked over at the deceivingly small looking man sitting in the big chair in front of the large wall of televisions. "You're obsessed," he said. "You know that don't you? You are not a healthy man."

Irwin looked up from the screen that he had been staring at for over an hour. "There are worse things in life," he snapped, "like having to listen to him rant on about his latest inventions."

William looked up from the suits right wrist gauntlet, where he was finishing the installation of Dan's newest idea and shook his head and went back to work.

"True...but Bill helps us make our money, and you just obsess about these heroes in the news. It can't be healthy for one person to watch the sheer amount of television that you do."

"And I don't help make money?" Irwin ranted, almost shouting. "I get the best shots of anyone in the business! Did you know that I got three more calls yesterday? Three, and those were just the ones the Sackings brothers told me about!"

"Irwin, calm down. I'm just messin with ya...jeez," Dan said, starting to laugh. "No more caffeine for you. You're just gonna pop, or go poof one day."

"Oh . . . "

Dan walked over to where Bill was working and motioned Irwin to follow. "Alright, here's the deal. This thing has to be up for the climate of a Caribbean island and a desert."

Bill looked at him and nodded. "Shouldn't be too much of an issue. I already figured for the wetter climate, in fact, you could probably go swimming in this thing for a short period. So the desert wind and sand shouldn't be much more than sealing a one or two more systems. Oh, and I've gotten the strength output up to about 20x plus, with an acceptable amount of strain on the mechanics. The eyes have the glow thing Marla talked about. I know it wasn't officially decided whether the suit should do it or if CGI was going to be used, but I figured that if I added some protective lenses, the flash effect won't harm your eyes at all. I also have an idea to put in the Trident...it'll save the CGI boys a ton of work. You're going to be a flying tank in this thing Dan"

Dan smiled and looked over at Irwin. "Irwin, my little bug, I need you to get in touch with Norm and get the latest digital cameras and see if you can do your thing with them."

Irwin grinned a toothy grin. "Whoop. Sure thing, but will Norm just give me the camera?"

Irwin knew that Norm Paxton, the senior cinematographer that Marla used for her movies, was very protective about is equipment. He knew that Irwin could mimic just about any technology that he was given at an almost microscopic level, and he was amazed at the man's abilities. The thing was, he was still protective of his regular sized cameras.

"He's going to have to have to go out to the Airwalker Compound and buy one. Actually, have him buy two of them, one for you to mess with and one for him to use. That should settle his nerves a little. Oh, and go with him this time to see if you can pick up on anything else they're doing, and try not to upset the big G-man this time. "

"I swear to God that wasn't my fault...whoop."

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Part 2
------------------------------
Frank pulled his car into his assigned parking spot. He got out and looked up at the sky. It was a nice day out, and hopefully it was going to stay that way.

He pushed open the front door, and made his way towards Marla's office. He figured that he might as well get this out of the way first thing. He wondered if she had found out what Eric was planning on doing during the movie shoot. There was only one way to find out.

"Marla," he said as he entered her office, "how are you doing this beautiful morning?"

Marla looked up from her desk where she had looking at a ledger printout. "You're right Frank, it is a beautiful day. Let's see if we can't keep it that way . . . hmmmm."

"What do you mean?"

"I want you to answer something for me," she said as she got up from her chair. "What's going on between your brother and Mr. Jameson?"

Simon swallowed hard involuntarily.

----------------------------------------------

Sapphire Stagg was having the same argument that she always had with her father. She wanted to do something, and he never wanted her to get to far from him.

"I don't like the idea of you jaunting off to the Caribbean for the movie thing," Simon Stagg said in a fatherly tone. "I just don't want you to get into trouble out there."

"Daddy, that's what you say about every movie I do, and I always come home without a scratch."

"I'm not being unreasonable, child."

"I'm not a child anymore, father. I'm 25, and I'm going to make this movie," she said as she stormed out of his office.

Simon looked to his bodyguard Java and spoke to the point. "Well, I knew there would be no dissuading her. How did I miss that she was going to be trying out for this movie. I want you to insure that no harm comes to her. You know what dangers lurk on that Isle . . . and please be discreet . . . " Java nodded affirmative. He was a massive, hulking man that could be silent if he needed to be. "I'll be there before they are." He said, and turned to leave.

"One more thing. Only interfere if there is a clear and present danger to her and her alone. I care nothing for the others . . . obviously."

Java nodded again and closed the doors to the office.

Simon dialed the phone.

"Eric. Yes, you know who this is. Listen carefully; I want to insure that you have the right mindset going into this venture. There is information in that temple that I need to learn the final resting place of the Orb of Ra. Failure to return the information to me will result in a most dire situation for your poor fathers company. Success will insure that it survives, and that you will be the one running it."

Dan Cassidy had left the studio well before noon, and was driving back to his relatively new second home in Malibu. It had been willed to him 6 months ago by a great Uncle that had no children of his own. He had just recently decided to fix the place up and possibly move into it. Sharon had called it cute . . . in a 'This old House' fixer upper kinda way.

He was stopped at a light and decided to call the sword expert he was told to contact.

