Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » If you like the Teen Titans, you’re going to love…Danger Club! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you like the Teen Titans, you’re going to love…Danger Club!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Danger Club, by Image Comics, just had a #1 released. It is one of the best opening issues of a series I’ve ever read, and it is one of the freshest intros to a ‘teen superhero’ universe in a long time. The creative team was responsible for “Adventures of Supergirl in the 8th Grade”, which apparently was fantastic; they bring that level of quality here but without the ‘adorable-ness’, and instead give a pretty striking depiction of teenage superheroes thrust into a complicated situation.

The story’s premise is the superheroes of the world went into space to deal with a crisis...and then never returned. The teen superheroes, some sidekicks and some not, were left behind in the wake to pick up the pieces. The most powerful among them, Apollo, (very Superboy-esque), goes on a power trip, and begins using his power to become almost quasi-dictatorial. Most of the teen superheroes, confused and bewildered, follow his lead.

Enter the Danger Club. A group of teens, like the Teen Titans, who decide to put the kibosh on that. The lead is a character named Kid Vigilante, who is a little Robin-esque, while the rest of the Danger Club are pretty unique without any obvious analogues (Magician, Yoshimi and Fearless). By the end of #1, this entire premise is dealt with in a major and dramatic way (I won’t spoil it). The issue is PACKED with action & things happening. And just when you think ‘where do they go from here?’, you start to see the premise is much broader than you originally thought. Including the question, what if whatever killed / removed all the adult heroes, makes its way to Earth?

Beyond a great premise and really fascinating characters, the story is one of the best written #1’s I’ve ever read. And the art is to die for, packing intensity & energy in each panel. But less you think it was uber-serious, the issue also had a nice dose of humor. In the beginning, there is a faux-Silver Age cover featuring what the Danger Club’s adventures might look like in a more wholesome era. This is very much like the Alan Moore Supreme throwback images (though realize its only done briefly).

This was a really terrific series, and I’d love it if people here would sample it! I think it could easily be the next big thing at Image, and reviews are certainly saying the same thing. There was a big buzz about it in the week leading up to its release so I actually rushed over on a Wednesday to get it (something I hardly EVER do). My CBS already sold out of it (it’s sold out the distributer level) but another local CBS has several copies still available. So—if you want to try it but your CBS is sold out, let me know! I’d gladly grab you a copy. I’m hoping this series continues and want to support it anyway I can.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Comicosity gives it 9 out of 10!

Stash My Comics gives it 9.5 out of 10!

Newsarama gives it 9 out of 10! (scroll down a bit)

Retailer Larry's Comics ranks it the best comic book yet this year!

Third Eye Comics says Danger Club is a MUST READ

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Your words sway me. I'll have to check for it at the CBS. Hopefully it hasn't sold out.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

If it has, I shall find you a copy!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Thanks Cobie! I have a crisp $50 bill I am taking to the CBS tomorrow, and have written down both DANGER CLUB and WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN as titles I should look for!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I scored a copy of Danger Club # 1! I am totes trusting the opinion of Cobiekins and am looking forward to reading it!

I want my pull list to be Image-heavy! [Smile]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Can't wait to hear your thoughts! You're totes gonna love it, starting with the first page (which btw is done in a method we both love).
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I read DANGER CLUB # 1... and am SO into it!

While issue 1 was very chaotic, I found myself intrigued enough to want to learn more- much more!

It reminds me a little of BRAT PACK with a pinch of WELCOME TO TRANQUILITY.

I don't believe at all that Apollo is gone for good and I totes look forward to meeting all those kid heroes!!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I knew you'd live it! Anyone with good taste and a personality summed up best as TOTALLY TITS would love the awesomeness of Danger Club!

The rest of LW best jump on board early! Otherwise you'll be like a scrub trying to catch up to Walking Dead at issue #99 when everyone is already dead!

The Brat Pack / Welcome description is pretty solid. And I also expect Apollo to be a longtime character / enemy / frenemy? of this series.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Jeepers! I'm only a half-assed Teen Titans fan, but I'm wondering if I should check this out!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yes! From a story-telling perspective it does something totally cool. It introduces the literary world these characters live in and the major problem going on, and then subsequently how the characters fail to even address the problem, instead creating an even bigger one. #1 deals with the Danger Club battling the second problem, and within 22 pages you feel like you get this totally complete and satisfied story. And then on the last page you're like: oh crap, there's still the thing that got us here in the first place! It was a great solid story while also a terrific intro to the larger series.

Plus, it nicely embraces two types of tones for teen heroes: a retro vibe (they are called the Danger Club after all) and a more kick-ass, aggressive vibe. And it WORKS.

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Dang it. Could not remember the name of this series when I hit the CBS. I know they didn;''t have it though, because I was sure to sacan all the #1's, and would have remembered if I had seen it. Maybe at the con next month.

sigh...not enough money or time.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I'd been mulling this one over for weeks and finally decided to pick it up today on what was a light week for me.

What had me on the fence was that I'm really gravitating away from the superhero genre and am especially looking for something different in new indies I pick up.

In the end I went with the recommendations, Image's latest batting average and the knowledge that even superhero books with familiar conceits can transcend their trappings if done right.

That said, I won't get to it for a few weeks. I'll let y'all know when I get to it!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Looking forward to your thoughts, Lardy! Until about three days before it came out, I wasn't sure I'd buy it either. But I'm glad I did--I thought it was a delightful surprise.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Hmmm... I read # 2.

I'm not so sure anymore... I thought this book MIGHT become my new 'Welcome to Tranquility' or 'Brat Pack' but that appears to be far from the case this issue.

I'm not interested in reading a teen-hero slaughterfest... (not that this issue WAS one, but things are going pear-shaped indeed)

I will see how issue 3 goes before I commit either way.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.