Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » The Titans drug issues...let's get real. (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Titans drug issues...let's get real.
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

You know about the various *special* drug issues from the early/mid 1980s, courtesy of Nancy Reagan and various corporate sponsors.

Sure, they're easy to mock. Feel free, I know I do. But what did you think of them -- especially if you read one (or more) when you were a kid?

[ November 17, 2011, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Thriftshop Debutante ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

The first image is free (and courtesy of Power Boy):

-

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I was a kid when they came out and all I wanted was to stop being told what to do.

Batman: Seduction of the Gun scared me about gangs though!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I wondered where the hell Robin was...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd like to ditto this:

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
"When I was 13, I was just like you!"

"I was taking everything that was coming down the pike. Pot, hash, coke, LSD, heroin. Everything."

Just like me?

Where the heck did Roy grow up, anyway? A crack house in Detroit?

I was raised by wild hippies, and I didn't even *see* cocaine until I went to college.

... and quote it in this thread because, it is just too funny for one thread about crazy 13 year old Roy Harper.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Luckily, I lived in South America at the time, so those issues passed me by.

I know, I know, oh, the irony of living among so many drug dealings...etc. [Smile]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't quite getting the Titans yet.

They seem a bit over the top though, can't they just say "Hey don't do drugs, they're bad for you."

Kinda creates unrealistic expectations.

Also, you'd think Roy would wear long sleeves ... or that ... I don't know, one of the world's greatest detectives might be able to spot a drug addict on the team.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

I read one of them back when I was more or less the target age for these things. I wasn't a hellraiser or a Goody Two Shoes. I grew up without much adult supervision, but pretty much stayed out of trouble on my own.

A 12-year-old who had tried all these drugs? I had heard of them, yeah, but had never even SEEN any of them. If I knew kids who had done any of them -- they weren't telling me about it, other than maybe the odd brag about drinking a beer or something.

It seemed overblown to me, kind of like the dad on Freaks and Geeks. "I knew a kid in high school who smoked marijuana. He didn't graduate, do you know why? HE DIED!"

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
I'd like to ditto this:

quote:
"When I was 13, I was just like you!"

"I was taking everything that was coming down the pike. Pot, hash, coke, LSD, heroin. Everything."

Just like me?

Where the heck did Roy grow up, anyway? A crack house in Detroit?

I was raised by wild hippies, and I didn't even *see* cocaine until I went to college.

... and quote it in this thread because, it is just too funny for one thread about crazy 13 year old Roy Harper.
Well, I grew up in and around the Detroit area...and I never touched the stuff. It's no worse here than any other big city (well at least back then).
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Well, I grew up in and around the Detroit area...and I never touched the stuff. It's no worse here than any other big city (well at least back then).

That's a valid point. Growing up in Oklahoma, if I walked out into the right 'fallow field' full of jimson weed, I could find the hidden pot fields, tucked away out of sight of the roads, so it's not like Detroit deserves to be singled out. Depending on the drug, you could find stuff *anywhere.*

I was just kinda poking fun at how over-the-top these things were, and, ultimately, kinda self-defeating, since, by exaggerating so badly, they only made their message easier to dismiss.

It wasn't as bad as Jack Chick's anti-D&D tracts, but it was still pretty silly.

On the other hand, what ever happened to Protector? He showed up in a few actual comics, IIRC, such as Donna and He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named's wedding, so he's kinda/sorta canonically a real character. Did he have powers, or was he just a Robin fill-in?

And how about that costume! Red and purple? Yowza. If you aren't Durlan, you're not pulling that off, buddy!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I actually grew up near Fresno, and you can substitue Fresno for Detroit if you would like.

I'm sure some people have a very wholesome time growing up there but, it's got a whole lot of bad stuff going on.

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Dossier on The Protector from the excellent TITANS TOWER website

The Protector was at Donna's wedding? I have missed that all these years! Page # please!

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not saying Detroit is an angelic city...way too many problems to name...especially now with the corruption that plagues the city's leadership.

Chick Traks were so incredible awesome...why? Because they were so incredible horrid!

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

...and thank you for that link...I love that!!!
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:

It wasn't as bad as Jack Chick's anti-D&D tracts, but it was still pretty silly.

I almost died laughing. [LOL]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.