Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Steve Lightle's Kid Quantum

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steve Lightle's Kid Quantum
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
It's been discussed and now here it is:

-

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Nice as the art was for most of the issue ,I do have to say that, on the last page or two, KQ2 just looked... off. I don't know - I never thought of her as baby-faced, but here, with the huge eyes, she's über-baby faced. And with the contrast to a spot-on Umbra, it was awkward to say the least.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad that you liked my version of Tasmia. Maybe if you'd seen as many panels of my Kid Quantum, she'd have grown on you.

I did research other artist's versions of her and found them to range between tough to mannish .. and yes, even cute. In my opinion, the idea of having the only black woman in the group looking severe ... well, it just didn't feel right. So I opted for a youthful and feminine interpretation. If she looks cute, so be it. After all, who said that a modern woman isn't capable of both cuteness and a powerful commanding presence? As all men learn, sooner or later, females generally don't conform to simple patterns or types.

Of course, you are free to disagree. You pay for the comic and you are entitled to your opinion. I've got no problems with that. I did want you to understand my reasoning, though.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Steve, although this may sound like sucking up, I have to say I haven't seen KQ drawn better.

I love your rendition. I hope we get to see it again in your next issue.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting reasoning for her look, it matches what I see as her very personal approach to leadership, how she gets involved with individual's problems/situations instead of just barking orders. I certainly didn't like her mannish look, and thought her haircut made her look more severe generally.

We really only see two panels of her face in this issue. My initial reaction was "baby-faced" in the close-up (maybe it's the curly lashes?), but I would certainly like to see a lot more of Steve's Kid Q, in different situations. In the top panel, she looks fine, cute, big eyes.

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
"mannish?" I don't recall that.

I've liked all the renditions of Kid Q since Coipel began, including this one. The wide set big eye look is unique, and very (central) African I might add.

The thong still gives me the urge to scratch, something, anything.

I LOVE the kind of regal look of Tasmia in the first panel. I am not sure if I would want her to get TOO soft and chummy.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
The wider-set eyes are a Lightle hallmark from decades back. It's been part of nearly all his female faces. Take a look at his v3 work on the LSV characters, or on Mentalla (modeled on his wife, Tayreza).

We're used to wider-set eyes suggesting a younger age. From what I've gathered, this comes from human physiology. Bones in the skull do all grow in overall size as the body changes, though not nearly as far in absolute size. An adolescent's head is less than half as big as an infant's, in terms of proportion to the rest of the body.

Yet, especially in the face, most skull bones don't grow with notable differences relative to each other. (One exception is the initial gap in the bone shielding in the crown of a baby's head, allowing for growth of bone plates to fully protect the brain.) If they did, faces wouldn't remain recognizable as we develop into and past adolescence.

Distances between eyes, between each eye and the nose, between each of these and the cheek and jaw bones, these all tend to remain (proportionately) nearly the same throughout life, barring injury or growth problems. The face we're dealt is nearly all genetic.

Wider-set eyes in children and pre-adolescents don't appear quite as pronounced when we're older, and have a larger skull for their setting. Steve's stylistic preference tends to accentuate youth among these characters. We only see one Legionnaire other than Umbra in this setting, so the tendency is made even more evident.

I believe the matter of the eyes isn't noticed as much with Umbra here because of her swept-back, pointed ears. They become a bit of a (gorgeous) distraction.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Jazmin is very relaxed and even happy in this sequence. I think it's showing on her face. She was introduced as a fairly angry person, very tough. She settled into her role as a Legionnaire, but then Lost happened. When they returned, she cut all that bad energy off with her hair, and found herself elected leader. It's no wonder her depictions in the past have been "strong" or "stern." Under her leadership, the Legion has put Ra's and Universo away, so she's feeling pretty accomplished as leader. This is the perfect time to see her bright eyed and bushy tailed (couldn't resist....). I think Steve did a great job depicting her.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Best Jazmin I've ever seen! Thanks Steve!

lil'rhino

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
Simply Beautiful, I want Steve as Regular artist!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Hear Hear! A care package of prunes is on the way. A regular artist is a happy artist.

quote:
Originally posted by SteveLightle:

Of course, you are free to disagree. ... I did want you to understand my reasoning, though.

Steve

What more could a fan ask? It's the best things about comics. As a fan, it is a bit unnerving sometimes to try and express an opinion knowing creators are lurking. I certainly (generally [Big Grin] ) would not want to insult ANYONE, but I LOVE to analyze. I LOVE hearing a person's reasoning, particularly when it comes to NON analytical things such as art often is.

Your patience is appreciated.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.