Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Lightle Checklist (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Lightle Checklist
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Borrowing a page from Nightcrawler, here's a checklist for Steve.

Comics
Action Comics #607 (cover)
Adventure Comics 80-Page Giant #1 ("Glug-Glug Ka-Pow")
Adventures of the Outsiders #'s 40 (reprint of "Grip of the Untouchables, Part One" from Outsiders #2), 41 (reprint of "Grip of the Untouchables, Part Two" from Outsiders #3)
Amazing Spider-Man '96
Avengers Spotlight #'s 34 (cover), 35 (cover), 36 (cover), 37 (cover), 38 (cover), 39 (cover), 40 (cover)
Aztek: The Ultimate Man #'s 6 (cover), 7 (cover), 8 (cover), 9 (cover), 10 (cover)
Batman #400
Batman and the Outsiders #10
Bolt and Starforce Six #1 (cover)
Bolt Special #1 (cover)
Cosmic Boy #'s 1 (cover), 2 (cover), 3 (cover), 4 (cover)
DC Challenge #12
Doom Patrol #'s 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Extreme Justice #8 (cover)
Flash #'s 10 (cover), 11 (cover), 117 (cover), 126 (cover), 130 (cover), 131 (cover), 132 (cover), 133 (cover), 134 (cover), 135 (cover), 136 (cover), 137 (cover), 138 (cover), 139 (cover), 140 (cover), 141 (cover), 142 (cover), 143 (cover), 144 (cover), 145 (cover), 146 (cover), 1000000 (cover)
Flash Annual #10 (inks "Sound and Fury")
Flash Secret Files # 1 (cover)
Fourth World Gallery (Mr. Miracle pin-up)
Foxfire #1 (cover)
History of the DC Universe Hardcover (Legion of Super-Heroes pin-up)
Legends of the Legion #'s 1 (cover), 2 (cover), 3 (cover), 4 (cover)
The Legion #24, 34
Legion of Super-Heroes #'s 3, 4, 5, 6 (cover), 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (cover), 12, 13, 14, 15 (cover), 16, 23, 25 (cover), 26 (cover), 27 (cover), 28 (cover), 29 (cover), 30 (cover), 31 (cover), 32 (cover), 33 (cover), 34 (cover), 35 (cover), 37 (cover), 39 (cover), 40 (cover), 41 (cover), 42 (cover), 43 (cover), 44 (cover), 51 (cover), 52 (cover), 53 (cover), 55 (cover), 56 (cover), 57 (cover), 58 (cover), 59 (cover), 60 (cover), 61 (cover), 62 (cover), 63 (cover)
Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #2 (cover)
Marvel Comics Presents #'s 56, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 144, 145 (cover), 150, 151, 166, 175
Mighty Mouse #'s 8 (cover), 9 (cover)
New Talent Showcase #'s 4, 5, 6
New Teen Titans #26 (cover)
Outsiders #'s 2, 3
Peking Tom & Bobbi Sox #1
Power Pack #'s 55 (cover), 56 (cover), 57 (cover)
Quasar #16 (cover), 39, 40
Red Sonja: A Death In Scarlet #1
Robert E. Howard's Horror
Robert E. Howard's Myth Maker
Secret Origins #8 (cover)
Showcase '96 #'s 11 (cover), 12 (cover)
Spider-Man: Return of the Sinsiter Six (Spider-Man pin-up)
Spider-Man: Round Robin The Sidekick's Revenge (Spider-Man and Punisher pin-up)
Spider-Man: Strange Adventures (cover)
Spider-Man Summer Special '95 (cover, available via QVC)
Spirits of Venom (Ghost Rider and Venom pin-up)
Venom: Sinner Takes All #4 (cover)
Venom, The Hunger #1 (cover)
Very Best of Spider-Man (cover)
Who's Who in the DC Universe #'s 2 (Secret Six), 3 (Black Racer), 6 (Ayla Ranzz), 7 (Aqualad), 13 (Reverse-Flash), 14 (Lady Quark)
Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe #'s 3 (Blok), 5 (Colossal Boy), 8 (Fatal Five), 12 (Karate Kid), 13 (Legion of Super-Villians), 16 (Mon-El), 18 (Polar Boy), 20 (Sensor Girl, Shadow Lass), 23 (Tellus, Timber Wolf)
Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Update '87 #'s 3 (Kalki), 4 (Mentalla)
Wolfshead #1
Wonder Woman Secret Files #1 (Circe)
World's Finest #'s 304, 306
X-Factor #32
X-Men Adventures # (cover)
X-Men Summer Special '95 (cover, available via QVC)

