Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » Random TT Panel Discussion (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Random TT Panel Discussion
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Dick shows off the detective skills he learned from Batman. Good thing all teenagers in the '60s talked alike.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Was "jive" ever actually slang for music?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been trying to think of an example, but the only one that comes to mind is "Jive Talkin'" by the Bee Gees. They weren't talking about music.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Based on the brief research I've done via google/wikipedia, it looks like it was originally a generic term for swing dancing or the kind of slang associated with swing/jazz culture (hence its later meaning of "black slang").

So, "jive music" seems like a common expression for "dance music", but it seems a bit weird to just use "jive" for "music".

I imagine the "dance" association would also be the root of expressions such as "My plans jived with his", in which it means something like "being in synch".

This concludes EDE's Lessions in Hip Lingo.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
"My plans jived with his", in which it means something like "being in synch".

I always thought that 'jibe' was the word for plans being in synch.

Then again, jibe and jive sound close enough that it's possible that people use both interchangeably...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
According to Merriam-Webster, "jibe" is a variant spelling of "gibe", which means to deride or tease with taunting words or to utter taunting words. However others have "jibe" meaning to agree or fit. There is also a nautical meaning for "jibe". To shift from one side to the other when running before the wind, as a fore-and-aft sail or its boom or to alter course so that a fore-and-aft sail shifts in this manner.

Merriam-Webster and at Dictionary.com have "jive" meaning 1 : swing music or the dancing performed to it or 2 a : glib, deceptive, or foolish talk b : the jargon of hipsters c : a special jargon of difficult or slang terms.

I think having "jive" mean in synch (i.e. his plans jive with mine) is actually meant as "jibe".

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Interesting. I would've immediately thought of "jibe" as meaning "taunting", and "jive" sounds so much more natural to me for "being in agreement".

So, basically, in the 1930s or 40s a hipster might've used "jive" to mean music, but a teenage in the early 60s would be unlikely to?

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
 -

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
That panel is in the story that was reprinted uin the Super-Team family #2 that I read hundreds of times. Dude gave me nightmares with that outfit.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
The Joker has class? How high was Speedy in this panel???

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
To be fair, Joker was between bouts of homicidal mania at the time.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

And can't Wonder Girl use her super-Amazonian legs to kick this douche's lungs in while he's mincing around admiring his ridonkulous outfit?!?!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Interesting. I would've immediately thought of "jibe" as meaning "taunting", and "jive" sounds so much more natural to me for "being in agreement".

So, basically, in the 1930s or 40s a hipster might've used "jive" to mean music, but a teenage in the early 60s would be unlikely to?

I try not to be Word Cop, but, oh-- it drives me absolutely bonkers when people get these two confused.

[AHHHH!!!!]

See "eggcorns" for further details.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
And can't Wonder Girl use her super-Amazonian legs to kick this douche's lungs in while he's mincing around admiring his ridonkulous outfit?!?!

No, because she's a girl in a 1960s team book.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

AT LAST-- on-panel proof of Speedy's bi-curious stage...

-

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.