Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » SHOWCASE PRESENTS TEEN TITANS VOL. 1 TP (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SHOWCASE PRESENTS TEEN TITANS VOL. 1 TP
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
OK, I admit it. I wasn't that enthralled with the first TT Showcase. Sometimes ya need color and ads and in-house pieces and letter columns....

But Lilith, huh? Far out!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I know what you mean re: colors, funky ads, even smell. The Vol 1 Showcase was fun for me in that I hadn't read 90% of those stories before and was fascinated with how many foes were merely toughs on motorcycles.

Now we're getting to an era that I have read much more of... but not a WHOLE lot of. Plus the Nick Cardy covers are about to get RiiiiiLLY good.

Add in a 20% discount (it was $13.59) and... yeah, I bought Vol. 2 yesterday!

If they can find about 3-4 other TT appearances elsewhere, Vol. 3 would contain the entire funky 70s run!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Can't wait to read this-- but it'll be in December, since that's when employees get an extra 10% off for a week (for a total of 40% off). TT and Wonder Woman showcases will comprise the graphic novel portion of my haul.

Surely there's some Brave & Bold team-ups or something to fill up a TT Showcase #3. I'd really like to see those published.

Imagine- the whole pre-Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans history published in three convenient volumes...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm... halfway through it.

No villainous motorcycle gangs so far, a plus.

Cardy's artwork has evolved to AMAZING by issue 25.

Lilith and Mal's first appearances... quite a treat.

Major problem with the B&W format: Once the Titans ditch their uniforms "permanently", it becomes diffilcult to tell Don, Hank, Wally and Roy apart.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
EDE has acquired this.

Reviews coming soon.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So I borrowed Volume 2 from the library for research purposes, and all I can say is, thank God for the artists, because the writers didn't have a clue.

Sure, Lilith is cool, but the switchover from the flippant frivolity of the early Titans into the hollow histrionics of this phase makes for an exhausting read.

In fairness, by the end of the volume the comic did seem to be finding a direction. Issues 34, "The Demon of Dog Island", and 35-36, "Intruders of the Forbidden Crypt" & "Tomb Be Their Destiny", are good proto-Buffy gothic fluff. But I guess it must have been too little too late, because the book was cancelled a few issues later.

Say what you will about the 80s New Teen Titans, but at least Marv Wolfman wasn't trying to be "hip." Or maybe I just need a replacement funny bone to better appreciate the oldies.

On a positive note, there's that artwork I mentioned before. Nick Cardy's talents were wasted on boring old Aquaman, but he really blossomed on Teen Titans. There's also artistic team-ups between: Neal Adams & Cardy, Gil Kane & Wally Wood, and Gil Kane & Cardy.

Now, having said all that, I would still like to read the Disco Era Teen Titans, because from what Lash and others have written, it sounds like it was good colorful fun...unlike the painfully pretentious and pathetically posturing Teen Titans of the late 60s/early 70s.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I've never read these issues so I can't comment much, other than I love those Cardy covers and would love to see the art inside by Cardy (and Kane & Wood, which I didn't realize was included).

I like Lilith's "look" from this era, but that's about all I've ever seen of her.

Interesting that the end of the run takes a proto-Buffy feel. This was very central to the changing times in the early 70's when horror was the dominant genre (and publishers were unsure if superheroes would even survive).

As I'm experiencing in my Iron Man reread project, many comic books are tough to read from the early 1970's. This seems to mimic that.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie, the art alone does make the trade worth borrowing from the library or from a friend. But don't waste your money.

Good point about the predominance of horror at the time. That hadn't occurred to me.

And, yeah, 1970-1972 are pretty hard going all across the board.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.