Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » An EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #45 (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #45
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You got to love the fact that the kid's more amazed by the real fruit filling than the fact that the entire world has turned upside down!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
And of course, anyone with a comb-over is evil.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

EDE RETRO REVIEW: Groovy 70s Teen Titans #47

By popular demand!

THE PLOT

So this story starts with an attack by Topsy-Turvy Man's cousin Mirror Man, who has the power to turn left to right and right to left! Well, not really, but we do find out that Gotham City and New York are apparently twin cities, only with inverted skylines. And stamp exhibits in both are apparently simulataneously under attack by the same three criminals: Flamesplasher, Sizematic, and Darklight! Their dorky codenames and goofy costumes just scream "second-rate villains", though they seem to be more than a match for Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, and the Joker's Daughter, who interrupt their heist in Gotham, clued in by Duela's "esp" connection with the mastermind behind the gang. The gang's fire, growing, and darkness powers allow them to k.o. the Titans.

After their defeat, the Titans limp home to their new Disco HQ, which the rest of the Titans are busy constructing. Soon Duella gets info on the gang's next caper, and goes with Speedy, Mal, and Aqualad to stop them. The Titans are all prepped with intel from their colleagues defeat, but which turns out to be bad, since the villains defeat them with their water, shrinking, and light powers.

So, the second group of Titans limps back to Gabriel's Horn. Aqualad falls into a coma from what Aquaman speculates is a case of the "hydro Asian flu". Duella gets yet another "esp" message, and she and Robin take off to investigate it. Meanwhile, the remaining Titans see that the gang is causing more trouble on the news, and rush to face them once again, unaware that Robin and Duella have fallen into a trap!

THE "WE'VE GIVEN UP TRYING TO MAKE AQUALAD USEFUL" DEPT.

So let's just give him fainting spells to get him out of the way!

THE BAD AIM DEPT.

So, Sizematic walks around with a great big Bullseye on his chest, and nobody hits it!

THE "SHOULDN'T MAL BE DEAD?" DEPT.

I thought the deal was he couldn't lose a fight? Sure looks to me like Darklight creams him... or was it he couldn't lose a fight after using Gabriel's Horn? Maybe I need to go back and reread #45...

THE PETITION TO GET SPEEDY BACK ON DRUGS DEPT.

Jeepers! The guy's going through massive withdrawal all issue! Yelling at Mal and Kid Flash and Duella and anyone else who gets within earshot!

THE "WHO'S YOUR DADDY" DEPT.

Duella claims the criminal mastermind is her father!

SUMMARY

This is a solid, if somewhat predictable, issue. I think it serves to set up later issues more than anything, but, unfortunately, I don't have the later issues! [Frown]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Who couldn't love a heroine who throws off her opponents by calling them "Daddy"? [chuckle]

Thanks for the excellent review, Eryk!

The Sizematic twins were slated to appear in the SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS issue that was cancelled. An image of them appears on a monitor screen in the final published issue of SSoSV.

Yeah, this issue is definitely the set-up for the next issue and Duela's confrontation with the criminal mastermind she claims is her father.

I didn't care for the art for this issue. This guy's Duela is particularly ugly. And though Don Heck (who drew the Titans West tale in 50-52) has never been a favorite artist of mine, I'd rather he had drawn this issue, and can't imagine his Titans East/West tale drawn by anyone else.

I liked the art in 44, 45 and 46 and would have preferred those artists I think. Fortunately this was just a 1-shot art job for TT.

Tellya what, EDE... I still have some issues that need to be replaced due to over-reading and general rattiness of condition (#s 48, 51 and 52, iirc). When I replace them, I will send you the original issues if you want them. Warning: They are in REALLY ratty condition; they're the originals I bought off the spinner rack and have read, like, a zillion times. But free if you want.

(and of course, you will want to do an EDE 70s TT RR on them!)

[ October 22, 2005, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'm now pulling for an EDE all-Hostess snack ads review thread.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... not a bad idea...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.