Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » Sell me on the Disco Era Teen Titans (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sell me on the Disco Era Teen Titans
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been a semi-regular at Legion World for five and a half years. In that time many of you have come to know my tastes in superhero comics pretty well.

I'm very intrigued by the enthusiasm of Lash and others for the Disco Era Teen Titans, but before I make the investment, I want to be sure it would be to my satisfaction. Therefore, I thought I'd list both the reasons why I'm intrigued, and the reasons why I hesitate to take the plunge...

Encouraging: Multi-racial team with lots of female members in generally light-hearted adventures. Sounds like a 70s version of the original Outsiders, a team I love.

Discouraging: The back issues are expensive and the artists are C-listers at best. Too much frivolity can sometimes get on my nerves.

So I ask Lash and other fans of this era:

Do you think I'd like it enough to spend money on it?

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Although you've been open about your tastes, I'd never presume to know what appeals to another fan. (I don't know what appeals to ME most of the time. [Smile] )

However, my memories of that era a bit more vivid than those of the late '60s/early '70s Titans. This could be because I was still very young at the time (about 12 when the series resumed) and bought the issues off the stands instead of looking for back issues. I remember the wait between issues and consequent suspense. I remember thrilling as the TT fought actual super-villains such as Dr. Light and Two-Face (a perennial Bat-favorite) instead of solving mysteries featuring one-shot characters as they did earlier. I loved the new team members such as Joker's Daughter/Harlequin and Bumblebee. Yet the old team members were not neglected, save for

Click Here For A SpoilerAqualad, who spent several issues comatose in a aquarium and being watered by his teammates, only to resign upon awakening. (This was just before the series was canceled again, so his resignation was pretty much for nothing.)

I never thought of this series as the "disco" Titans, even though that was the era in which it was published and it reflected the trends of the time, as comics always do. To me, it was more of the continuing "Marvelization" of DC, with ongoing subplots, unexpected changes, and interpersonal drama, all welcome changes from the staid earlier story lines.

Is this era indispensable to your Titans collection? Probably not. Is it worth a look-see to gauge its entertainment value? Definitely.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It definitely does help. Subplots, actual super-villains...definitely enticing. Thanks, HWW.

And...

Click Here For A SpoilerI don't mind if Aqualad is neglected. I never liked him until the mid-90s when first Peter David and then Phil Jimenez made him cool.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow.. this is a toughie... I understand these back issues are rather expensive nowadays.

I'm concerned that the frivolity will get on your nerves. I can say for certain: Bob Rozakis did not write the stories to be frivolous at all, he wrote them to be entertaining which I very much find them to be, even against foes such as Flamesplasher and the Rocket-Rollers. These foes are NOT written to be silly or humorous.

The art in 44 and 45 is best, and then, yes, it takes a more middling turn in 46. Improves again in 49 (Coletta inks actually improved it).

50-52 I would proclaim as must-haves for any TITANS lover-- the historic Titans East/Titans West team-up. Yes it is drawn by Don Heck, but I don't think I would have anyone redraw this story... it shines in my mind very brightly as it is.

The final issue (53) featured a different artist with a more modern (for that era) style.

I am sure really concerned about the expense of these issues.

I am posting lots of samples from this era on my Facebook wall today, though, and even got a comment from Mr. Rozakis himself.

Personally, my pre-teen comic experience would have been a lot less fun without Mr. Rozakis and his Titans, Freedom Fighters and Secret Society of Super-Villains.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
My review of the two issues I've read!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Thank you, Lash and Eryk.

From your description, Lash, it sounds like Rozakis was kind of like Mike W. Barr, where fun is foremost but there's substance below the surface. Barr's Masters of Disaster were one of my favorite super-villain teams, especially the dysfunctional sisterhood of New Wave and Windfall. If Rozakis' villains are cut from similar cloth, there should be no problem.

I think what I'll probably do is focus my search on #50-53 and if I find them at reasonable prices, I'll see where I go from there.

And Lash, I'll be sure to have a look at your Facebook wall later tonight.

Thanks again, all you guys.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Now that you mention it, Barr's OUTSIDERS draws a bit of a parallel, with foes such as The Nuclear Family and Duke of Oil. It sure does.

It also makes me regret selling off those issues years ago without re-reading them first. I probably would have kept them.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

The "middling turn" in art I mention above apparently belongs to issue 47, after re-reading EDE's review.

Coletta's inks carry 48-49 pretty well.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Yeah. I think the first 24 or so issues of BATO are pure gold. Halo's haircut was the shark jump for me, but just about any issue before that...priceless.

Thank heaven most of those issues were reprinted in the one volume of Showcase Presents BATO.

I just thought of another possible parallel for the Rozakis Titans -- Peter David's Young Justice? I love the great majority of that run.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

YJ was blessed with FANTASTIC art, and I love that whole run. Nauck would have rocked OUT on Groovy 70s TT!

One of the things I always liked about 70s TT is that so many of the characters were regular types who relied on gadgets and skills to get by, and not super-powers.

Robin, Mal, Duela, Speedy, Karen, Bette, Gnarrk and Golden Eagle all kinda fall into this category.

And I remember at the time enjoying Cissie's non-powered role in YJ very much and thinking it reminded me of Groovy 70s TT. So yes, I think you are right there as well.

One of my biggest problems with the current run of Titans was the way it handled Kid Devil shortly after he lost his powers and the non-powered Wendy and Marvin. I was too glad to drop that title!!

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Nauck was awesome. He and Amanda Conner are my Top Two "cartoony" artists.

The only real problems I had with YJ were that some of the early issues were a bit lightweight (it definitely turned a corner when Cissie confronted her counselor's killer and subsequently abandoned her costume and arrows) and I didn't like some of the developments that PAD brought it towards the end (Anita's parents reborn as babies, Tim with a second alter ego, and the whole reality-show thing.)

STILL searching for the final two issues of YJ. Heavy sigh.

Goodness, I hope Teeds chimes in. I'd love to know better what she thinks of this Titans era.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

If I'm not mistaken, her experience with this era is pretty much from the boards only. This may have changed in the past few years, but just wanted to warn you in case.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Thanks for the warning, Lash. It does sound to me like the kind of thing she'd enjoy, though.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I always thought so too.

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. Tough question. How much are these issues going for?

I can say these issues are among my most prized possessions. I was also 12 years old when I bought them off the rack. They were great fun. Rozakis really was writing for 12 year old boys at the time, and he hit his mark. Can I really recommend them to you all these later? There's just no way they will have the same magic for you.

For the hardcore Teen Titans historian, the introductions of Duela and the Titans West should be of interest. To get the full impact of the Joker's Daughter introduction, you would also need to pick up the Rozakis scripted Batman Family issues that first featured her.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.