The phone rang three times, and a voice at the other end answered. "Hello, J & D Industries."

"Yes, I'm trying to reach Dave Jameson, I was given this number."

"One moment, Mr. Jameson is in the Research and Development lab today, let me transfer you."

Dan waited for Dave to pick up, accompanied by the lovely ‘80's flashback tunes that came over his earpiece. How bizarre that Thomas Dolby's 'She Blinded Me With Science' was the song playing, Dan thought.

"This is Dave. How can I help you?" a friendly voice finally came over the phone.

"Hi Dave. My name is Dan Cassidy, and I was given your name and phone number by Charles Pizer. He said you might be able to help me get ready for an upcoming movie that I'm going to be in."

"If Charlie gave you my number, then there's no problem. What do you need training in? Swords, lances, spears, or something else?" Dave said, a genuine interest in his voice. He obviously loved sharing his knowledge.

"I have to do some sword work, and I have a trident that doubles as a lance in two scenes. You'll also be training Wayne Tarrant. He's in the movie as well."

"No problem. When do you guys want to get started?"

"Well, we leave for the Caribbean island of Ile Du Diable in just under a week for initial shooting."

Well," Dave said, "I can give you guys some basics, but I can't start for two more days. My Uncle is out of the country on some family business, and I can't get away till the day after tomorrow. Not sure if I can hit everything you'll need in that short of an amount of time."

Dan's mind was starting to race; he really needed the right training. "Hey, how'd you like to take a little trip for a few weeks? On Verner Brothers."

"I guess I could. I have about a days work to finish up, and then . . . hmmm . . . nothing that can't wait till next month sometime."

"Let me see what I can do. Thanks." Dan said as he hung up the phone, a huge smile forming on his face. "Add one weapons expert to the crew."

Frank Sackings looked at Marla Bloom with, he hoped anyway, was a straight face that wouldn't betray the shock he felt. She had just asked him a question about an unhealthy connection between his brother Eric and Mr. Simon Stagg. Simon Stagg, the millionaire, the eccentric, the alleged crime figure, and father to Sapphire Stagg . . . who was appearing in The Blue Devil movie along with Wayne and Dan.

"Nothing that I know of, besides the fact that Sapphire is in the Blue Devil movie," Simon said truthfully. Simon did not know whom Eric had made his secret little deal with, but hearing Stagg's name mentioned sent chills up and down his spine. "Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering really. My nephew happened to see Mr. Stagg's bodyguard, you know . . . Java, come out of our offices late the other night, and records show that Eric was the only one left in the building at the time."

"Well, with Sapphire being in the movie, maybe he dropped off, or picked up something for her," Simon said, hoping he didn't sound like he was grasping for straws. "You know how the Staggs can be."

"That may very well be it, but that's what has me concerned. I so know how they are. So, I'd like you to keep your eyes and ears open just in case. I have reason to believe that there's more to it than that." She paused as she walked around the desk. "I also find it odd that Eric wants to go on this shoot. You're usually the one that accompanies us, because he hates to travel. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic by nature. So I want you to go as well. Things will run themselves here alright while we're gone."

"Sure thing, Marla," Simon said as he thought to himself, I'm going to kill Eric.

Dan was pulling ino the driveway as his cell rang. It was Irwin.

"Hello," Dan said with the hopes that Irwin had not totally messed things up for them on their trip to Airwalker Ranch.

"Danny! We got them, and a few other things too. Jim Cameroon was there as well, and whoop, I tell ya...he's a total do..."

"Whoa Irwin. Buddy. You didn't do anything that I'm gonna regret later did ya?"

"Nope...unless he really is way too thin skinned to accept a little criticism."

Dan shook his head. "Alright then, at least you didn;t assault him...like when wou met Ang Lee."

"DID YOU SEE HIS GREEN MONSTER MOVIE?!?!?!?!"

"Yeah, but that doesn;t mean you get to slap him because of it...look, get to work on those camera's, okay?"

"Whoop."

[ September 06, 2010, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Dev Em ]

Dev - Em
KIA

As a side note, I have the following characters cast in my head, the actors taken from their younger days.

Dan/Blue Devil - Brendan Fraser

Irwin/Ambush Bug = Steve Buscemi

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I like Hollywood/movie settings (loved the mention of Ang Lee!). With Stagg involved, this can only go tits-up for our... heroes? Looking forward to it.

So who would you cast as Stagg, Sapphire and Java?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Oh...it's gonna go totally tits-up.

As far as casting those three...hmmm.

Stagg = John Malkovich.

Java = Big...like MC Duncan, Steve Austin. Few words bur a hell of a presence.

Sapphire = The latest looks only bluee eyed blond hollywood darling...that probably has no real talent other than her looks. Think A nicer, less skanky Paris Hilton.

Those two are more stereotypes for this stories purposes, as opposed to certian actors.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh YES! Malcovich would make a kickASS Stagg!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

To round it out...

Sharon = Ali Larter

Marla - Sigourney Weaver

Eddie = The kid from Zombieland, only age appropriate.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.