Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » An EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #45 (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #45
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
BEWARE 30 YEAR OLD SPOILERS!

Okay, so I paid like $11.50 for this. Which seemed freakishly expensive. But it's Titans month, and Lash is all obsessed with the Titans from this era, and I *am* co-writing Groovy 70s Titans: The Series, and... well, it's actually pretty damned good.

THE PLOT
Speedy makes Mal quit the Titans. Speedy quits the Titans because he made Mal quit the Titans. Mal gets caught in an explosion caused by a neighborhood gang upset at development in their neighborhood. Mal has a near-death experience, which results in him getting Gabriel's Horn. Mal blows the horn which teleports the Titans (including Speedy) to his location to help him fight the gang. The Titans fight the gang members, who have the neighborhood wired with booby traps and cool weapons like a missile-firing mailbox. Everyone lives happily ever after when Speedy invites Mal to join the Great Frogs.

THE GROOVY

--Mal kicks Azrael's ass! No, not *that* one. This one's a lot less wussy!

--Julie Schwartz correcting the angel Gabriel in a footnote! ("Actually, a ram's horn known as a Shofar--")

--Did I mention missile-launching mailboxes?

FUNNY 70S CURSING DEPT.

Speedy: "Aw, spit!"

Mal: "Darned straight, Robin!"

THE "COULD THIS GUY BE ANY WIMPIER?" DEPT.

Aqualad. Sheesh!

ASSESSMENT

I found this far more enjoyable overall than the Legion material of the same period. It's a well-written story, which changes one of the the cast members in an interesting way. Mal reads a bit as a black stereotype, but I really like the focus on him. And the notion that he he'll die if he ever looses a fight is intriguing. Gabriel's Horn strikes me too much as a deus ex machina power, ala Tyroc's though. The nice thing about Mal is the focus is really on the character, not on the power, especially since he went through various identities.

Anyway, I liked it a lot!

[ September 09, 2004, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, awesome review, EDE! I'd love to get into these Titans back-issues that Lash has been raving about as well, but that price tag is kind of making me weary. Way to be a big spender though!

Dare I hope that missile-launching mailboxes make it into Groovy 70s Titans: the Series? Sounds like Aqualad could use the firepower and personality development time.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Zoinks! I had NO idea that run of the TTs had gotten so expensive-- when I was replacing some of my rattier issues several years back, they were still in the like $3-$5 range. I smell a price gouge!

It's likely these books will NEVER be reprinted in any format, so this is the only way to get them, I guess.

Anyway, Eryk, despite that price I am thrilled that you enjoyed the book! I'll certainly agree that it was more fun than the LEGION stuff of the same period!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Eryk Davis Ester

I'm guessing it was just over-priced. The other issue I picked up, #47, was $4.50. I can't imagine the first appearance of Mal with Gabriel's Horn is significant enough to make #45 worth nearly three times as much. Anyway, I'm just pretending I paid $8 for each of them, which doens't seem nearly as bad.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I'm guessing it was just over-priced. The other issue I picked up, #47, was $4.50. I can't imagine the first appearance of Mal with Gabriel's Horn is significant enough to make #45 worth nearly three times as much. Anyway, I'm just pretending I paid $8 for each of them, which doens't seem nearly as bad.

[ROTFLMAO]

That's so funny because I do the same thing to justify some of my purchases.

I have almost this entire run (bought new off the rack [Big Grin] ) so if you need any research done, just let me know.

[ September 09, 2004, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: CM3 Vee ]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yeah. If you buy enough comics out of the quarter bin, you can get a really good deal on Action #1 with them!
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
What I remember most about this issue was the introduction of the gang -- a panel revealing each of the characters' names and nicknames. (Was the leader called "The Wrecker"?) I was a sucker for introductions like that, even when the characters didn't amount to anything.

I, too, liked the focus on Mal, though I never understood why he didn't continue to use the Guardian's costume from the previous issue. After all, no one else was using it. It seemed a shame to let it go to waste.

The scenario of the angels battling for Mal's soul was an interesting subplot, but it never really developed, and, to my knowledge, was forgotten when the series ended. It's too bad, because the glimpse of the afterlife/spirit world it suggested was rare in comics.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Jeepers! Maybe I'll have to do a retro review on that other Titans issue I picked up last year!
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders the Seven Seas:
I, too, liked the focus on Mal, though I never understood why he didn't continue to use the Guardian's costume from the previous issue. After all, no one else was using it. It seemed a shame to let it go to waste.

Hmm...I don't think it went to waste, HWTTSS, the Guardian costume was ditched for the Black Lightning-esque funky duds in TT 49, (debuting as Hornblower) but mysteriously re-emerged for the Titans East-West team-up the following issue

Also, i can't recall if Aqualad's "fainting spells" had ever been cured (even off-panel)

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Bah! I was all excited because I found two issues of Groovy 70s Teen Titans at the shop today, but then I realized they were the issues I already had!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Issues?

Why only one review then?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Stop denying me! Get with the program! I must have more EDE 70s TT RRs!

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Jeepers! Okay, I'll do a retro review of Teen Titans #47 once I get the chance to re-read it!

But, as a teaser:

EDE RETRO REVIEW: The Hostess Fruit Pie Ad from Teen Titans #47!

Bat Man in "The World's Upside Down!"

So, our story starts with Batman hanging around in Gotham City one day. And he is literally hanging by his batboots, for the villainous Topsy-Turvy Man has struck! Now for those of you who aren't hardcore Batfans, you might not be familiar with this particular arch-fiend! I know I wasn't!

Fortunately, this notorious criminal is explained for us: "Topsy-Turvy Man, arch-villain, has the ability to turn things upside down!" What does that amount to? Well, he seems to be some kind of gravity manipulator, who can make things fall "up" instead of "down", making the whole world seem as though it's turned upside down. Except apparently people don't fall up, only the loose change and bills and hostess fruit pies from their pockets fall towards him as he's hovering around walking upside down on air. But people's capes and hairdos and such are pulled upward even if they aren't. I'm not sure if he controls what's affected by his power or not.

Anyway, best I can figure out is that this topsy-turvy guy's powers won't work on toupees, and they keep falling off every time he tries to walk around on the air upside down, which explains his really miniscule combover and bad disposition. And so he's set about using his power to steal people's money and fruit pies and stuff.

So, Batman kicks his ass. And the apple, cherry, and lemon fruit pies are safe!

SUMMARY

Note to self: If visiting the groovy 70s, beware upside down short guys with bad combovers!

[ October 18, 2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

He isn't kidding!

The Whole World's Upside Down!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

He's mastered the evil hand-wringing... or is that how he activates his powers?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.