Trading Cards
Marvel Universe Series II #'s 5 (Phoenix), 70 (Mysterio), 96 (Avengers vs. Kang), 107 (Fantastic Four vs. Galactus), 111 (Nick Fury vs. Baron Strucker), 112 (Spider-man vs. Lizard), 117 (X-Men vs. Marauders), 143 (Kraven)
Marvel Universe Series IV #'s 46 (Dr. Strange), 47 (Dormammu), 48 (Beta Ray Bill), 49 (Loki), 50 (Cobweb), 51 (Blackheart), 52 (Sleepwalker), 53 (Thor), 54 (Hellstorm)
Marvel Universe 1994 #199 (Typhoid Mary)

Miscellaneous
History of the DC Universe Portfolio (Legion of Super-Heroes)
Toonami Batman Vs Superman
OnStar Batman Adventure: Interactive Comic Book

This list is courtesy of Quantum Zone and was compiled by Will Allred.

[ November 22, 2003, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for posting this list, LL!

Will Allred is a great guy, and he voluntarily went to a lot of trouble to compile that list.

Unfortunately, both he and I are aware that it's not a complete list of my comic work. The problem is that I've never kept a log of all of my published work. I know that I've done a few X-Men paperback book covers, a Spider-man Christmas story (with Stan Lee) which frequently gets printed in collections, a Wonder Woman pin-up, and a Mister Miracle cover ... but that's only the tip of the iceberg. There's lots of other books that I'm sure I've simply overlooked or forgotten.

If anyone can add to the list, I'll be glad to pass them on to Will, who is always mentioning that he'd like to update the checklist.

Thanks!

Steve Lightle

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Steve,

Didn't you also do a bunch of "Classic X-Men" covers?

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! How could I have missed that omission? I drew covers and frontispieces for Classic X-Men and (after editorial title alteration) X-Men Classic, for about two years!

It should have been obvious to me, but I guess I just assumed that Classic was listed. I'll have to mention this to Will.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Steve

Legion Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I did a search on Steve Lightle at comics.org, and this is what I got http://www.comics.org/search.lasso?type=penciller&query=steve+lightle&sort=alpha .

Comics.org is great. It's amazing how many people don't know about it. Because it's a database, if the comic has been indexed, it'll show up. Just about everything from the silver age on is there. It's all in chronological order, too, except when people screw up the date field. Other than that, it makes life a lot easier.

--------------------
My powers are Legion!

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the list and the link Legion Lad. I had forgotten about GCD since I had trouble accessing it last year, even from the LAN at work. But it looks like they've worked out whatever bugs they had.

I did want to point out one thing though. Nothing major just something I noticed after looking at the list then looking at your post. It looks to me like the list is alphabetical and not chronological.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Lad
Applicant

That Adventure Comics shouldn't be where it is. Otherwise, New Talent Showcase and World's Finest are on the first page, followed by Legion, followed by Tales of the Legion (with some Who's Whos mixed in for luck). And the dates all follow one after another in chronological order.

--------------------
My powers are Legion!

Legion Lad
Applicant

Okay, I see what you mean. With page two it looks like it switches to alphabetical order. Weird.

Oh, well. Talk about judging a book by its cover...

--------------------
My powers are Legion!

SteveLightle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the link.

Although that would seem to be the last word on the subject, I did find a few errors and ommissions.

I don't think I've ever drawn Supreme, and they missed an issue of Showcase. The Adventure Comics Annual certainly wasn't published in 1980 ... And I can't remember if they included my Avengers covers. In fact, they may have missed several Marvel covers.

Still, quite a few comics did get listed. Maybe even a couple that had slipped my mind.

Steve

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh boy! I just saw 2 pages of the Red Sonja (Cross Plains) art and it was superb! Beautiful, detailed scenery - and I don't mean the women, although they were okay if you like that sort of thing (just kidding). I was never a Red Sonja fan, but I'm going to try and track this one down.
From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
RED SONJA's been a real sore point with me for a long time. Not long after I got hooked on the series (thanks mostly to Frank Thorne's art), Roy Thomas passed the buck on the writing to somebody who had no idea what they were doing. Then, Frank left in the MIDDLE of a story (always a bad thing) and was replaced by John Buscema-- who, surprisingly, was a serious step DOWN! (Who'da thought?) For years after, RS was repeatedly revived, and every time, it got worse and worse-- one horribly lame effort after another.

Then Steve Lightle comes along and does the BEST rendition of her in 20 years-- which reminded a lot of Barry Smith's, in fact-- and a multi-part story gets CANCELLED after only one episode. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!

While, in a mostly-unrelated vein, people continue to dismiss comics as only for kids and "illiterates"-- while actual ILLITERACY in this country continues to rise. Kids NEED to learn how to READ!!! Wouldn't enjoying the adventures of a half-naked sword-woman be a great way to do it?

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Your opinions on Red Sonja pretty much mirror the one I read in the Slings & Arrows Guide - great with Thorne, then forget about it until the Lightle issue. I must have seen one of the Buscema or later books back then, because I sure wasn't impressed.

