Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Soup, soup, soup, soup, soup! (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Soup, soup, soup, soup, soup!
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I once tried to make a potato-broccoli soup. Used too much lemon juice though - I keep forgetting that when a recipe calls for juice, it usually means 1/2 juice and 1/2 water.

I have more success with my grandma's Cream of Squash recipe. Squash with potatoes, bell peppers, onions, carrots and radish - healthy goodness.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
You guys should try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgolemono

You will want to eat the bowl when you're done. It's that good! [Drool]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Batchoy from the Philippines!

and

Egg Drop Soup from China.

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Egg Drop Soup from China.
A cheap and easy version is to mix Sun Bird Egg Drop soup mix with an egg according to the instructions. While it's heating up, rip up a hot dog roll or piece of bread and toss it in a bowl with some soy sauce, before pouring the soup in. The soy sauce spices it up, and the bread adds some 'body' to it.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
 -

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:

Recipe, please! [Drool]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
To add some "beef" to my above post you guys should check out this:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/meatballs-in-egg-and-lemon-broth-youvarlakia-avgolemono-recipe/index.html

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:

Recipe, please! [Drool]
Here you go, cleome [Wink]

La Paz Batchoy Ingredients:

300 grams pork kidney
1/4 kilo pork Lapay (spleen)
1/4 kilo pork tenderloin
200 grams pork liver
1 tablespoon ginger, cut into fine strips
1 head garlic, minced
1 medium onion, minced
5 cups water (or chicken broth if you use chicken meat)
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons patis
200 g. fresh miki, washed
for toppings:
spring onions, chopped
toasted garlic (fried separately)
1/2 cup pork cracklings or chicharon, pounded to your preference
whole raw egg for each bowl serving

La Paz Batchoy Cooking Instructions:

In a large pot, pour in 10-12 c. of stock (from boiled beef and pork bones) and add all broth ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and blanch shrimp until cooked.
Remove shrimp from the pot, remove shell and head each shrimp, set aside.
Add in pork, chicken and liver in the pot, let simmer for 20–25 minutes or until pork, chicken and liver are tender add more stock if necessary.
Remove pork, chicken and liver from the pot, drain and let cool.
Continue simmering the broth in low heat until ready to serve, season with salt to taste.
Slice the pork, chicken and liver into thin strips and set aside.
Place noodles in serving bowl and pour strained boiling stock over the noodles. Top with pork, chicken, liver, shrimp. Garnish with chicharon, spring onion and fried garlic.
Serve immediately.

Grabbed it from here . You could substitute most of the meat items for something else, if they're not available. I suggest shrimp, chicken and pork.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Here'sanother recipe that got some good comments:

BATCHOY INGREDIENTS
1 head garlic, crushed
2 medium-size onions, sliced
1/2 kilo pork, sliced into strips
1/4 kilo pork liver, sliced into strips
1 green papaya, sliced into strips
1 finger pepper
2 packs misua noodles
cooking oil
4 cups water
sugar to taste
pepper to taste
2 tbsps. fish sauce

BATCHOY PROCEDURE
1. Heat oil and saute garlic, onion and pork. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Add water and all the other ingredients except the misua noodles.
3. Season with sugar, pepper and fish sauce according to taste. Allow to simmer until cooked.
4. Add the misua noodles and continue to simmer for 5 minutes

Truthfully, I think only the pork, noodles, fish sauce, and broth are truly essential. There are as many variations of that recipe as there are islands in the Philippines [Razz]

--------------------

future king

Soup for the soul:
http://lanne67-crocodilesoup.blogspot.com/

cleome46

Last Friday, I fixed Butternut Squash soup for the first time ever. It was quite a lot of work, but totally worth it. Would definitely eat it again.

[Yes]

--------------------

Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
^ It's been years since I made butternut squash soup, but it was very good!

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

I use squash, just plain squash, and have no idea what variety it is. But I agree, it is AWESOME.

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Squash soup is wonderful, with heaps of fresh ginger. And curry and garlic and cayenne. (I like it hot!)

Yesterday I made a fantastic soup, but it was one-of-a-kind, just a bunch of leftovers thrown together. Impossible to recreate. Beauty is fleeting.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.