Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » The Purple-Haired CryingTitan Freak versus Gargamel's Cat! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Purple-Haired CryingTitan Freak versus Gargamel's Cat!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
My money's on the cat.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
yup, I'd have to agree Eryk.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Who's Cargamel's cat anyway?

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Gargamel = main villain on the Smurfs, an American cartoon from the 80s. His cat is named Azrael.

-  -

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Ooh. Azrael hands down. That cat is so awesome.

I'm willingly forgetting how many hundreds of times they failed in capturing Smurfs. Azrael was the real muscle in that duo.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
What is this, a two-pronged assault?

Y'know, I could casually toss around how I really don't care that much for a number of second- or third-tier Legion characters, where I thought they were too silly or poorly thought out. (For me, among others, Drura Sehpt and Tenzil Kem come to mind.)

I try hard to avoid it, though, because I know that some around here clearly have not only niche interests, but niche passions for such characters.

And it's worth not heedlessly causing offense among other people whom I care about on this board. Especially about matters which are nearly wholly a matter of quite personal appeal. Favorite characters qualify.

(It's a bit different for discussing artists and techniques, where it's at least possible to pull together objective reasons for a dislike ... as seldom as we usually end up doing that.)

That's a roundabout way, as usual for me, to be saying: Would you all be a little less hasty about picking characters to simply dump upon? Even if they're only part of a temporary focus around here?

And do I have to go beyond dropping painfully broad hints, such as "look at the temporary Titans-ish user legend at left"?

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Sorry, Grey. I was really just going for the Azrael-Azrael reference, but Lash's description was too funny to not repeat.

For the record, feel free to rag on anyone you like. There are people around here with a stated contempt for Matter-Eater Lad, for example. It doesn't bother us in the least that others fail to get the appeal.

I will say that I think you picked the right winged Titan to base your username on, though.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll bet if Tenzil and Drura had WINGS, Grey'd like 'em!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... maybe we should give Tenzil wings in an issue of MEL:TS! Maybe when Kid Heavyfeathers returns?
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Ooh! I'd read that! (Wait, I read MEL: TS anyway...)

Uh, I'd read that...twice!

Speaking of Azrael, the Titan, just what exactly was the character's backstory? I figure he has wings and I've heard all of this 'crying' nonsense, but surely he had other roles to play. What's he all about?

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

NO other roles to play. An absolute waste of space. Azrael served NO purpose whatsoever; no storyline he was ever involved in went anywhere-- they all fizzled out.

I'm rather surprised to see Grey defending this horrid character. Golden Eagle is much more deserving of his love.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Eryk Davis Ester

From what I can gather from his bio on Titans Tower, Azrael was basically a winged alien who crashed on Earth and was duped into thinking he was an angel. And apparently he's never figured out who he really is.

[ September 06, 2004, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Oh, Azrael later became an ally of BROTHER BLOOD. Mass-murderer Brother Blood.

--------------------

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't mean to suggest that I necessarily admired (certainly not apropos of Brother Blood) or was attached to The Winged Alien, who only in the course of events was tagged as Azrael.

Yet I thought the visual concept to be intriguing, the unrequited affection for Lilith at least interesting, and the story notion -- in such a universe, why haven't we seen more intelligent travelers going astray by now? -- at least worth exploring.

And, yeah, I'm a sucker for wings. Golden Eagle had more done for him, true enough. I'm just disappointed that winged characters -- organic wings or not -- are put through such angst and waste. The Hawkcouple being Exhibit A. Dawnstar was the exception, with 12 years of stories, at least, before she was mutilated.

{[...] Azrael served NO purpose whatsoever; no storyline he was ever involved in went anywhere-- they all fizzled out. }

That's a little harsh. The first one with Lilith (which got her proclaimed a goddess, frevinsake) was retconned away by The Crisis within about half a year. I'd hardly call that "fizzling out."

Didn't Lilith want someone to get past her mental defenses? And then, when the winged guy did, and she got some passion tossed her way, she didn't know what to do with it.

As for Brother Blood, I found that story to be a prime example of how providing a purpose (or seeming to do so) for someone's life can bring about all sorts of delusions. Too much melodrama, but still entertaining, if only by bad example.

{ I'm rather surprised to see Grey defending this horrid character. Golden Eagle is much more deserving of his love. }

It's not a "defense," I just don't like seeing him being dumped on. I found him intriguing. (Only "my sister" gets any "love," amigo.)

I'll make one exception, though. You guys are ragging on Azrael "crying," and thus being a "freak." Why the hell can't some male characters be shown as wearing their emotion on their sleeves? (Figuratively, as he doesn't have 'em.)

It's not the macho-macha superhero norm, true enough, but doesn't that make for a little bit of interesting contrast? He's not from Earth, couldn't he be calibrated differently? I don't see this kind of ragging on, say, Light Lass or Starfire.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

But Light Lass and Starfire don't suck.

I have 3 hatreds in Titans Lore:

1. Magenta's original costume

2. Terry Long

3. Azrael

As for the crying, Wolfman seemed to have a "thing" for it. That dude in Crisis just about weeped his face off, and Terry Long was a bit of a whiner too. Azrael was just one more "Wolfman Weeper".

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.