I'm sure we'd never get bikini-clad sword women into the public school system! And a shame it is too, because exciting stories - with beautiful and complex pictures - would certainly entice kids.

Edward Said, the Columbia U. professor/expert on Palestine & the Middle East, wrote about how wonderful superhero comics were to him as a young student - they were so far from the boxed-in, rules-driven education he was receiving and they sent his imagination soaring.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

One of the things that made the Red Sonja:Death in Scarlet book especially interesting to me, was that it was an addition to my short list of writing credits. Although the original plan was that Roy Thomas would write the story and I would provide the art, Roy's other commitments made it difficult for him to spend much time on the early stages of the project. Ultimately, I suggested the idea of it being a prequel to her Marvel Comics adventures, rather than a continuation of what they had done with the character. I suggested my ideas to Roy in a lengthy phone conversation, then drew the story without a formal written plot. The final script was a combination of my suggested dialogue and Roy's revisions.

The single published issue was important for another reason, as well. Marianne (under the pseudonym TAYREZA) was the colorist, and she did a fantastic job, as usual.

Red Sonja was Cross Plains Comics' most profitable book. Unfortunately, great debts had already been incurred on other titles, making it difficult to continue. Then, when CPC's licensing deal with Red Sonja Corp. came up for an expensive renewal, that was the end. Our original plan was to produce two three part Red Sonja miniseries each year.

I enjoyed the creative freedom that the project afforded, and would have liked to have seen it continue.

When all is said and done, I'm glad that the single issue that did get published was at least well received by those that got a copy. It apparently sold its entire print run very quickly. There were even plans to release another version of the issue, with a photo cover featuring wrestler Sable as Red Sonja.

All in all it was a very successful book that never reached its true sales potential.

Thanks for your kind words about the art, and good luck in your efforts to hunt down a copy of the issue.

Steve Lightle

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
This brings a couple of things to my mind...

In COMIC BOOK ARTIST (I believe), it became apparent that Roy Thomas & Neal Adams had different opinions of who actually "wrote" their issues of X-MEN. (Neal claimed Roy only supplied dialogue.)

Also, that TALES TO ASTONISH issue where Jack Kirby filled in for Gene Colan-- AND Roy Thomas filled in for Stan Lee. Roy wrote, in my opinion, some of the BEST superhero dialogue of his career on that. Roy can be "stuffy", but teamed with Kirby-- WOW!!! It's the kind of thing that makes me wish Roy had been teamed with Jack more often-- IF ONLY to tighten up some dialogue! I say this because it's obvious from all of Roy's work on CONAN that he has a lot of respect for other writers' work. Imagine how it might have been had Roy done for NEW GODS what he did for RED SONJA!

And finally... SOMEBODY should really pick up the ball on this RED SONJA thing. A 2nd edition with a new cover is just a MORONIC idea (I hate whenever anybody does more than one cover of any book, it's just a sickening, shameless marketing ploy). But this 3-parter NEEDS to be finished off & published by SOMEBODY. Has anyone gotten a new license for a RED SONJA comic? If / when it ever happens, they owe it to themselves AND the fans to finish the job Cross Plains started.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
If there is such a thing as a Lightle completist ... JLA-Z #1 contains a full page drawing of Black Canary by yours truly. This issue should be in the stores now, although I haven't seen the printed version yet myself. You can probably check it out when you go to get your copy of LEGION #24 (hint hint!).

Steve

Everything you need to know about the World’s Greatest Super-Heroes!
JLA-Z

Get ready for a 3-issue handbook to DC's greatest super-team featuring artwork by some of the biggest names in comics, timed to coincide with JLA/AVENGERS, the biggest inter-company crossover of the decade!

JLA-Z, written by Mike McAvennie, features a who’s who of top comics artists: Jim Lee, Scott McDaniel, Scott Kolins, Steve Lightle, Rob Haynes, Patrick Gleason, Dan Jurgens, Jeff Parker, Pascual Ferry, Tom Nguyen, Peter Pachoumis, Scott Williams, Christian Alamy, and more! Plus, JLA-Z #1 features the first of a triptych of covers spotlighting every member of the JLA family illustrated by Phil Jimenez (originally featured in Wizard magazine)!

The first stunning issue covers villains and heroes from Amazo to Green Arrow, and subsequent issues will continue with biographical information and stats on every hero to ever be affiliated with the JLA in alphabetical order! Don’t miss this essential resource for anyone who plans on picking up JLA/AVENGERS!

JLA-Z is a 3-issue miniseries co-edited by Ivan Cohen and Steve Wacker. The 32-page issue #1 arrives in comic-book stores September 3 with a cover price of $2.50 U.S

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.