Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » The all-CLEOME thread! (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: The all-CLEOME thread!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Today Legion World watches and speculates over Cleome's potential achievement of Time Trapper Status!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
She's pretty chatty...
Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes. She's so chatty, she should change her name to Cathy.

[Wink]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Or Elizabeth Cady Stanton!
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Since Legion Tracker asked for my slaw recipe, here it is!

Click Here For A Spoiler
CALICO SLAW:

Allow yourself at least an hour or so before serving. Better yet, make it the night before.

A food processor is your friend here. Though it will be easier to get large/coarse pieces if you cut by hand.

Ingredients:

1 sm, or ½ a large head of red cabbage
2 sweet peppers, any color(s) you like. (Or one sweet pepper and one large carrot)
4-6 stalks celery, include the leaves if they’re there
1 10 oz can of corn (NOT creamed), drained, liquid reserved in a small mixing bowl.

¾ C white or cider vinegar
½ C olive or other vegetable oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp dry mustard
1 T caraway or poppy seed

Directions:

Rinse all veggies.

Remove the core and the outermost leaf (or leaves) from the cabbage and discard them. Shred or chop (fine or coarse is up to you) and place in a (very large) mixing bowl. There should be 10-12 cups. It will shrink/pack down a little after seasoning.

Remove stem, seeds, and membrane from the peppers. Chop them coarsely and add to bowl. (If using carrot, peel and remove the ends. Then chop or slice thinly.)

Trim any dried or brown ends from the celery stalks. Use a vegetable peeler to remove any discolored areas. Slice thinly and add to bowl.

Add the drained corn. Mix everything gently to combine.

Prepare the dressing: Combine all remaining ingredients with the corn liquid that you’ve reserved in the small mixing bowl. Mix well to dissolve sugar and salt. (There should be 1 3/4 to 2 C of dressing altogether.) Add them to the chopped veggies and mix/toss gently but thoroughly.

Pack the mixture into one or two large containers and cover tightly with lids. Let “steep” at room temperature for at least one-half hour, turning and shaking occasionally in the covered containers to mix the dressing around well.

Taste the slaw and correct the seasonings if you like. (The proportions here are pretty mild. That is, only moderately salty/sweet/sour/spicy.) If you correct them, let the slaw sit out again at room temp for another 30 mins. Refrigerate once you’ve got the seasonings as you want them, at least 1/2 hour before serving.

Makes about 10 cups of slaw. Keeps well in the refrigerator for at least a week.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Question!

Can I substitute vodka for the white vinegar?

cleome46

[Yes]

Only really, really expensive vodka, though.

--------------------

Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
The recipe looks calico-licious, cleome. I'll have to make it for the next potluck. Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
That DOES look good C ... the wife and I will give that a try the next time we're making a mess in the kitchen! [LOL]

Get your mind out of the gutter!
[Wink]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

[sulks]

I wasn't gonna' say anything about it, Dude.

[whistles, looks at ceiling] [Good]

BTW, still eating the leftovers. Not as photogenic as they were on Day One, but still tasty.

--------------------

future king

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
Leftovers are always better anyways! [Big Grin]
From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Did somebody say... Gingerbread?!

(This stuff is not for weaklings. It's dense and it's DARK. Don't be surprised if when you pull it out of the oven, it looks more like chocolate cake than like traditional gingerbread. Cover any uneaten portion loosely after it's cooled. Good the first day, better the second.)

Click Here For A Spoiler
Ingredients:
1 T cider vinegar
3/4 C Milk
2 C Flour (sift once before measuring!)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves OR coriander OR cardamom
1/3 C sugar
1 egg
1/2 C dark molasses
1/4 C honey

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease an 8" x 8" x 2" pan.

Add the vinegar to the milk, and set aside. Sift together twice the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the shortening. Add the sugar gradually and cream well. Add the egg and whip until fluffy. Add the molasses and honey and mix.

Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture, about 1/4 at a time, alternately with the (by this time) curdled milk. Stir only until mixed after each addition.

Turn into prepared pan and bake 40-45 minutes, or until bread rebounds to the touch when pressed gently in the center.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I can't believe I missed this! Thanks for the recipes, cleome. I'll definitely give them a try soon.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king

Count me in too. I already showed this to my wife and she's game to try.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.