Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » Post here if you actually read the Teen Titans! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Post here if you actually read the Teen Titans!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The current series, that is.

(I never have, so I shouldn't be posting.)

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Hahaha. I do. It's really quite good. <.< >.> No, I didn't just say that because Geoff writes it!! What are these accusations!?!

Okay, but seriously. I loved Young Justice, so I wanted to see the young'ins again. And Titans series are usually fun, so... yeah. I likes it. It's good times.

No, seriously, I didn't just say that 'cause of Geoff. Really. (Or 'cause McKone is one of the best artists in the biz.) Really. I swear. [Good]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I do. The last few issues haven't been that great...infact since about Conner went all Lex Luthor I've been kind of lost.

But this Titans rock. An example of what the Legion should be. The most popular elements (Wolfman's/Perez's Cyborg, Raven, Deathstroke, Beast Boy) with the new cool versions of some old original Titans...Robin, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash. And a new element Superboy. I like the new versions of Hawk and Dove. Suprised they didn't off the latest Dove for the older version. [Wink]

I am worried about OYL. I think this lineup is great. Maybe even perfect. Shouldn't mess with it too much.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
Why Yes, yes I do. Even the two issues drawn (and I use that term loosely) by the artist who shall not be named.

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Why, yes I do read the current series, thank you for asking.

And even tough you didn't ask this, sit back a spell and let an old fogey ramble on for a bit about his status as a Teen Titan fan.

So the year would have been about 19-ought-76. I'd usually walk barefoot through 5 miles of ice and snow-- even in July-- to the local drug store-- or get Granny to take me, 'cause she was always up for a brief road-trip. Still is, actually.

Back in those days, they had these weird contraptions called "spinner racks", which were kind of sad because all the less-respectful-of-comics kids would come by and pull the issues in front down, bending them forever out of mint condition, to see what mystery issues were behind them.

In was on one of these ancient "spinner racks" that I discovered TEEN TITANS # 44, the first issue of the relaunched title.

My previous experience with TEEN TITANS was limited to 1-- possibly 2-- reprints in old reprint books like SUPER-TEAM FAMILY, but I didn't really remember much about them.

So I bought this, or more specifically, Granny bought it for me and I was instantly hooked.

See, there was this black dude named Mal-- which was nucking futs 'cause only The Avengers had a black dude member, and he was rarely seen, but this guy had apparently been a member for a long time. And he totally had a "Swordsman" complex going on, 'cause just like Kang had ingored the Swordsman back in the "Celestial Madonna" arc of AVENGERS, only to later be thwarted by him, Mal was also ignored by Dr. Light-- and then gave a big, honkin' ass-whuppin' to him later. 'Cept unlike the Swordsman, Mal didn't end up dead in the end.

So I instantly liked Mal.

But one thing that really captured my attention is a single panel featuring teeny tiny li'l pics of OTHER members of the TEEN TITANS-- members who had not answered the call placed out that brought Robin, Speedy, Wonder Girl and Kid Flash to the cave-HQ.

There was some chick in a miniskirt named "Lilith". Who was she? What the crap is a "Gnarrk"? He sure looked big, from the teeny li'l drawing. "Hawk"? "Dove"? Who were they? Why didn't they answer the call?

Anyhoo, Bob Rozakis proceeded to warp my mind with all kinds of freaky stuff, like bomb-shooting mailboxes, poor street gangs who come up with all kinds of million-dollar weapons, Angels of Death having wrestling matches, Great Frog, a Disco headquarters, a chick from the ghetto who somehow comes up with bee-based weapons which also enable her to fly, and a chick with father issues who fights crime with lipstick and powder puffs. Aaaah, it was good times!

And then, TEEN TITANS 50-52...

Lilith! Gnarrk! Hawk! Dove! Golden Eagle, who I remembered from an earlier issue of Justice League! So THAT'S who they all were!

And then, with # 53, it was over-- all too soon.

But my yearning for TEEN TITANS had not ended.

Fortunately, not too long after TEEN TITANS was cancelled, I disovered... the COMIC BOOK SHOP! Where new comics were placed on free-range shelves, and were never bent by careless children's smudgy clutches!

And... BACK ISSUES. Oh my word.

Now, the first few issues of the TEEN TITANS relaunch had a handy-dandy "Issue guide" for all the TT issues published so far, and even better-- had a list of WHICH Titans members appeared in each issue!

So I was able to know *exactly* which issues of TT to get for more Gnarrk, Lilith, etc. That was a good idea. DC knew subtle little ways to hook young fans back then.

And then, of course, came the Wolfman/Perez TEEN TITANS... and even though I don't think the stories hold up as well today, they surrrrrre were exciting back then!

So I haven't missed a TITANS issue since the 70s relaunch, which will always hold the # 1 place in my Titans-fanboyism, and have back-collected some of the earlier run (those Cardy covers should be in a hall of fame somewhere).

Though there's been plenty of good suff (plus some monumentally BAD stuff) since in Titans-land.

The current series? I'm liking it. Just keep the fill-ins to a MINIMUM, please.

[ November 29, 2005, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
I do, in a half-assed way. I've bought a few random issues, borrowed the first year, and skimmed through others at the CBS. Eh. When this forum started up I figured I should check in again to see what was going on, but I decided that could wait until after the Liefield issues.

I prefer Outsiders, although I skipped that title's 2-issue fill-in thing too. And I don't think I care for the new art style.

lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
HI!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I do. Yes, I really do. [Big Grin]

Inrersting mix of the old and new. Great dynamic. Well worth a read.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
LASH, I didn't know you were so old. It explains alot! In your pics you look so much younger. [Razz]
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

That's why I'm not ashamed of my age.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
lash --
You're 29, too?

From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Jillikers! Lash has been reading Teen Titans since before I was born!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Like Lashie Poo, I too have been reading Titans since issue #44 of the original series... waaaaaaaay back in the 70's.

I am still reading Titans today, but I will be absolutely honest with you: In my mind it is the New Young Justice series. And don't get me wrong... I like it well enough (although it's not a MUST READ FIRST book like it was in the 80s). For me, though, it lacks the necessary elements for a Titans book: it lacks, well, the Titans [Smile]

See, for me (most likely because I've been reading it so long) the Titans isn't about having "young Bat, Amazonian and Flash characters"... it's about having Dick Grayson, Donna Troy and Wally West (although I'm willing to admit that I like Bart better). It's about having a group mostly made up of previous Titans, like Changeling and Raven (preferably versions that sound like they used to, rather than de-aged versions of the original characters), with maybe some aspects of different Titans eras and a couple of new characters thrown into the mix. And really, that's not what this book is.

Titans today has become the main teenage sidekick book in the DCU, which certainly is what the title originally was back in the 60s... but it's not what the book became in the 80s. The Titans grew from being a group of sidekicks to being a group of Big Guns under the watchful eye of Marv and George. The team evolved and was no longer looked at as being the sidekick group by either the rest of the DCU or the fans of the series.

Then came Graduation Day. The Titans as I knew them were destroyed. The book was forced back to the 60s concept, replacing Young Justice (which had already adopted that concept). For the most part, the characters I knew as Titans were either killed off, revamped behind the scenes, or forced into lesser titles (like Outsiders, which I can't stand).

So, yeah... I still read Titans and still enjoy it to an extent, but in my mind it is just Young Justice with new mentors.

[ November 29, 2005, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Spellbinder ]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
lash --
You're 29, too?

Plus a few; but the parts all work if you ever want to take a test drive. [Love]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Jillikers! Lash has been reading Teen Titans since before I was born!

Someone's about to get a nelly cap wedgie.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.