Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Legion of Super Heroes #13

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Legion of Super Heroes #13
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Steve,

This issue is one of my all time favorites in my extensive collection.

I love the cover, and the story. Timber Wolf has always been among the upper few Legionnaires for me, and you artwork on his spotlight issue was fantastic.

Just wanted to gush for a minute.

Thanks.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
This the Lythle (?) one, planting the seed?

GREAT COMIC! had the works: cover, story, art, SF...

certainly one of the most memorable and also one of my favorites.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
yes, it's the Lythyl planet, where Timber Wolf met Karate Kid's wish/will that he planted a seed in Lythyl so the planet would be "cracked open". [Smile]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
This was the first of Steve's issues that I just had to buy again out here in San Diego. (Since my original copy is packed away at my mother's house in Indiana.)
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I actually first read this story when it was reprinted in ToLSH (338?), and loved it as well.

I honestly prefer that issue's cover to LSH 13's. More symbolic of the story, and Steve had continued to develop as an artist, so I thought it just looked better overall! [Big Grin]

[ October 02, 2003, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Low-Middle-Income Lad ]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
 -  -

[ October 02, 2003, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: Low-Middle-Income Lad ]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
If I remember correctly, Steve said that one of them from the cover also appears on Legion #24 cover. Not sure I am right, corrections are welcome.
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to find all those reprint books...I have like the first three and that's it.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, although I don't think I actually used any of these alien combatants on the cover of Legion #24, I do think the cover of #24 has a similar design to LoSH #13. I submitted other cover designs that I preferred, but the one that we ultimately used was chosen by the editor and DC's cover editor. It felt a bit too familiar to me, but I guess that's no big thing.

Just to prove that artists are never fully satisfied, even though the cover to LoSH #13 was one of my favorites, I was disappointed with the coloring. I'm not sure why the blazing sun is the same exact shade as the sky. To my mind, that works against the impact I was trying to achieve.

By the way ... I do often include little extras in my work, like familiar aliens on the cover of #24 (though not from the cover of LoSH #13) ... I also included the hand of my first DC creation EKKO (from New Talent Showcase). When it came time to draw the reprint cover for Tales I drew him in the crowd again. Of course he's not colored correctly in either case. LOL.

Let's see, what other memories does this topic stir up ... My original plan was to have TIMBER WOLF written across the top the book, in place of the familiar logo. We had "Legion of Super-Heroes" scrawled over the aliens at the bottom. The DC bullet was even to appear at the bottom on the lower left corner. At the last minute Paul decided not to go with it that way fearing, I suppose, that
some readers might miss the issue if they were looking for the familiar logo. My Timber Wolf logo was later used in the Legion Index series, and I recreated it for Brin's Who's Who entry.

LoSH #13 was a fun issue because Timber Wolf was my favorite Legionnaire at the time, despite the fact that he had been treated rather poorly for awhile. Before Brin, Karate Kid was my favorite character, so this issue was bound to be a milestone for me ... as a Legion fan given the opportunity to draw the book.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

about Timber Wolf's own logo, I loved your design in his Who's Who design...one of the best logo design I have seen in a while. To be honest with you, I WISH The Timber Wolf mini-series should have used that logo instead of that one. Your logo does click better with Timber Wolf's personality than the one they had on his mini-series.
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd have loved to do a real Timber Wolf mini series.

Thanks for the logo comment, by the way.

Steve

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow Kid
Talokian Super-Hunk

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Kid   Email Shadow Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Just to prove that artists are never fully satisfied, even though the cover to LoSH #13 was one of my favorites, I was disappointed with the coloring. I'm not sure why the blazing sun is the same exact shade as the sky. To my mind, that works against the impact I was trying to achieve.

I quite like the red sun. It looks very sci fi

quote:
LoSH #13 was a fun issue because Timber Wolf was my favorite Legionnaire at the time, despite the fact that he had been treated rather poorly for awhile.
For a long time Timber Wolf was my favourite legionnaire too. Just out of interest, what do you think of the current T-Wolf design?
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
 -
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
*WOOF*!

*pant*pant*
lil'rhino

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.